Recent monographs on Justification recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
I am looking at the one by Fesko (P and R) or the two volumes of Horton. Which is preferable? (or both are good?). If there are any other solid books on Justification similar to these (in the last 20 years or so, please mention).

@greenbaggins if you would kindly weigh in, thanks much.

I haven't read the one from Fesko but I do know Horton's is more update and makes use of Iron's dissertation on The Righteousness of God which overturns the longstanding and previously little challenged Cremer thesis.

I haven't read the one from Fesko but I do know Horton's is more update and makes use of Iron's dissertation on The Righteousness of God which overturns the longstanding and previously little challenged Cremer thesis.
Yeah, I think Horton is a sooner or later purchase. So much historical theology packed into it as well.

I've read both and would say both are well worth having. Fesko is a bit easier to read, and has a better treatment of the NPP. Horton is broader in his conversation partners and treats of more related issues. They complement each other rather well. I would, however, recommend reading Fesko before Horton. One should also read Buchanan's excellent volume, as well as volume 5 of John Owen's works in order to have an excellent foundation in the Protestant conception. The recent collection of essays edited by Michael Barrett and D.A. Carson called The Doctrine By Which the Church Stands or Falls looks to be excellent. Have it, but have only dipped into it. Of course, it is a collection of essays, and not a single author work, which will present both positives and negatives.

I've read both and would say both are well worth having. Fesko is a bit easier to read, and has a better treatment of the NPP. Horton is broader in his conversation partners and treats of more related issues. They complement each other rather well. I would, however, recommend reading Fesko before Horton. One should also read Buchanan's excellent volume, as well as volume 5 of John Owen's works in order to have an excellent foundation in the Protestant conception. The recent collection of essays edited by Michael Barrett and D.A. Carson called The Doctrine By Which the Church Stands or Falls looks to be excellent. Have it, but have only dipped into it. Of course, it is a collection of essays, and not a single author work, which will present both positives and negatives.
*Matthew Barrett

Although you mention monographs specifically, other resources (obviously due to key passages) are recent commentaries on Galatians. I have Fesko and Moo, both excellent and solid reformed interpretations. Fesko is very readable and is available for $19 on Logos (vs. the absurd asking price of $300 on Amazon for the print). Moo is technical and very much interacts with NPP.

Although you mention monographs specifically, other resources (obviously due to key passages) are recent commentaries on Galatians. I have Fesko and Moo, both excellent and solid reformed interpretations. Fesko is very readable and is available for $19 on Logos (vs. the absurd asking price of $300 on Amazon for the print). Moo is technical and very much interacts with NPP.
Thanks for this. I do have Fesko there. I do want Schreiner on Romans soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back