Rebinding old Bible or getting new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Guys,

I've had my present Bible for 10 years. Though it looks pretty good for that span of time, it's starting to loosen a bit and show some wear and tear a little on the page edges, etc.

I'm trying to weigh two options. I was thinking at first about getting a new one. I was looking at some nicer Bibles with good leather that could maybe last the rest of my life.

But then I started wondering if I should just get my present Bible rebound. I've heard really good things in particular about Caloca rebinds. I do really love my bible (it's a NASB ultrathin reference bible). It's got a ton of notes in it from over the last 10 years, that I would really hate to lose access to.

At the same time, I'm wondering even if I get it rebound in good leather, will the page edges continue to go? Though the cover will last decades, will the pages continue to last?

I think I need to make a decision about this soon. Any thoughts?

Guys,

I've had my present Bible for 10 years. Though it looks pretty good for that span of time, it's starting to loosen a bit and show some wear and tear a little on the page edges, etc.

I'm trying to weigh two options. I was thinking at first about getting a new one. I was looking at some nicer Bibles with good leather that could maybe last the rest of my life.

But then I started wondering if I should just get my present Bible rebound. I've heard really good things in particular about Caloca rebinds. I do really love my bible (it's a NASB ultrathin reference bible). It's got a ton of notes in it from over the last 10 years, that I would really hate to lose access to.

At the same time, I'm wondering even if I get it rebound in good leather, will the page edges continue to go? Though the cover will last decades, will the pages continue to last?

I think I need to make a decision about this soon. Any thoughts?

You're a little young for a 'rest of my life' Bible.

If it has a sewn binding, (which the Lockman/Foundation Press editions typically do) go for it if you're sure you really want this one due to all of the notes, etc. But likely the only thing that will help the pages is using it less or else making sure that you aren't being too rough with it. (I think the pages in any Bible will start showing wear after a while. I have a few like that, some of which is probably the result of flipping through it with my thumb.)

I've heard good things about Caloca, and I've heard good things about many others in the various "Bible Geek" Facebook groups that I'm in. Several years ago (i.e. before J. Mark Bertrand's Bible Design Blog really took off in popularity) you had Leonard's, Ace, ABBA, Mechling, Norris and a few others who do rebinding and restoration that had a web presence. Now in the past few years you have Caloca, Frost and probably a few others whose name escapes me that have gotten into that market.

Some NASB fans might hold off (especially if it isn't actually starting to come apart) because there is a revised NASB that is supposed to be released within a year or so. I've started reading the NASB more regularly in the past few years for various reasons. But I plan to hold off investing in any more copies and will wait and see what they do with the revision. I do regret not getting a nice Side-Column Reference back when they were made in the USA with much better materials (especially the paper) than they use now.

Let's say you get a new Bible, why would you lose access to your notes? Yes, you wouldn't see them when you read in a new Bible, but unless you toss your old one, you'll have those notes still.

Let's say you get a new Bible, why would you lose access to your notes? Yes, you wouldn't see them when you read in a new Bible, but unless you toss your old one, you'll have those notes still.

Right, I wouldn't toss the old Bible. But I wouldn't have immediate access right there I guess. The notes are everywhere so it's not just like if I'm reading Jeremiah 31 and remember, "Oh, I made a note about this in my old Bible"; I've got a terrible memory and just can't remember what I wrote where; which is why I wrote a lot of notes. Also just pure sentimentality. This is the Bible I got when I graduated seminary.

Francis Schaefer would always hand copy all of his notes into his Bible whenever he got a new one, so there's always that option.

1. I'm having the same debate with myself. I love having my notes in my NASB. But when I decide to recover, and see what I want in terms of leather, the price gets crazy.

Here's one of the major questions for me. The biggest concern about my present Bible is that some of the page edges are starting to "serrate" a bit. I think this is because the present leather cover has worn down to basically the height of the pages. If I were to rebind this one and have the leather stick out a good bit more (I believe they call this a semi-yapp), will the pages continue to deteriorate or would it sort of keep them in the condition they are for a good while?

If I were to rebind this one and have the leather stick out a good bit more (I believe they call this a semi-yapp), will the pages continue to deteriorate or would it sort of keep them in the condition they are for a good while?
I've had a couple of Bibles rebound by Leonards. Very nice work. Yes, the yap will protect the page edges when it is closed. How you handle the pages will have something to do with wear and tear. What comes to my mind is something my grandma used to say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear." So don't go overboard on the cover. In my humble opinion :)

Here's one of the major questions for me. The biggest concern about my present Bible is that some of the page edges are starting to "serrate" a bit. I think this is because the present leather cover has worn down to basically the height of the pages. If I were to rebind this one and have the leather stick out a good bit more (I believe they call this a semi-yapp), will the pages continue to deteriorate or would it sort of keep them in the condition they are for a good while?

If that's the reason why the pages are doing that (and it may well be) then a new cover with full or semi-yapp would certainly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back