Resource for certain views throughout History?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is anybody aware of a book, or a website, etc that sort of shows how Christen thinkers have thought throughout the ages? In a perfect works there would be an encyclopedia of Theological Views throughout Historical Christianity

For example, C.S. Lewis thinks Adam is a-historical, I assume because he was trying to maintain "science" with his belief, but before Lewis I wonder what most people said, in fact, if anyone evre suggested such a thing (and if so, Im sure it was only a few)... In other words, Id like to say "Calvin, Augustine, Luther, Spurgeon, Keller" all maintain that such and such is the reality, and only so and so rejected that...

Thanks! Can you share the Table of Contents for subjects hit? Also, I'm not necessarily looking for the various views explain din detail, but more so a reference of who adhered to what almost in list form...
You can look up his Historical Theology part at A Puritan's Mind as well.

I'm not sure that exactly what you're looking for exists out there, as in an accurate series of lists of who held what position on what topic. Historical theologies tend to trace the development and debate on theological doctrines throughout history such as the Trinity, Justification, Ecclesiology, etc., but to do justice to each participant they have to be more extensive than a simple list. If you're interested there's a number of good historical theologies out there.

William Cunningham's Historical Theology is probably the best and is in the public domain but, being written in the 19th century is not going to tell you much about the last two centuries of theological development. You can find it here and see if it is kind of thing is what you're looking for. : https://www.monergism.com/historical-theology-william-cunningham

Bengt Hagglund's History of Theology is another good option especially for a quick reference. It's a single volume, more strictly chronological than Cunningham, and covers up to the first half of the 20th century. https://www.amazon.com/History-Theology-Bengt-Hägglund/dp/0758613482. Hagglund is Lutheran and you can detect his biases at times in the relevant sections. You can see the table of contents there.

A third option, and the most exhaustive, would be Jaroslav Pelikan's The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine in 5 volumes. He was probably the least orthodox of the three as a mainline Lutheran who converted to Eastern Orthodoxy but his work is scholarly and extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back