Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Puritan Board Freshman
I just bought the book, Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem. Does anyone have this book? I have read some of it already, and it seems to be a helpful volume.

I read it when it came out ('91?). The book was (and still is) one of the more powerful statements of biblical complementarianism. I appreciated the generosity of CBMW in posting the entire book (and many others) online in PDF format free of charge. Evidently, being in the minority stimulates a desire to get one's arguments out there in the public eye one way or the other.

I find it strangely ironic that while Scanzoni and Hardesty penned the first "evangelical" book defending the emerging ideology of "evangelical feminism," it was Fuller Seminary's Jewett who provided the intellectual buttressing of the movement with his Man as Male and Female (75). Yet, the largest defense of complementarianism came from the editorial work of Piper and Grudem, two men who had attended Fuller (Piper went on to graduate, Grudem eventually transferred to Westminster). Back when Piper went to Fuller, I don't think you could graduate without taking three classes from Jewett. Interesting how he went in the opposite direction. His favorite prof at Fuller, Dan Fuller, told me last week that covenant theology is the most "illogical, confusing, mish-mash of a theology" that he knew. Interesting how both Piper and Grudem went on to affirm Calvinistic credo baptism AND complementarianism.

Last edited:
I have a copy of this book in my library and have read most of it. It's one of the better books I have read on the subject, and it's nice to have more than one author's viewpoint.

The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (http://www.cbmw.org/Online-Books/) posts the following complete books (several of them by Grudem) online in PDF format.

Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood
Biblical Womanhood in the Home
Building Strong Families
Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?
Equality in Christ
Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth
The Feminist Gospel
The Feminist Mistake
Fifty Crucial Questions
The Gender Neutral Bible Controversy
Man and Woman in Christ
Pastoral Leadership for Manhood and Womanhood