Religious Courtship

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
There are some good modern books out there dealing with courtship, but for those who may be interested (whether for practical or theological reasons -- and I don't mean to suggest a wedge between those reasons) I highly commend a book by Daniel Defoe called Religious Courtship.

Here is a description: Religious Courtship (1722), also mainly in dialogue form, illustrates by example the all-importance of spouses agreeing in their religion, and the strength of mind children may need to resist pressure to make an unsuitable marriage.

It's been republished as recently as 2003, and one can find antiquarian copies on abebooks.com for as little as $20. Either way, it's worth reading and contains much wisdom, especially for those who are a-courtin' or hope to be one day.

[Edited on 21-12-2004 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Didn't Defoe write Robinson Caruso?

Yep, he wrote Robinson Crusoe and many other great classic works of literature. He was a Presbyterian and one of his greatest and least well-known works is his Memoirs of the Church of Scotland, which focuses on the sufferings of the Scottish Covenanters.

Thank you, Andrew. (would you be willing to print that out for me? I'm fighting with my printer.)

It's 380 pages!
face_runaway.gif

I only mean to say that it's a lot to print. I've bookmarked the site and plan to read it before long.

Thanks for letting us know about it.

OOOpS! Andrew, I didn't know it was 360 pages! I don't wanna run you out of ink! (self flagellation for not looking before asking)

We downloaded it at home last night - my wife started perusing it this morning. Looks interesting!

Great stuff! It's excellent the way you can print modern PDFs in booklet format. In the last year I've added 60 volumes to my library at a very inexpensive rate -- something like $5 a book.

Funny:

was speaking with a friend tonight (gave me permission to post this) about this book. I started talking about Daniel Defoe and she's "oh, he played in Last of the Mohicans and a few others right..."

Uh, no. No? No...he was an author that lived a few hundred years ago. "oh, an old dead guy!" Uh, yeah...an old dead guy...and an excellent writer. (found out there is another Daniel Defoe that is mentioned in the photo credits or something of the movie)

She was...but there was a Daniel Defoe listed right after Daniel Day-Lewis...something about a photograph.

Great stuff! It's excellent the way you can print modern PDFs in booklet format. In the last year I've added 60 volumes to my library at a very inexpensive rate -- something like $5 a book.

Are these booklets 8.5x11 page printouts or what?

How can I go about doing this? Do you just buy a bunch of paper and print them off yourself? Or can they be printed and bound this cheaply at a place like Kinko's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back