Reformed Presbyterian Synod Withdraws from NAE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josiah

Puritan Board Senior
I was only able to find information at the Aquila report news website:

The Synod of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America (RPCNA) voted on June 24, 2009 to withdraw its membership from the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE). The Interchurch Committee has expressed concerns over a decade at the direction of the NAE.

The RPCNA Synod is meeting at GenevaCollege in Beaver Falls, Penn., from June 22-26.

The Interchurch Committee had asked for a 15 minute discussion on the floor of Synod to hear pros and cons on continuing the RPCNA membership in the NAE. During this discussion many concerns were raised, with only one delegate rising to defend remaining in the NAE. A motion was made to withdraw immediately (understood to mean as soon as possible) from the NAE, which was overwhelmingly adopted by the Synod.

It was reported that there had been a growing concern by members of Synod regarding the increasing willingness of NAE officials to engage or associate with liberal Protestants, Roman Catholics, and Muslims. The Synod was also concerned that these associations have tended to obscure the gospel and blur the distinctions between believers and unbelievers. Along with these concerns were the long-held tensions within the RPCNA of an official association with an organization that has become predominantly Arminian and Pentecostal.

Synod directed the Interchurch Committee to draft an official letter to the NAE announcing the RPCNA’s withdrawal, delineating the reasons, and calling for their repentance.

Immediately following this sobering vote the church sang Psalm 133 and sought the Lord in prayer to bring unity in truth.

We are rejoicing for the bold step for truth. The Synod will be publishing a letter later more formally explaining its action to the NAE and calling them to repentance.

We are rejoicing for the bold step for truth. The Synod will be publishing a letter later more formally explaining its action to the NAE and calling them to repentance.

Thank you for the confirmation on this Adam. It is truely wonderful news, praise the Lord!

I was there for this event and was surprised by two things:

1) That the RPCNA was in the NAE. (The ARP is not)

2) How egregious the errors of the NAE are (like prayers offered to Allah).

I suspect this will be getting attention in the PCA.

Biblically, one needs to first communicate, then give a chance to repent, then take another, then take leave to others. It sounds like that was done in this case... they didn't suddenly just bolt and leave and only then declare their reasons.

There might still be chance for the NAE to repent and get back to its founding purpose, but as sin progresses, consequences increase, and it will be difficult. The PCA also has called them to task before in the past also.

I've been to RPCNA Synods in the past and association with the NAE was a topic of discussion. Talking with friends within the RPCNA, some ordained and some not, I am saddened by this. I am not a huge fan of the NAE, for the same reasons I am not a huge fan of ETS (Evangelical Theological Society). I wish evangelicals would return to their historic roots of the reformation, something the Gospel Coalition seeks to do. Historically the RPCNA played a large role in the NAE.

This should send major signals across the board. Then again no one takes RPs seriously. Perhaps Gamble's new work will curb that.

Quite honestly I haven't the foggiest idea what good such organizations as the NAE do. The PCA needs (in my opinion) to get out, too. It will get some press in the PCA, but more likely than not what'll happen is there will be a general feeling that the RPCNA are being snotty and too picky.

I just checked the member list - and am somewhat (I shouldn't be, I guess) surprised to find the Salvation Army is a member denomination, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back