Reciting Apostle's Creed During the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Ellen Nagle

Puritan Board Senior
Our congregation not long ago began the practice of saying the Apostles creed as the elements of the bread and wine are distributed. Well, actually it finishes before the bread is fully distributed. I find it rather distracting and I don't participate. Any thoughts as to the ideas behind practicing this? I am going to ask about this Mon. evening when our Pastor visits but I would be interested in some feedback on this.

I should mention I refrain from the creed because I hold to the Directory of Public Worship (WCF). I don't intend to start any debates. :)

I'm not in favor of distraction during the Lord's Supper. I won't condemn another church for reciting the Apostles Creed, but I am not partial to it.

I'm not in favor of distraction during the Lord's Supper. I won't condemn another church for reciting the Apostles Creed, but I am not partial to it.

Of course we're not partial to it, Bill, we're Baptists! But I have to agree. I think a number of the creeds are fine. We just don't recite them as part of our worship.

And I agree that reciting a creed would be a distraction, at least during the LORD's Supper. Seems to me it makes more sense to recite the creed prior to the LORD's Supper.

Of course we're not partial to it, Bill, we're Baptists! But I have to agree. I think a number of the creeds are fine. We just don't recite them as part of our worship.

And I agree that reciting a creed would be a distraction, at least during the LORD's Supper. Seems to me it makes more sense to recite the creed prior to the LORD's Supper.

You mean it's okay to admit I'm a Baptist? ;)

You mean it's okay to admit I'm a Baptist? ;)

Well, just between you and me. :p

I do realize many church's recite the Apostles Creed during worship. I am just wondering about the idea behind reciting it during communion. I can safely say that I attend an FV influenced church and wonder if that factors in somewhat. I do know there was a study recently that went through Meyer's book_The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship. I did not attend these studies and so think I will get the book and read it.

I generally understand the idea behind reciting the creed but to place it in the supper...It seems to me...that there must be some concept driving it there.

Well, I'll get it figured out and if needs be might seek some feedback then. Unless of course anyone is familiar with the reason behind such a shift.

Have a good Lord's Day.

Last edited:
I think to recite it during the reception of the Lord's supper is daft. But by all means say it some time during the service. John Knox did!

Why so?

In my humble opinion,I think you should reconsider your decision not to participate.

It seems to be a severe reaction. Partaking of the Supper with the Body is very important for you and your family. Start a polite dialouge with your elders and follow their final decision. I think some others here would agree and be able to advise you as to why it is important.

I believe it is the creed being abstained from, not the supper itself. If I'm wrong mea culpa (and would agree this issue is not sufficient to cease partaking of the Supper).

You are correct. Perhaps I was not clear though I thought I was but we do participate in the supper. :up:

I believe it is the creed being abstained from, not the supper itself. If I'm wrong mea culpa (and would agree this issue is not sufficient to cease partaking of the Supper).

Historically the Nicene Creed not the Apostles was said at prior to the distribution of the elements during the Lord's Supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back