Reformed Baptist Converting to Reformed Paedobaptist (A Practical Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue on water baptism mode will always be between us as we both just disagree on what the scriptures tell to us the reason for it, and what it is to represent in our lives in Christ.

Not to keep unity at expense of theology and doctrine, but that this is an area when Christians will disagree on, period!

The issue on water baptism mode will always be between us as we both just disagree on what the scriptures tell to us the reason for it, and what it is to represent in our lives in Christ.

Not to keep unity at expense of theology and doctrine, but that this is an area when Christians will disagree on, period!

The issue is far bigger than "mode"....

I think, maybe a fellow Baptist will communicate better than I from this point.

His answers may supply what mine cannot. We need a mediating contributor.

I don't doubt your sincerity. Or your passion for truth. I'm thankful for both.

I just got the chance to read this coversation between Rev. Buchanan and Jason. I have had a couple of beneficial conversations with my wife. She is actually struggling a lot between her Reformed understanding of scripture and her strong independent fundamental Baptist upbringing. She has shed much of the latter but many of the hermeneutical pillars still seem to be in place. Long story short, I told her that her wrestling with it is a good thing. I think God may work in both of our lives in this area So, regarding Jason's advice, I certainly disagree that I should basically say "What do you have to lose?"

This process might be just what both of us needed.

I just got the chance to read this coversation between Rev. Buchanan and Jason. I have had a couple of beneficial conversations with my wife. She is actually struggling a lot between her Reformed understanding of scripture and her strong independent fundamental Baptist upbringing. She has shed much of the latter but many of the hermeneutical pillars still seem to be in place. Long story short, I told her that her wrestling with it is a good thing. I think God may work in both of our lives in this area So, regarding Jason's advice, I certainly disagree that I should basically say "What do you have to lose?"

Patrick,

Please update your signature per our rules so that we may properly address you in the future. See the signature requirements link in my sig below.

Last edited:

Patrick,

Please update your signature per our rules so that we may properly address you in the future. See the signature requirements link in my sig below.

Thank you for letting me know. Sorry for not reading that earlier.

I understand that, as this issue relates to how one understands the very nature and meaning of the Covenant of God between us now under the New One...

My point was that we will have to learn to allow each side grace to hold as they do, as not issue that should divide the Body apart over....

I understand that, as this issue relates to how one understands the very nature and meaning of the Covenant of God between us now under the New One...

My point was that we will have to learn to allow each side grace to hold as they do, as not issue that should divide the Body apart over....

David,
I would like to point out that, in a real way, we are already divided: many of us go to a Baptist churches, many go to Presbyterian churches. If you mean we should not hate and be vile toward one another, I certainly and whole-heartedly agree (some of my best friends are non-confessional Baptists, even evangelical charismatics :flamingscot:). But when it comes to the Covenant of Grace and the Sacraments, your church would not accept my son's baptism. When I say that the New Covenant is the continuous, unified unfolding of the promise made to Adam (I will cover you), Noah (I will rescue you), and Abraham (I will make you a people to numerous to count like the sand of the seashore), you wouldn't stand with me.
Rich (Semper Fidelis) just gave a brilliant exposition of baptism in another thread regarding baptism and union with Christ......a good read for sure.....

Last edited:

David,
I would like to point out that, in a real way, we are already divided: many of us go to a Baptist churches, many go to Presbyterian churches. If you mean we should hate and be vile toward one another, I certainly and whole-heartedly agree (some of my best friends are non-confessional Baptists, even evangelical charismatics :flamingscot:). But when it comes to the Covenant of Grace and the Sacraments, your church would not accept my son's baptism. When I say that the New Covenant is the continuous, unified unfolding of the promise made to Adam (I will cover you), Noah (I will rescue you), and Abraham (I will make you a people to numerous to count like the sand of the seashore), you wouldn't stand with me.
Rich (Semper Fidelis) just gave a brilliant exposition of baptism in another thread regarding baptism and union with Christ......a good read for sure.....

Now we have to hate and be vile?:(:rofl:

David,
I would like to point out that, in a real way, we are already divided: many of us go to a Baptist churches, many go to Presbyterian churches. If you mean we should hate and be vile toward one another, I certainly and whole-heartedly agree (some of my best friends are non-confessional Baptists, even evangelical charismatics :flamingscot:). But when it comes to the Covenant of Grace and the Sacraments, your church would not accept my son's baptism. When I say that the New Covenant is the continuous, unified unfolding of the promise made to Adam (I will cover you), Noah (I will rescue you), and Abraham (I will make you a people to numerous to count like the sand of the seashore), you wouldn't stand with me.

Now we have to hate and be vile?:(:rofl:

Typo of all typo's, Ed....good catch and corrected! Whoopsies! I'm glad we have humor in life........

Thank you everyone for your responses. My wife is Reformed leaning but might be more of a 3 or 4 point Calvinist. She comes from a Fundamentalist Baptist family but she appreciates Christ-Centered, Reformed teaching. We go to a 9 Marks-esque Baptist church. She may be open to having our children Baptized but I know she would not be comfortable leaving our church, especially going to a Presbyterian church. She feels strongly about Baptist church government. I agree with most of you who say that I need to lead her gently and make it a matter of prayer. Leaving our church over it would be very hard as we love the people there, yet I am only getting more convinced. This is definitely an uncomfortable time in my theological walk with God.

Im a Baptist that attends a 9Marksesque church as well, I too am Reformed in my leanings (and day by day I am even more so), however, in my opinion there is ZERO need to attend a different church. At the end of the day you are in a sound body, why would you leave that? Thats like being traded from the Indians to the Cubs in my opinion...

As far as baptizing your child: Id put it this way to your wife - since paedo MIGHT be the correct approach, and since there is nothing forbidding paedobap, then it can ONLY DO GOOD and not HARM. Maybe thats too black and white but its what I have thought to this point

Despite your membership at what you refer to as a "9 Markseque church," you don't seem to understand what they believe about Baptism beyond perhaps the very basics. (That said, I've found that some "9 Marks" churches don't have much of a clue as to what Dever and his associates really believe and practice. The same goes for Presbyterian churches and the confession. I used to belong to a church plant that professed to like 9 Marks but which did business the way that other Baptist churches do except that they didn't have an "altar call.") Convinced Baptists would take strong exception to the idea that the Bible doesn't forbid paedobaptism. In fact, several years ago, Mark Dever said that infant baptism is sinful. Whether or not we believe paedobaptism is biblical, I suspect this is the mentality that the OP is dealing with.

In fact, your post isn't "black and white" but appears to me to be rather gray. "Well, it doesn't matter, so what difference does it make?" seems to be what you're conveying.

Thank you everyone for your responses. My wife is Reformed leaning but might be more of a 3 or 4 point Calvinist. She comes from a Fundamentalist Baptist family but she appreciates Christ-Centered, Reformed teaching. We go to a 9 Marks-esque Baptist church. She may be open to having our children Baptized but I know she would not be comfortable leaving our church, especially going to a Presbyterian church. She feels strongly about Baptist church government. I agree with most of you who say that I need to lead her gently and make it a matter of prayer. Leaving our church over it would be very hard as we love the people there, yet I am only getting more convinced. This is definitely an uncomfortable time in my theological walk with God.

Im a Baptist that attends a 9Marksesque church as well, I too am Reformed in my leanings (and day by day I am even more so), however, in my opinion there is ZERO need to attend a different church. At the end of the day you are in a sound body, why would you leave that? Thats like being traded from the Indians to the Cubs in my opinion...

As far as baptizing your child: Id put it this way to your wife - since paedo MIGHT be the correct approach, and since there is nothing forbidding paedobap, then it can ONLY DO GOOD and not HARM. Maybe thats too black and white but its what I have thought to this point

Despite your membership at what you refer to as a "9 Markseque church," you don't seem to understand what they believe about Baptism beyond perhaps the very basics. (That said, I've found that some "9 Marks" churches don't have much of a clue as to what Dever and his associates really believe and practice. The same goes for Presbyterian churches and the confession. I used to belong to a church plant that professed to like 9 Marks but which did business the way that other Baptist churches do except that they didn't have an "altar call.") Convinced Baptists would take strong exception to the idea that the Bible doesn't forbid paedobaptism. In fact, several years ago, Mark Dever said that infant baptism is sinful. Whether or not we believe paedobaptism is biblical, I suspect this is the mentality that the OP is dealing with.

In fact, your post isn't "black and white" but appears to me to be rather gray. "Well, it doesn't matter, so what difference does it make?" seems to be what you're conveying.

I would like to respond to you, but the admin above has told me to "move on", and so I must abide. But thanks for sharing your wisdom brother!

I would like to respond to you, but the admin above has told me to "move on", and so I must abide. But thanks for sharing your wisdom brother!

I hadn't read the thread thoroughly before sending my response which is often a mistake. My apologies if it looks like I was piling on. Feel free to respond by PM if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back