Rejoice and give thanks for your election

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Lord's Prayer, John 17:24), Works 2:40:

Have you fled for refuge to Jesus Christ? Do you know it? Hath the Lord revealed it to you, that you have sought your only refuge in the shadow of Christ’s wings? Then how should you rejoice and give thanks for your election? Thus the apostle did usually, Eph. 1:3, 4; 2 Thess. 2:13. I dare not say, that no believer can be heartily thankful for Christ’s grace, before he fully and surely know its highest spring: but I am sure that that believer praiseth best, that knows best that he was given to the Son. The receivings of the glorified will be the greatest; their praises will be the highest; and their knowledge of eternal love as the spring of all their grace and glory, will be the clearest. And as this doth raise praise, so doth it raise mighty prayer. Our Lord prays for his people under this name, Thine and mine, John 17:9, 10. David prays for himself under this name, Ps. 119:94, I am thine, save me. The clearer your knowledge be of your interest in God, and in his love, the more mighty will your pleadings with him be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back