Recommendations on Jonah

Discussion in 'OT Prophets' started by JTB.SDG, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

We're finishing up Galatians and starting in on Jonah. Any good stuff out there on the book of Jonah that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

2. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

3. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

Best commentary on Jonah is by Youngblood, called God's Scandalous Mercy. Also, pick up Daniel Timmer's volume on Jonah called A Gracious and Compassionate God. Martin is good, in the Geneva series, and so is Rosemary Dixon's volume in the Bible Speaks Today series. Rick Phillips wrote Jonah and Micah for the Reformed Expository Commentary series, and that is outstanding. John Mackay's volume on Jonah-Zephaniah is briefer, but always worth consulting. Estelle's volume is good, if you can stand having to work through pages where the footnotes take up more space than the regular material.

4. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

One book Lane didn't mention is Patrick Fairbairn on Jonah. Like all Fairbairn, that's worthwhile.

5. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator

Spurgeon says of this book "The life and times of the prophet are set in a clear light; and the nature and design of his mission fully explained. The work is well done, and is by far the ablest English treatise on this prophet."
    http://www.romans45.org/spurgeon/misc/c&c_c07.htm

6. JTB.SDG

Thanks fellas

7. JTB.SDG

Unfortunately, most to all of these are print only. I prefer print but we're living outside the US so I have to make do with kindle or PDF's. I did get Fairbairn and Tyndale's was also available on Kindle.

8. mgkortus

mgkortus Puritan Board Freshman

I would recommend Gordon Keddie's commentary: Preacher on the Run, from the Welwyn series.

9. Travis Fentiman

Travis Fentiman Puritan Board Freshman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.