Reformed Covenanter blog posts on the Sabbath

Discussion in 'The Lord's Day or Christian Sabbath' started by Reformed Covenanter, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

I intentionally make an effort to publish one blog post each Lord's Day on the Sabbath. Today's offering comes from J. C. Ryle on over-busyness, personal religion, and the Sabbath.

These posts are collected together into a category on the Sabbath, though I need to update the earlier posts (Wordpress now allows you to justify the margins, which makes for ease of reading).

• Like Like x 2
    • Edifying Edifying x 1
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  2. BuddyOfDavidClarkson

BuddyOfDavidClarkson Puritan Board Freshman

Thank you so much for each blog post. I typically re-blog them.

3. Reformed Covenanter

I am glad that they are of some use to you, David.

4. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

I didn't know you were doing this; I may mine your posts for five more weeks to make 52 weeks of weekly quote posts I've been doing. I don't think I'll simply continue as my initial goal was to do it for a year and recycle or stop hopefully making my initial point (though on FB the likes have dropped significantly as I hammer that one string). They all are here in the Daily Devotion Forum 2018-2109.

5. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Some really good quotes here too: http://www.doyouconfess.com/quotations/#4th

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Reformed Covenanter

• Edifying Edifying x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Reformed Covenanter

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Reformed Covenanter

9. Reformed Covenanter

N.B. With respect to the recent discussion on John Owen's Hebrews, there should, in the will of the Lord, be several extracts from his work on the Sabbath (in volume 2) published in subsequent weeks.

10. Reformed Covenanter

11. Reformed Covenanter

12. Kinghezy

Kinghezy Puritan Board Freshman

Interesting the connection he makes between the two with taking common things (food & drink, days) but God sets them apart and imparts significance. I wonder if that would be a useful argument towards Lord's Day observance when some already esteems the Lord's Supper.

13. Reformed Covenanter

14. Reformed Covenanter

The post for this Sabbath day is Benedict Pictet on the fourth commandment. Take careful note of his final sentence. One of the practical evils of the Easter festival is that it causes us to denigrate the importance of the weekly Lord's Day as the day for remembering that Christ rose from the dead.

• Amen Amen x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Reformed Covenanter

Today's post comes from Matthew Henry on the carnality of Sabbath desecration.

Owing to the decision to hold the Belfast Marathon on the Lord's Day, as opposed to the May Day Bank Holiday (Monday), my own congregation had to cancel its morning service as a result of the disruption caused by this event.

16. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

The long time white rock lake marathon (now the BMW Dallas Marathon) is always on a Lord's Day and for years and years until the planners varied the path, it was impossible to get out of my home neighborhood and many churches' member were inconvenienced. It still is a hassle but not quite so bad since the route was revised and since we sold the family home and I moved to the other side of the lake.

17. Reformed Covenanter

18. Reformed Covenanter

If only the church would get back to this manner of testifying against such profanations: Reformed Presbyterian Synod of Ireland on the duty of a Christian nation to uphold the Sabbath (an updated version of an old post).

19. Reformed Covenanter

I have not quite been able to do that this week (I had intended to post something from Lewis Bayly, but that will have to wait for another time). Still, I have not posted anything from the Westminster divine, William Gouge on this subject for a long time. Hence, this week's post is William Gouge: The Sabbath is not a day for sports.

20. Reformed Covenanter

Today's post is something a little different. It comes from a member of the Westminster Assembly: Francis Cheynell on the danger of popery to the Lord's Day.

The sad thing is that if he were alive today, he would have to write about the danger of evangelicalism to the Sabbath. How far we have fallen in recent years!

21. Reformed Covenanter

22. Reformed Covenanter

• Like Like x 3
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  23. Reformed Covenanter

24. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

25. Reformed Covenanter