Rejecting the Lord's Supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raderag

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi,

I have a Baptist friend who has come to the conclusion that Christ did not institute anything new in the Last Supper, but rather that it was merely the Passover. He says that the Lord's supper is not an ordinance, but that Christians can celebrate Passover.

I have questioned him about 1 Cor 10-11 (still waiting), but I wanted to see if anybody has ever heard of this before?

Is this rank heresy or just really bad theology?

[quote:1b7b2f2e63][i:1b7b2f2e63]Originally posted by raderag[/i:1b7b2f2e63]
Hi,

I have a Baptist friend who has come to the conclusion that Christ did not institute anything new in the Last Supper, but rather that it was merely the Passover. He says that the Lord's supper is not an ordinance, but that Christians can celebrate Passover.

I have questioned him about 1 Cor 10-11 (still waiting), but I wanted to see if anybody has ever heard of this before?

Is this rank heresy or just really bad theology? [/quote:1b7b2f2e63]

It isnt in any Baptist confession I can think of. I think your friend is trying to invent his own theology.

The occasion of the "Last Supper" was the Passover feast. However, when Jesus told his disciples, "for as often as ye do this, do it in memory of me" he bascally instituted the ordinance of the Lord's Supper.

He also practiced foot washing, but we don't see that in too many churches.

[quote:7fe059987f][i:7fe059987f]Originally posted by A_Wild_Boar[/i:7fe059987f]
[quote:7fe059987f][i:7fe059987f]Originally posted by raderag[/i:7fe059987f]
Hi,

Is this rank heresy or just really bad theology? [/quote:7fe059987f]

It isnt in any Baptist confession I can think of. I think your friend is trying to invent his own theology. [/quote:7fe059987f]

Most baptist aren't confessional, and yes he is trying to invent something.

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by raderag]

This is heresy, probably by nearly any standard (except for individual, private interpretations - which together make the concept of heresy virtually meaningless). Reformed writers like Calvin held that the marks of a true church are the preaching of the Word and the right adminstration of the sacraments. To dispense with the sacrements is to dispense with Christianity. Of course, Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics (which combined make up about 70-80 percent of the Christian world) hold the Eucharist as central to worship -indeed there is no true worship without it.

Scott

[quote:b901ad8e8c][i:b901ad8e8c]Originally posted by Scott[/i:b901ad8e8c]
This is heresy, probably by nearly any standard.
Scott [/quote:b901ad8e8c]

Should I treat this person as an unbeliever?

This person has been a teacher and best friend to me my entire life. He has led an exemplerary life in almost every aspect (unbelievably so). I realize that we are not suppose to focus on the believer, but on God, but he has always been a great witness of the faith to me. In fact, his witness is the one of the main reasons I considered Christianity. It really saddens me to think he might not be a true believer. I just don't know how to approach this subject, but I really think he is being influenced by some bad teachers.

I have grown past his theology for quite a long time, but this is still very distirbing to me.

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by raderag]

Brett:

No, I would not treat him as an unbeliever. You are not his judge and have not been appointed to be so.

Does he recognize any spiritual authority in his life (elders, pastors, or something like that)?

Scott

Dear Raderag:

When you ask, "Should I treat him as an unbeliever?" are you asking if you should "shun" him as an apostate, or if you should "witness" the Christian faith to him since he is an "unbeliever"?

I imagine you are asking about the former. In my opinion, I would continue the very same relationship you currently have with him, with the exception of keeping a more cautious ear towards any new doctrine he comes up with. It sounds as though he's just very confused/mistaken about this one area of his theology (although a VERY important one) and hopefully it won't spread to the other doctrines he currently has right!

I would pray for him if I were you, and just keep the dialogue going on this one issue and hopefully you'll be able to present a lot of alternative evidence to what he's been indoctrinated with.

I'm sure its a VERY frustrating situation for you; and I for one will pray for you, him, and this situation. :pray2:

[quote:8e06eb57b2][i:8e06eb57b2]Originally posted by alwaysreforming[/i:8e06eb57b2]
Dear Raderag:

When you ask, "Should I treat him as an unbeliever?" are you asking if you should "shun" him as an apostate, or if you should "witness" the Christian faith to him since he is an "unbeliever"?

I imagine you are asking about the former. In my opinion, I would continue the very same relationship you currently have with him, with the exception of keeping a more cautious ear towards any new doctrine he comes up with. It sounds as though he's just very confused/mistaken about this one area of his theology (although a VERY important one) and hopefully it won't spread to the other doctrines he currently has right!

I would pray for him if I were you, and just keep the dialogue going on this one issue and hopefully you'll be able to present a lot of alternative evidence to what he's been indoctrinated with.

I'm sure its a VERY frustrating situation for you; and I for one will pray for you, him, and this situation. :pray2: [/quote:8e06eb57b2]

:ditto: :amen:

Although, I suspect this isn't his own "bad theology". You should tell him you'd like to research it and ask if he can recommend any authors or material.

I spoke to a person who didn't believe in a water baptisim and claimed that water baptisim "was during the time of
Christ's earthly ministry, but after his Death we are baptized in His blood." And used Eph 4:5 and also Col 3:12 to emphasize that there is only ONE baptisim--Jesus' blood.

When I questioned further he sent me to the http://www.bereantruth.com/

I wonder if this guy's theology comes from a similar place or thought process.

[quote:0dd989c64c][i:0dd989c64c]Originally posted by Scott[/i:0dd989c64c]
Brett:

No, I would not treat him as an unbeliever. You are not his judge and have not been appointed to be so.

Does he recognize any spiritual authority in his life (elders, pastors, or something like that)?

Scott [/quote:0dd989c64c]

He does recognize spiritual authroity in his Pastors, etc. Unfortunatly, I think many fundamentalist Baptist churches allow any beliefs as long as they are not liberal.

[quote:a86c4aec1b][i:a86c4aec1b]Originally posted by ChristianasJourney[/i:a86c4aec1b]
I wonder if this guy's theology comes from a similar place or thought process. [/quote:a86c4aec1b]

I am afraid it comes from family member that gets it on their own.

[quote:aa67a51553][i:aa67a51553]Originally posted by Scott[/i:aa67a51553]
No, I would not treat him as an unbeliever. You are not his judge and have not been appointed to be so. Scott [/quote:aa67a51553]

I should have phrased that better. I mean to say that should I consider him an unbeliever, but I think you are still saying that isn't for me to judge. I am bad about wanting to tag and bag people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back