Receiving Offerings an Element of Worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
I notice that WCF 21 does not mention receiving monetary offerings as an element of worship. Do the standards discuss this elsewhere? Historically, I imagine that all Reformed churches have taken up monetary collections in some way or other. Did they do it apart from worship?

Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 38 specifically mentions the bringing of offerings as part of worship on the Lord's day.

Technically speaking, isn't ALL of our obedience and submission to God an act of worship?

It is not in the Westminster Confession of Faith "Of Religions Worship and the Sabbath Day," as you point out as an element of worship.

It is in the Directory of Public Worship (which is attached as advisory to the PCA's adopted constitutional standards).

Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Directory of Public Worship

CHAPTER 54
The Worship of God by Offerings
54-1. The Holy Scriptures teach that God is the owner of all persons and
all things and that we are but stewards of both life and possessions; that
God’s ownership and our stewardship should be acknowledged; that this
acknowledgement should take the form, in part, of giving at least a tithe of
our income and other offerings to the work of the Lord through the Church of
Jesus Christ, thus worshipping the Lord with our possessions; and that the
remainder should be used as becomes Christians.

54-2. It is both a privilege and a duty, plainly enjoined in the Bible, to
make regular, weekly, systematic and proportionate offerings for the support
of religion and for the propagation of the Gospel in our own and foreign
lands, and for the relief of the poor. This should be done as an exercise of
grace and an act of worship, and at such time during the service as may be
deemed expedient by the Session.

54-3. It is appropriate that the offerings be dedicated by prayer.

Last edited:
Your quote is from the PCA's DIRECTORY FOR THE WORSHIP OF GOD and not the Westminster Directory for the Publick Worship of God

It is not in the Westminster Confession of Faith "Of Religions Worship and the Sabbath Day," as you point out as element of worship.

Yet, it is in the Westminster Directory of Public Worship (which is attached as advisory to the PCA's adopted constitutional standards) and also in the PCA's Book of Church Order (and all other Presbyterian ones I'm aware of ).

Westminster Directory of Public Worship

CHAPTER 54
The Worship of God by Offerings
54-1. The Holy Scriptures teach that God is the owner of all persons and
all things and that we are but stewards of both life and possessions; that
God’s ownership and our stewardship should be acknowledged; that this
acknowledgement should take the form, in part, of giving at least a tithe of
our income and other offerings to the work of the Lord through the Church of
Jesus Christ, thus worshipping the Lord with our possessions; and that the
remainder should be used as becomes Christians.

54-2. It is both a privilege and a duty, plainly enjoined in the Bible, to
make regular, weekly, systematic and proportionate offerings for the support
of religion and for the propagation of the Gospel in our own and foreign
lands, and for the relief of the poor. This should be done as an exercise of
grace and an act of worship, and at such time during the service as may be
deemed expedient by the Session.

54-3. It is appropriate that the offerings be dedicated by prayer.

Yes, Joe you are correct, and the citation is now updated.

Having glanced through the Directory of "Publick" Worship produced by the Westminster divines, I'm not seeing a section for collection of offerings-
http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_standards/index.html

Do you know if it is there or attached as an appendix?

Also, the language used in the PCA "Directory for Worship" appears to follow the Westminster Directory in some places- does anyone know if this was based on a revision adopted in the American colonies, etc.? The adopted Confession and Catechisms appear to be 98% the same.:think:

For what it's worth - Our practice is that we place offering boxes in the back of the sanctuary. Those who choose to give place their tithes and offerings in them either before the service or after. Occasionally a visitor will ask "I was expecting a plate to be passed (at least once!) but that did not happen. I would like to give, how do I do that?" We point them to the boxes.

Your quote is still titled Westminster Directory of Public Worship. It should be clear that your quote is from the PCA BCO.

I know of no place in the westminster standards that shows receiving money to be an element of worship nor money being collected during the service.

Some churches keep a box on a table where folks can put their offerings before or after the service.

Yes, Joe you are correct, and the citation is now updated.

Having glanced through the Directory of "Publick" Worship produced by the Westminster divines, I'm not seeing a section for collection of offerings-
The Westminster Confession of Faith Subordinate Documents

Do you know if it is there or attached as an appendix?

Also, the language used in the PCA "Directory for Worship" appears to follow the Westminster Directory in some places- does anyone know if this was based on a revision adopted in the American colonies, etc.? The adopted Confession and Catechisms appear to be 98% the same.:think:

Last edited:
Some churches keep a box on a table where folks can put their offerings before or after the service.
For what it's worth - Our practice is that we place offering boxes in the back of the sanctuary.

As does ours,
(I appreciate the practice)

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Technically speaking, isn't ALL of our obedience and submission to God an act of worship?

In a general way of speaking yes.

But Scripture is also quite specific in saying what God will have as worship of Him. (A good list of Scripture proofs is in the Westminster Confession at Chapter XXI.).

That includes worship that is corporate (public), in family, and individual (private).

This is what is sometimes referred to as the regulative principle of principle (Scripture explicitly regulates how God will be worshiped).

But Scripture is also quite specific in saying what God will have as worship of Him. (A good list of Scripture proofs is in the Westminster Confession at Chapter XXI.).

That includes worship that is corporate (public), in family, and individual (private).

This is what is sometimes referred to as the regulative principle of principle (Scripture explicitly regulates how God will be worshiped).

In keeping with the title of this thread, how do we determine whether taking offerings is an element of worship? The RPW dictates that the Bible is to be the source that regulates our worship, but what exegetical principles determines if something is an element of worship or simply something that is commanded to be practiced outside of worship?

what exegetical principles determines if something is an element of worship or simply something that is commanded to be practiced outside of worship?

You will get some good answers here.

Our starting point is what the Scripture explicitly, or by "good and necessary consequence" reveals is God's commands of how He will be worshipped:

Westminster Confession

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back