Reformed in a non-reformed church....

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlackCalvinist you said:

So what's a reformed person in a non-reformed church missing ?

In my opinion everything.

If a Church is not reformed, what does that mean but that they reject the Sola's of the Reformation. Those points of doctrine are not the high mark of what it means to be a true Church but they are the bare minimum or to put it another way they are the foundation of the church. If the foundation of a Church is not level then Christ is not the Cornerstone, if Christ is not the Cornerstone then it is not a Church.

The mainline church in America is way overdue for a Reformation. Most of these churches don't even realize that they have embraced the very doctrines of Rome.

Please don't think that I am attacking these people, just the Doctrine. There are a lot of good, well meaning people in these places. And God does sometimes use crooked sticks to guide people in the right direction, but it is despite what they are doing not because of it.

For me it was a number of things.
1.I really couldn't have a decent discussion about theology with anyone.
2.The sermons were short, full of fluff, and left me with nothing of substance.
3. The worship was way too happy-clappy. More like a performance.

Now every Sunday is like a feast on the word. I could never sit under poor preaching again. I also appreciate the RPW.

I've also found a few pastors that were willing to be more open and connected with the individuals in their congregations. On the other side though, we've had a harder time connecting with people IN Reformed congregations.

Interesting. Care to elaborate why you think that might be. I kinda figured it was because we are a latino couple. Actually come to think of it I didn't have a great experience at a restaurant in Lancaster, PA either...it might just be PA people. ;)

The pastors that are most open, most down to earth, and most willing to tell it like it is without worry of politics, etc are the older ones (and we LIKE this!).

The congregational issues are probably mostly cultural differences.

(care to pm me which restaurant?)

Upon wifely correction the restaurant was in Waynesboro, PA not Lancaster. :(

Cultural differences? What is the difference in culture?

In all honesty, I could not imagine visiting a non-reformed church again.

Can you elaborate why ?

Thanks for the responses and convo so far, folks.

Frank - hit me up on PM with your number. Irwin's doing weekly communion at City of Hope ? If so, I'm THERE on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back