Reformed Theology School in the East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam, I think the "peice of paper" they were refering to is accreditation. PRTS and Greenville are not accredited schools. They are also 4 year MDiv programs rather than the normal 3 year plans at the accreditted schools. If you want to pursue PhD work then you probably want the accreditted school, unless of course you are going for an unaccredited PhD. It just depends on what you want to do with the degree that's all.

Hmmmmm

Patrick, do you believe it really matters in regard to the respect you can attain within the body? I mean if one wishes to become trusted and respected I know his teaching is most important! But lets say one has a accreditted PhD and one does not but both teach soundly, do you believe one would gain more respect or be trusted/called upon more than the other?

Originally posted by houseparent
Hmmmmm

Patrick, do you believe it really matters in regard to the respect you can attain within the body? I mean if one wishes to become trusted and respected I know his teaching is most important! But lets say one has a accreditted PhD and one does not but both teach soundly, do you believe one would gain more respect or be trusted/called upon more than the other?

No, I don't think so, at least not with most people. In fact, at least in the OPC, you don't even need a degree to get licensed, so long as you display to the presbytery sufficient detailed knowledge of the required subjects (i.e. Greek, Hebrew, Theology, Apologetics, etc.) and display the required gifts. Obviously they highly encourage seminary but it's possible to get through the process without it. Certainly their are gifted men, perfectly good pastors who haven't been to seminary (i.e. Spurgeon) let alone have unaccredited degrees. So if pastoring is all you wish to do, then don't worry so much about the type of degree, just find a seminary that emphasizes the things you feel are important.

But if you wanted to teach in a seminary, the standard is higher. They usually require a doctorate in the particular area you want to teach. And in order to get a doctorate you usually need to go through an accredited program somewhere.

Like I said, it all depends on what you want to do.

Westminster Theological Seminary in Philly, hands down. I used to dream of getting a Ph.D. from there. The only reason I don't anymore is because I'm going a different direction with my life than I was before. You would get a tremendous education from there. I mean, I don't understand what kind of standards people are holding to seminaries that would cause them to say WTS isn't all that. I mean, it's Reformed, the staff is great, and the school is committed to academic excellence. A school doesn't have to have Van Til and Murray to be excellent.

WTS = :up::up:

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by luvroftheWord]

One objection to WTS is their teaching of the framework hypothesis of creation.

Another is the support found within the seminary for NT Wright.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

My :2cents:, the whole debate over the Framework Hypothesis is blown way out of proportion by those who oppose it. I have more of a problem with the people who want to anathemize advocates of the FH than I do with the advocates themselves.

Also, who do you know of at WTS that advocates the NPP?

Originally posted by puritansailor
and Norman Shepard.....

The seminary doesn't condemn Shepard because when they were examining him, Gaffin was convinced that Shepard was essentially teaching that works are the evidence of saving faith, though he was using different language to do so. I've already had this discussion with John Frame because I was concerned about it as well, and Frame was present when Shepard's views were being examined.

Originally posted by luvroftheWord

My :2cents:, the whole debate over the Framework Hypothesis is blown way out of proportion by those who oppose it. I have more of a problem with the people who want to anathemize advocates of the FH than I do with the advocates themselves.

You probably won't like hearing this, but I believe the Framework Hypothesis is blatant heresy and a cancer in the Reformed Church. The following articles address it well:

http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_83.html

http://www.biblicalhorizons.com/ch/ch3_06.htm

http://capo.org/wp/declartn.htm

Thanks for the links. Can you briefly in a couple of paragraphs explain why you think the FH is heresy? What cardinal doctrine of the Christian faith does it overthrow? How does it overthrow the gospel?

Thanks for the links. Can you briefly in a couple of paragraphs explain why you think the FH is heresy? What cardinal doctrine of the Christian faith does it overthrow? How does it overthrow the gospel?

Start another thread guys. Thanks!

Originally posted by puritansailor

Start another thread guys. Thanks!

Understood. Response posted in the Natural Revelation and God's Creation Forum.

Since this is an "east-coast" thread: here's a plug for Greenville.

Greenville's goal is the production of preachers for the church. They have advanced programs (ThM, ThD), but those are secondary, and are really also designed for the "pastor-scholar" rather than for scholars with other callings. The school produces MDiv credentialed men who are well educated in the basic skills of a minister. One may not necessarily be called, but he will be prepared.
Aside:
PRTS and GPTS are quite friendly; they have obvious differences, but a common ethos. And lately, because of the laws of the state of Michigan, PRTS was not allowed to confer its own legitimate MDiv degrees, and to entered into an arrangement with GPTS whereby PRTS students would receive honest, legal degrees. Typical state bureaucratic overregulation...
Greenville is a Presbyterian Seminary. The school has usually a fair representation of Dutch Reformed students, and even a Reformed Baptist on occasion, but it has a distinctively Presbyterian identity. The Westminster Standards are an integrated element of the curriculum. Presbyterian Polity and Ecclesiology are taught as part of the Systematic Theology course work. Why? Well, there are plenty of other seminaries out there that have a broad appeal. Why not a conservative, confessionally strict, old school Presbyterian seminary? With a little van Til apologetics thrown in just to freshen things up?

If these distinctives appeal to you, if you like this part of the country, check it out. Spring Theology Conference is a perfect time to vist (week of Mar. 14) with special events for prospective students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back