Recent PhD thesis on Robert Leighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I just came across this 2012 PhD thesis on Robert Leighton from the University of Glasgow. I am almost finished reading through the two-volumes of his works (having previously read his Theological Lectures in another format), it is clear that Leighton is highly underrated as a theologian. Arguably, that is partly his own fault as he made certain political decisions that proved disastrous, which probably unduly coloured subsequent opinions of him.

Still, I have not read that much biographical material on him (there is a section specifically on Leighton in Nick Needham's latest volume in his 2,000 Years of Christ's Power series and I recall reading a bit about him in J. D. Douglas' Light in the North many moons ago), so it will be interesting to delve into this thesis at some point.

Here is an interesting comment about how Robert Leighton saw himself (not saying that we should take it entirely at face value, but it is interesting):

[F]or I am so desirous to keep far off from the reach of that prejudice that abounds in these parts, against the very name of my sacred function, as apt to command and domineer too much, that I may possibly err on the other hand, and scarce perform the duty of the lowest and most moderate kind of moderator …

Robert Leighton, Paper given in by the Bishop to the Synod, April 1667 in The Whole Works of the Most Reverend Father in God, Robert Leighton, D.D., Archbishop of Glasgow (2 vols, London: James Duncan, 1828), 2: 556.

His commentary on 1 Peter is outstanding. Definitely one to own.

I finished reading the two volumes of his works yesterday, which include the commentary on 1 Peter. In my estimation, he is a greatly undervalued theologian. Sadly, his "political" mistakes have harmed his subsequent reputation, but there is no doubt that he was a man of great piety and doctrinal orthodoxy.

Edit: Just realised that I have basically repeated what I said in the OP. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back