Reformed males

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermadchen

Puritanboard <strong>Outlaw</strong>
I made this several months ago but for some reason it's regained some popularity on my blog. So I thought I would post it on here for your thoughts. It's all in good humor and admiration so I hope no one finds it offensive.

I've only been "reforming" for about 3 (?) years but since that time I've noticed something about the Reformed male. They tend to have very similar characteristics. I wish I could say the same thing about reformed females but, you see, we're all so unique and special and wonderful that I would be lying. ;) Anyways, I shared some of these thoughts with a friend (who is a practicing member of the Reformed male species) and he said I should share these observations with the world. So here goes:

You might be a Reformed male if:

1. No one has ever heard of the beer you are currently drinking.

2. You've named or plan to name your first son John, Jonathan, Charles, Knox, Owen, Calvin, Martin, Luther, Martin Luther, or Jean.

3. You have a beard (or wish you did).

4. You smoke a pipe.

5. You consult the PCA Church directory when planning domestic vacations.

6. You dream of being accidentally left behind after hours in the Curry library (which, if you don't happen to be in the know, currently houses around 7,000 books from Charles Spurgeon's personal library).

7. This is your dream Bible.

8. You have a dream Bible.

9. You've considered Wittenberg, Germany as a great honeymoon destination.

10. This was your groomsman's cake:

photo

11. This is your sweatshirt:

12. You know what PCA, OPC, CREC, EPC, RPCNA, and APC stand for.

13. You refer to non-Christians as "unregenerates."

14. John Piper really is your homeboy.

15. You don't shop at Christian bookstores.

16. You've used the line, "Baby, your name must be Grace because you are irresistible" on women.

17. It's "Reformation Day" not "Halloween."

18. You've taped a copy of the 95 theses to the door of the nearest Catholic or seeker sensitive church on Reformation Day.

19. You can finish the names of each of these men:
A.W.
B. B.
R. L.
J. C.
C. H.

20. You end each email with "Soli Deo Gloria."

16. You've used the line, "Baby, your name must be Grace because you are irresistible" on women.

The most recent (OK, only) girl I've ever asked out was named Grace. I'm tempted to email her with that line, but I'm not sure she'd get the joke (most unfortunately she isn't Reformed.)

Does leaving a note explaining the true gospel of faith in Christ alone on an high Anglican "prayers for dead people" list in the undercroft of Canterbury Cathedral count?

:)

I used the following line on Toni-

"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"

Theognome

Does leaving a note explaining the true gospel of faith in Christ alone on an high Anglican "prayers for dead people" list in the undercroft of Canterbury Cathedral count?

:)

Bonus points, in my opinion.

Pretty close to home, and even when not close to home - as I've done #5.

Somebody needs to plant a PCA church near the Outer Banks, btw. Just saying.

Some additional points (all of these actually true in my case)

* You call your carpeted converted garage/bonus room the "Reformation Room."
* Your room is decorated with oversized framed prints of the Synod of Dordt and the Westminster Assembly posters as well as a 10x36" framed poster of Calvin and a Post Tenebras Lux collage of the Reformers.
http://www.reformationart.com/westminster-assembly-poster--2.html
http://www.reformationart.com/synod-of-dordrecht-poster--2.html
http://www.reformationart.com/john-calvin-panorama--11036.html
* Your desk has bobblehead Martin Luther, John Calvin, AND Charles Spurgeon along with a wind-up walking Martin Luther doll. http://oldlutheran.cybrhost.com/old...ore_Code=OL&Product_Code=800&Category_Code=HO http://store.calvin.edu/shop_produc...YWQ&pf_id=100549565&type=1&target=Default.asp
* You actually own a maroon Calvin scholar's hat (in your own size); it hangs from your desk lamp.
* You have a framed 400 year old leaf of the Geneva Bible displayed above your desk.
* You put an "autographed" framed "painting" of Martin Luther above your treadmill/workout machine. It is embossed "Dennis, Sundige tapfer, aber glaube tapferer! [signed] Martin Luther" http://oldlutheran.cybrhost.com/old...ore_Code=OL&Product_Code=700&Category_Code=HO
* Your idea of decorating is to display copies of Turretin, Muller, Beeke, RS Clark, et. al. in your Reformation Room.
* Around your room you have smaller framed pictures of Calvin, Knox, Bunyan, and Goodwin.
* You have the sweatshirt mentioned in #11 hanging on the door in your Reformation Room, just under the yellow "Calvin Rocks" messenger bag purchased from Cafe Press Calvin Rocks Messenger Bag - CafePress.

Yes...

2. You've named or plan to name your first son John, Jonathan, Charles, Knox, Owen, Calvin, Martin, Luther, Martin Luther, or Jean.

Seth...

Sometimes...

4. You smoke a pipe.

Indeed I do...

7. This is your dream Bible.

I want Bible*s*...but I readily admit that I have a book "issue"...

My wife and I have actually discussed a "theological-historical" tour of Europe once the children are grown...

Of course...though I must admit, the amount of two-three-four letter abbreviations of all these denominations can be confusing...

Sometimes...

As noted above, changed to R.C. Sproul...

18. You've taped a copy of the 95 theses to the door of the nearest Catholic or seeker sensitive church on Reformation Day.

Not exactly...but I did post reformed thoughts and notes, and occasional rebuttals to "seeker sensitive" papers on the pinboard of Bible college...

A.W.
B. B.
R. L.
J. C.
C. H.

Naturally...you mean some "theologians" can't? :eek:

* You have a framed 400 year old leaf of the Geneva Bible displayed above your desk.

Of course...as well as a leaf from a 1611, just to prove to my comrades that none of us use those exact bibles, anymore.

* Your desk has bobblehead Martin Luther, John Calvin, AND Charles Spurgeon along with a wind-up walking Martin Luther doll.

Now really, I always wonder when I see those bobbleheads: is that any way to respect our spiritual forefathers? I mean, what would they say if they saw them?

...okay, Luther and Spurgeon would probably laugh, but Calvin...I don't know. ;)

* Your desk has bobblehead Martin Luther, John Calvin, AND Charles Spurgeon along with a wind-up walking Martin Luther doll.

Now really, I always wonder when I see those bobbleheads: is that any way to respect our spiritual forefathers? I mean, what would they say if they saw them?

...okay, Luther and Spurgeon would probably laugh, but Calvin...I don't know. ;)

Yeah, that Calvin could be such a fuddy duddy.

Of course we wouldn't want to come across as if we idolise the Reformers would we?

Posters of Calvin lol

Not something I'd have on my wall hehe

You might be a Reformed male if:

Yep.

Probably will first have a Jr. of my name, as I carry two family names. John or Jonathan are out for last name reasons. Martin is on the list and Machen might be a middle name I select.

Nah, too scratchy.

4. You smoke a pipe.

Not here either

Yes, but also every other NAPARC one.

6. You dream of being accidentally left behind after hours in the Curry library (which, if you don't happen to be in the know, currently houses around 7,000 books from Charles Spurgeon's personal library).

I hadn't before today, but that sounds like a nice afternoon.

Not bad, but my dream would probably be one of the new Geneva Bibles.

Nope.

Not a bad idea, though Geneva could work too.

Not married yet, and that'd be a bit much.

Nice - might have to get one sometime.

Yes, and add FCC, FCS, FPCS, URC, RCUS, RPCGA, FIRE, ARBCA, AMiA, ARP, FRC, CanRC etc...

Not so much - non-Christian suffices.

Nah, J. Gresham Machen is more my style.

Does the Redeemer Seminary bookstore count as one? "Christian bookstores": blech. Even Logos, which is tolerable, is still awful by comparison.

Amusing line, I'd wait until after I knew she liked me. :)

Yep.

Tempting idea.

Pink
Warfield
Dabney
Ryle or Philpot
Spurgeon

Sometimes

All of them listed in my post and then some. My kids roll their eyes that dad has a "Reformation room."

I must not be Reformed

I don't think I stack up...

I hate beer. Icky stuff!

Isaac.

That I have.

4. You smoke a pipe.
I used to, but it didn't have tobacco in it.

Nope. I use OPC, URC or a good solid Reformed Baptist church.

Never occurred to me.

The bible(s) I have are mostly cheap ones or hotel Gideons, save for my study Bible. I don't much care how it looks, smells or feels as long as it's got the goods in it.

Nope.

I'd rather go to Bonn- the birthplace of Ludwig Van Beethoven.

Didn't have a cake.

I don't wear sweatshirts unless I intend to destroy them through whatever work I'm doing.

Got me there...

No. I call them CAPs, which stands for "Classic American Pagans".

Not even close. I do not have a high opinion of him.

True- there's nothing worth reading in them save the Bibles.

I addressed this earlier in the thread.

Agreed.

Nope. I wouldn't bother doing such a thing.

A.W.
B. B.
R. L.
J. C.
C. H.
Now that's just too easy.

No, I end them with...

Theognome

I nearly fit all of the points of the test + would wish I did on some of the aditional ones, I would love a reformation room :wow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back