Redemption Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get a copy? If so, could you post a review / critique of it?

I've heard one of their songs from it (God Will Lift Up Your Head) on the radio - really liked it. I like the original hymn, and, while I don't always appreciate re-vamping the music (and I liked the original tune), I thought they did a good job. The first bit reminded me of U2 a little.

I've requested a copy from the library, but there's a long-ish waitlist, so I guess I'll just have to be patient! (And it's a long while until Christmas!)

The whole album concept is old hymns and spirituals. These are the songs on the album (stars by my personal favorites):

God Be Merciful To Me (Psalm 51) *
I Need Thee Every Hour
God Will Lift Up Your Head *
I'll Fly Away *
Nothing But The Blood
Let Us Love And Sing And Wonder *
O Come And Mourn With Me Awhile
Hiding Place
Jesus, I Lift My Eyes
It Is Well With My Soul
On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand **
Thou Lovely Source Of True Delight
They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love

The Blind Boys of Alabama, Sarah Kelly, and Delirious also have appearances on some of the songs. Guitars, banjoes, harmonicas, violins. A truly beautiful piece of work.

I (finally!) was able to get it out of the library - it is GOOD! (And I have a tendancy to be a little biased to traditional versions of hymns, rather than re-done ones).

Here's my summary:

*God Be Merciful to Me - When was the last time you heard a CCM version of a psalm - taken from the 1912 Psalter? And Psalm 51 at that? I was pleasantly surprised here. :)

*I Need Thee Every Hour - I really like what they've done with this one. They've managed to add some extra acoustics & vocals in places, while still maintaining the simplicity of the song.

*God Will Lift Up Your Head - Taken from "Give to the winds your fears". One of the (very) few good CCM songs that the radio is playing these days! I always turn the volume up on this one! Beginning reminds me a little of U2; they do a good job with overlapping vocals on the chorus.

*I'll Fly Away - I like this song. A lot.

*Nothing But the Blood - Not so sure about this one! Think I'll stick with the more traditional version. :)

*Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder - Fairly well done. Still not sure whether I prefer this or the more traditional version.

*O Come and Mourn With Me Awhile - A little more up-beat than what I was expecting for this hymn, but well done. Very catchy - I've had this running through my head.

*Hiding Place - Calming.

*Jesus, I Lift My Eyes - Up-beat and catchy. Good lyrics, too.

*It Is Well With My Soul - I really like what they've done here. They've changed some of the chords to more minor ones, and it sounds surprisingly good. I'm not normally that keen on this style, or on changing a tune this much - but for some reason, it works here.

*On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand - VERY good. I remember them doing this at the end of a concert a few years ago - liked it then, like it even more now. Probably also has something to do with the fact that I've been feeling homesick lately, and the reminder that "I am bound for the promise land" is a help.

*Thou Lovely Source of True Delight - I read the words in the liner notes and liked them, but I'm still not getting all of them when I listen to it. Fairly low-key music. I expect it'll grow on me.

*They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love - Nicely done. My littlest sister's favorite! :)

Now if I could only come up with the 15-20 dollars, I'd buy it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back