Repentance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Some people say that repentance does not entail the concept of turning away from sin. Where in the Bible is turning away from sin entailed by repentance?

2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Luke 13:3 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Revelation 2:5 - Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

James 4:8-10 - Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded. (Read More...)

Ezekiel 18:21-23 - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Read More...)

Mark 1:15 - And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh [them] shall have mercy.

2 Corinthians 7:9-11 - Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. (Read More...)

Matthew 3:2 - And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Joel 2:13 - And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he [is] gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

Jeremiah 18:8 - If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Revelation 3:19 - As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Luke 13:5 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Matthew 7:23 - And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 4:17 - From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jeremiah 26:3 - If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings.

Revelation 3:3 - Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Romans 6:4 - Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jonah 3:10 - And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did [it] not.

Isaiah 44:22 - I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

Psalms 119:127 - Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Psalms 38:18 - For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

Acts 20:21 - Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 8:22 - Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Luke 18:10-14 - Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. (Read More...)

Haggai 1:7 - Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

Jonah 3:9 - Who can tell [if] God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

Joel 2:12 - Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye [even] to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

Ezekiel 33:14-16 - Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; (Read More...)

Jeremiah 7:5 - For if ye throughly amend your ways and your doings; if ye throughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbour;

1 Peter 2:24 - Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

2 Timothy 2:25 - In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Mark 1:4 - John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Matthew 3:1-17 - In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, (Read More...)

Zechariah 3:1-10 - And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. (Read More...)

Jonah 3:8 - But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that [is] in their hands.

Ezekiel 36:31 - Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that [were] not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.

Isaiah 55:6 - Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

Proverbs 9:6 - Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Psalms 69:10 - When I wept, [and chastened] my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.

Psalms 51:7-17 - Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Read More...)

Psalms 51:1-4 - (To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.) Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. (Read More...)

Psalms 40:12 - For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.

Revelation 3:2 - Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

1 Peter 2:25 - For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Hebrews 12:17 - For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Titus 3:5 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Romans 11:23 - And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

Romans 2:4 - Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Acts 26:20 - But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Acts 5:31 - Him hath God exalted with his right hand [to be] a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 2:40 - And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

John 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Luke 22:62 - And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

Luke 13:1-5 - There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. (Read More...)

Luke 10:13 - Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

Luke 3:3 - And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Mark 6:12 - And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Ezekiel 33:19 - But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.

Ezekiel 20:43 - And there shall ye remember your ways, and all your doings, wherein ye have been defiled; and ye shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for all your evils that ye have committed.

Ezekiel 18:27 - Again, when the wicked [man] turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.

Isaiah 5:1-30 - Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill: (Read More...)

Psalms 127:1-3 - (A Song of degrees for Solomon.) Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh [but] in vain. (Read More...)

Psalms 41:4 - I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.

Job 13:23 - How many [are] mine iniquities and sins? make me to know my transgression and my sin.

Exodus 32:14 - And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

1 Corinthians 15:9 - For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Romans 14:11 - For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Romans 5:1 - Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 4:5 - But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Acts 2:1-47 - And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. (Read More...)

Acts 1:18 - Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Acts 1:16 - Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

Luke 15:17-21 - And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! (Read More...)

Luke 15:17-20 - And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! (Read More...)

Luke 15:1-10 - Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. (Read More...)

Luke 7:37-48 - And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that [Jesus] sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, (Read More...)

Luke 6:21 - Blessed [are ye] that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed [are ye] that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

Luke 5:32 - I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 14:72 - And the second time the **** crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the **** crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

Mark 2:17 - When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Matthew 27:3-5 - Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, (Read More...)

Matthew 26:75 - And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the **** crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

Matthew 21:29 - He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.

Matthew 9:13 - But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Matthew 5:4 - Blessed [are] they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Matthew 3:8 - Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Matthew 3:7 - But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Matthew 3:6 - And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Malachi 3:7 - Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept [them]. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?

Zechariah 12:10 - And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn.

Zechariah 1:3 - Therefore say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye unto me, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will turn unto you, saith the LORD of hosts.

In OT Hebrew, the idea of repentance is represented by two verbs: "shuv" (to return) and "nicham" (to feel sorrow). In NT Greek the word is "metanoia" which literally means "to change one's mind" or, "to think differently". So it has a lot to do with the etymology of the words themselves.
As for examples, in Psalm 51 David's thought process is clearly one of turning away from the old and thirst for inward renewal.

Faith and repentance must be real works of God's grace in our lives, but yet never lead to sinless perfection in this life.

We cannot have a true view of Christ by saving faith, without a new view of sin, by which we turn from it.

Act.14:15 "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them."

1Ths.1:9-10 "For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come."

Neither of the above texts use 'metanoia', but ἐπιστρέφω epistrepho. But the Bible clearly represents turning from idols back to God as repentance, note the following:

Ezk.14:6 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: Repent and turn away from your idols, and turn away your faces from all your abominations."

Negatively, Rev.9:20 "And the rest of mankind, who were not killed with these plagues, repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and the idols of gold, and of silver, and of brass, and of stone, and of wood; which can neither see, nor hear, nor walk:

1Sam.7:3 "And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.

Dt.29:24-26 "Even all nations shall say, Wherefore hath the LORD done thus unto this land? what meaneth the heat of this great anger? Then men shall say, Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD God of their fathers, which he made with them when he brought them forth out of the land of Egypt: For they went and served other gods, and worshipped them, gods whom they knew not, and whom he had not given unto them....
Dt.30:1-3 "And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee, and shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul; that then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee."

Neh.1:7-9 "We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses. Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations: But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there."

Act.14:15 "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them."

1Ths.1:9-10 "For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come."

Neither of the above texts use 'metanoia', but ἐπιστρέφω epistrepho. But the Bible clearly represents turning from idols back to God as repentance, note the following:

Ezk.14:6 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: Repent and turn away from your idols, and turn away your faces from all your abominations."

Negatively, Rev.9:20 "And the rest of mankind, who were not killed with these plagues, repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and the idols of gold, and of silver, and of brass, and of stone, and of wood; which can neither see, nor hear, nor walk:

1Sam.7:3 "And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.

Dt.29:24-26 "Even all nations shall say, Wherefore hath the LORD done thus unto this land? what meaneth the heat of this great anger? Then men shall say, Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD God of their fathers, which he made with them when he brought them forth out of the land of Egypt: For they went and served other gods, and worshipped them, gods whom they knew not, and whom he had not given unto them....
Dt.30:1-3 "And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee, and shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul; that then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee."

Neh.1:7-9 "We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses. Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations: But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there."

Thank you for the input. Does repentance take place at the same time as faith without it being the means by which justification is received?

Repentance is not given (by Scripture's treatment) a means-relation to our salvation, the way faith is credited instrumentally with accomplishing it (e.g. Eph.2:8).

Because of the close association between these two things (repentance & faith) in Scripture (e.g., Mk.1:15; Act.20:21; Heb.6:1), when we talk about conversion in terms of the (logical) order of salvation, we often speak of these two as "alternate sides of one coin," or some similar analogy.

In general, then, repentance unto life (Act.11:18) is the ordinary, proper, and reasonable heartfelt reflex of saving faith (Heb.10:39). The Pharisees demonstrated the exact opposite reaction, Mt.21:32.

This observation does not negate the historical experience of salvation, whereby we are often brought to great hatred and disgust at our own sin, and turn from it to look unto Jesus (Heb.12:2), the object of our faith. But it is not the turning that delivers us nor the faculty of faith (nothing in man), but Christ the object of faith outside of man.

Nor should we wish to deny that further acts of repentance even after we "first believed" may feel stronger than our earlier repentance. This only makes sense, as stronger faith only opens the spirit's understanding further, both to the nature and corruption of sin, as well as the surpassing greatness of the Savior. This is but growth in grace.

Hope this is helpful.

Technically speaking true or "evangelical" repentance can only follow regeneration and saving faith, as it is impossible for the unregenerate to truly turn from sin from the heart.

Sometimes there may be a "legal repentance" , involving conviction of sin and the attempt to clean up one's life before true saving faith and evangelical repentance, although this " preparatory work" is not normative. Some have little conviction of sin when they are converted, and much more later on in their Christian life.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Repentance is not given (by Scripture's treatment) a means-relation to our salvation, the way faith is credited instrumentally with accomplishing it (e.g. Eph.2:8).

Because of the close association between these two things (repentance & faith) in Scripture (e.g., Mk.1:15; Act.20:21; Heb.6:1), when we talk about conversion in terms of the (logical) order of salvation, we often speak of these two as "alternate sides of one coin," or some similar analogy.

In general, then, repentance unto life (Act.11:18) is the ordinary, proper, and reasonable heartfelt reflex of saving faith (Heb.10:39). The Pharisees demonstrated the exact opposite reaction, Mt.21:32.

This observation does not negate the historical experience of salvation, whereby we are often brought to great hatred and disgust at our own sin, and turn from it to look unto Jesus (Heb.12:2), the object of our faith. But it is not the turning that delivers us nor the faculty of faith (nothing in man), but Christ the object of faith outside of man.

Nor should we wish to deny that further acts of repentance even after we "first believed" may feel stronger than our earlier repentance. This only makes sense, as stronger faith only opens the spirit's understanding further, both to the nature and corruption of sin, as well as the surpassing greatness of the Savior. This is but growth in grace.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you. That was helpful.

At the moment of conversion, the sinner places his faith in Christ and has a change of heart, mind, and attitude where he wants to turn away from his sin. After conversion, there is a change of behavior that is in accordance with his change of heart, mind, and attitude. Is this correct?

Technically speaking true or "evangelical" repentance can only follow regeneration and saving faith, as it is impossible for the unregenerate to truly turn from sin from the heart.

How would you respond to those who say that true or "evangelical" repentance is a good work? Some people think that it is a good work so they say that conversion does not involve true or "evangelical" repentance.

When talking to non-Christians about how a person is justified before God, should one always explicitly say that faith is credited instrumentally, but not repentance? I was just wondering because I have heard some gospel presentations where people are commanded to repent of their sins and place their faith in Christ, but no mention is made that faith is the sole instrument that receives justification.

Repentance itself is not a
"good work" but produces the mortification ( killing) of sin and true good works.

Conversion always involves faith and repentance, but we are justified by faith alone. Repentance is the result of regeneration, saving faith and imparted righteousness. Faith alone also lays hold upon the imputed righteouness of Christ. See the relevant chapters of the WCF, including the one on Good Works.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back