"Rebaptism" of those who previously made a false profession

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw an old "Sovereign Grace Baptist" preacher refer to Reformed Baptists as being "High Water Presbyterians." I think the idea that no one should ever be "rebaptized" or immersed a second time, even in a clear case like I laid out in the OP, is one example of what he had in mind. That alone doesn't mean the position is wrong, but that it's a little more clear in my mind what the brother meant.

I would be somewhat surprised if the man that is Spencer's current avatar (I believe it is John A. Broadus) would agree with what he posted as I don't think that's generally the 19th Century Southern Baptist view (or American Baptist for that matter.) But we're not likely to agree 100% with anyone and shouldn't be bound merely by what some worthies of the past thought. While the LBCF doesn't speak directly to the issue one way or another, from my reading of it, it seems that it's more both/and rather than either/or with regard to the church's testimony and the recipient's.

Due to a number of reasons I'm not going to be able to spend much time on the board in the foreseeable future. So I likely won't post any more on this at this time unless anyone has anything new to add. Thanks for the discussion. :pilgrim:

I was re-baptized, as well as another I know, the reason simply being we believed our previous professions were false, and so could not be Biblical baptisms. At least for myself at the time of my first one, I didn't have a clue what true baptism was about, nor did I have a matching understanding of the Gospel. It seemed disqualified at every point.

A similar instance recently occurred at my church. (Not me.)

[
There is no evidence that any of them rejected the validity of Rome's baptism. (Calvin's wife was from an anabaptist background and I understand her baptism was accepted as valid baptism as well.) While that's an important question that has been debated among Presbyterians (with most of them accepting the validity of Rome's baptism) it is a rabbit trail that is off topic in this thread. If that's an issue you're looking to discuss, opening a new thread would be helpful, especially for those who may be new here and might not familiar with that issue.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Redness, please fix your signature. Click on 'Signature Requirements' below my signature to learn how.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back