Reprobation and God's Love

Discussion in 'Theological Forum' started by Ask Mr. Religion, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

Background:
    http://theologicalmeditations.blogspot.com/2016/09/john-bunyan-16281688-on-reprobation-and.html

The author notes (boldface my own):
    "The Reformed scholastics generally distinguish between preterition and pre-damnation in God’s eternal decree touching the non-elect. By the term “reprobation” above, Bunyan clearly has in mind the notion of simple preterition (negative reprobation), or the divine decree not to grant certain blessings, such as faith, to the non-elect. He’s not dealing with God’s purpose to give the non-elect over to damnation on account of sin (i.e. pre-damnation). Pre-damnation is always on account of sin (even in William Twisse’s supralapsarian construct), and so is conditional, but preterition is unconditional, and is therefore a simple passing-by."

Is he accurately summarizing Twisse here?

2. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

Patrick, the word "pre-damnation" creates confusion. If it means the determination to damn is conditional on sin, then it is false, because Twisse maintained the decrees themselves are absolute and unconditional, including the decree of reprobation. If it means the unconditional determination is to damn men on account of their sin, then it is true, because damnation is for sin. The word, "pre-damnation," should be dropped; and the proper term, "damnation," should be adopted.

Here is Twisse, Riches of God's Love, 5-6 (spelling and punctuation standardised):

This is the same doctrine in substance which is taught by the Westminster Confession of Faith, 3.7, and the Larger Catechism, answer 13.

3. Ask Mr. Religion

Thank you, Rev. Winzer. Very informative. I obviously need to take up Twisse in my studies now.

4. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

Highly recommended, and easily accessible now in text at eebo tcp; but be ready for some brain strains. :)

5. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

6. Ask Mr. Religion

I have the volume now along with his Treatise of Mr Cottons Doubts Concerning Predestination. OCR'd them for searching and indexing, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.