Recommendations on Jonah

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
We're finishing up Galatians and starting in on Jonah. Any good stuff out there on the book of Jonah that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

Best commentary on Jonah is by Youngblood, called God's Scandalous Mercy. Also, pick up Daniel Timmer's volume on Jonah called A Gracious and Compassionate God. Martin is good, in the Geneva series, and so is Rosemary Dixon's volume in the Bible Speaks Today series. Rick Phillips wrote Jonah and Micah for the Reformed Expository Commentary series, and that is outstanding. John Mackay's volume on Jonah-Zephaniah is briefer, but always worth consulting. Estelle's volume is good, if you can stand having to work through pages where the footnotes take up more space than the regular material.

One book Lane didn't mention is Patrick Fairbairn on Jonah. Like all Fairbairn, that's worthwhile.

Unfortunately, most to all of these are print only. I prefer print but we're living outside the US so I have to make do with kindle or PDF's. I did get Fairbairn and Tyndale's was also available on Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back