Resources concerning RPCNA distinctives from NON-RP points of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Hello all:

I have recently begun to study the theology of the RPCNA and was wondering if those of you who are familiar with the denomination and it's distinctives could give me some guidance. I am a lifetime member of the PCA but I know several outstanding people in the RP and am drawn to some of their theological emphasis. I have begun to talk with some with these guys and have been impressed with what I have found but I wanted to make sure that I heard both sides of the discussion. I would be particularly interested to hear from those of you who are familiar with the RPCNA but are not members. What are the arguments that keep you from joining? Here are a few of the particular issues that I would like to hear the non-RP view on:

1. Church calendar
2. Exclusive Psalmody
3. Instruments in Worship
4. Social Covenanting

I'm not trying to start an RP bashing post or anything so please don't think that I want to just pick a fight. But I would like to hear what both sides have to say. Thanks for your input!

In Christ,
Ben

Perhaps a subject-line change would be in order, then? "Problems with the RPCNA" doesn't seem to describe what you want to talk about.

If yoou want to get to know them more fully, make sure you consider all of their documents--not only confession and catechisms, but their historical testimony as well.

Last edited:
Perhaps a subject-line change would be in order, then? "Problems with the RPCNA" doesn't seem to describe what you want to talk about.

:ditto:

Also, opposition to the church calendar and a cappella exclusive psalmody are not unique to the RPCNA.

I am not in the RPCNA currently, but served as a member for 7 years and a deacon for 4 years.

todd pedlar:Good idea, how's the new heading?

Rev. Todd Ruddell: Good suggestions, I have found some good materials for the RP positions, but I haven't found a lot dealing with these issues from a non-RP standpoint. Do you know of any good articles or lectures? (Preferably online:)

I do not know of any "anti-RP" materials, or sites, nor was I suggesting to go and look for some. The point of my post was that the RPCNA has added many things to their original founding documents by way of their historical testimony--and, if you're considering that denomination, you ought to read that historical testimony to get a full picture of what that denomination believes. I would be happy to discuss with you, (offline, of course) any questions or disagreements you might have with their HT, on an issue by issue basis. It has been a few years since I've read through it. Perhaps a safer route for you to take might be to read through their HT, and if you have any questions about a particular issue, bring it up here at the PB for discussion, apart from bringing in the denomination--just bring the issue, and we all can discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back