Reformed Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRandy

Puritan Board Freshman
I am 54 years old. I live in Wichita Kansas and attend Trinity Reformed Presbyterian Church. I've been reformed for about 3 years and I love to read theology. In the past I've been associated with Pentecostal, charismatic, and anabaptist churches. I've come away from those with positive as well as negitive things to deal with. I'm pretty conservative theologically, except that I'm a cautious continuationist (can't really find convincing evidence that that the ceasationists are right). I'm also a pacifist, but Believer in a Christian non-violence response is more accurate because the term "pacifism" is so broad and filled with misconceptions that it really doesn't say anything.

I'm currently reading:
"Reading Revelation responsibly: Uncivil Worship and Witness: Following the Lamb into the New Creation" by Michael Gorman, and
"The Temple and the Churches Mission" by GK Beale. I wanted to go back through this before starting his "New Testament Biblical Theology".

Gorman is not reformed, he's a Methodist with anabaptist leanings, but it's still an interesting read.

In Christ,
Randy

ZackF

Puritan Board Graduate
Always good to have another Wichitan here. Wife and I have some friends that are Trinity members. Welcome!

TylerRay

Puritan Board Graduate
Welcome, Randy!

You may find it edifying and helpful to read some of the older Reformed writers on the extraordinary gifts and offices. You will find that among them, there was a view distinct from both continuationism and the hard cessationism of today. They held that in extraordinary times, God grants extraordinary gifts, so that George Gillespie could write:
I must say it, to the glory of God, there were in the church of Scotland, both in the time of our first reformation, and after the reformation, such extraordinary men as were more than ordinary pastors and teachers, even holy prophets receiving extraordinary revelations from God, and foretelling diverse strange and remarkable things, which did accordingly come to pass punctually, to the great admiration of all who knew the particulars. Such were Mr. Wishart the martyr, Mr. Knox the reformer, also Mr. John Welsh, Mr. John Davidson, Mr. Robert Bruce, Mr. Alexander Simpson, Mr. Fergusson, and others. -Miscellany, Chapter V, section 7.
Calvin writes:
These three functions [apostles, prophets, and evangelists] were not established in the church as permanent ones, but only for that time during which churches were to be erected where none existed before, or where they were to be carried over from Moses to Christ. Still, I do not deny that the Lord has sometimes at a later period raised up apostles, or at least evangelists in their place, as has happened in our own day. For there was need for such persons to lead the church back from the rebellion of Antichrist. Nonetheless, I call this office "extraordinary," because in duly constituted churches it has no place. - Institutes Book IV, ch. III, sec. 4."

Last edited:

CatRandy

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome, Randy!

You may find it edifying and helpful to read some of the older Reformed writers on the extraordinary gifts and offices. You will find that among them, there was a view distinct from both continuationism and the hard cessationism of today. They held that in extraordinary times, God grants extraordinary gifts, so that George Gillespie could write:

Calvin writes:
Thanks for the information. I have The Works of George Gillespie Vol 1 on Kindle, I'll have to look it up.
I have heard about gifts that Spurgeon had in his services:

There were many instances of remarkable conversions at the Music Hall; one especially was so singular that I have often related it as a proof that God sometimes guides His servants to say what they would themselves never have thought of uttering, in order that He may bless the hearer for whom the message is personally intended. While preaching in the hall, on one occasion, I deliberately pointed to a man in the midst of the crowd, and said, “There is a man sitting there, who is a shoemaker; he keeps his shop open on Sundays, it was open last Sabbath morning, he took ninepence, and there was fourpence profit out of it; his soul is sold to Satan for fourpence ! ” A city missionary, when going his rounds, met with this man, and seeing that he was reading one of my sermons, he asked the question, “Do you know Mr. Spurgeon?” “Yes,” replied the man, “I have every reason to know him, I have been to hear him; and, under his preaching, by God’s grace I have become a new creature in Christ Jesus. Shall I tell you how it happened ? I went to the Music Hall, and took my seat in the middle of the place ; Mr. Spurgeon looked at me as if he knew me, and in his sermon he pointed to me, and told the congregation that I was a shoemaker, and that I kept my shop open on Sundays ; and I did, sir. I should not have minded that; but he also said that I took ninepence the Sunday before, and that there was fourpence profit out of it. I did take ninepence that day, and fourpence was just the profit; but how he should know that, I could not tell. Then it struck me that it was God who had spoken to my soul through him, so I shut up my shop the next Sunday. At first, I was afraid to go again to hear him, lest he should tell the people more about me ; but afterwards I went, and the Lord met with me, and saved my soul.”

I could tell as many as a dozen similar cases in which I pointed at somebody in the hall without having the slightest knowledge of the person, or any idea that what I said was right, except that I believed I was moved by the Spirit to say it; and so striking has been my description, that the persons have gone away, and said to their friends, ” Come, see a man that told me all things that ever I did ; beyond a doubt, he must have been sent of God to my soul, or else he could not have described me so exactly.” And not only so, but I have known many instances in which the thoughts of men have been revealed from the pulpit. I have sometimes seen persons nudge their neighbours with their elbow, because they had got a smart hit, and they have been heard to say, when they were going out, “The preacher told us just what we said to one another when we went in at the door.”

Charles H. Spurgeon, The Autobiography of Charles H. Spurgeon, Vol. 2: 1854-1860 (Philadelphia: American Baptist Publication Society, 1899), 226-227.

CatRandy

Puritan Board Freshman
Always good to have another Wichitan here. Wife and I have some friends that are Trinity members. Welcome!
Hello! We must be fairly close. I live just north of the airport, as a matter of fact if you look close, you can see skid marks on the roof. If you have access to SermonAudio, Pastor Joe is just starting a series on the WSC if you want to listen in.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome to the PB! This is a great place to grow in knowledge of Christ and his truth.

Enjoy your time here!

Grace to you.

ZackF

Puritan Board Graduate
Hello! We must be fairly close. I live just north of the airport, as a matter of fact if you look close, you can see skid marks on the roof. If you have access to SermonAudio, Pastor Joe is just starting a series on the WSC if you want to listen in.
Thank you. I may check those lectures out when I get a chance. Maybe I'll see you around soon. There has been a small but growing fellowship between the various reformed congregations in the area in recent years. I meet weekly with a few gents from my church and Heartland PCA to discuss the previous week's Table Talk studies. We don't have any Trinity guys....yet. Eastminster is hosting a Ligonier event this spring. I hope I can work out attending that.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Greetings brother from a fellow Wichitan! My wife and I live in South Wichita (actually my wife is a teacher at the school right across the street from Trinity RPCNA). We've joined your congregation a few times for the evening service and have been greatly blessed by Pastor Joe's preaching. We're currently attending Heartland but are also heavily involved in a PCA church plant in Andover called Kirk of the Plains: http://www.kotp.org/

CatRandy

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings brother from a fellow Wichitan! My wife and I live in South Wichita (actually my wife is a teacher at the school right across the street from Trinity RPCNA). We've joined your congregation a few times for the evening service and have been greatly blessed by Pastor Joe's preaching. We're currently attending Heartland but are also heavily involved in a PCA church plant in Andover called Kirk of the Plains: http://www.kotp.org/
Hello,
nice to hear from you! I don't get to the evening services because I work 3rd shift and have to get to bed by 1 PM, but as I mentioned to ZackF, Pastor Joe has started a series on the WSC. They are posted on SermonAudio if you're interested in listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.