Reality Check from Mr. Jeremiah Burroughs

Discussion in 'The Pilgrims Progress' started by Joshua, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

Jeremiah Burroughs (An Exposition of the Prophecy of Hosea, p. 20):

The adversaries of the church are never satisfied, yield to them, gratify them in what you will: this is the first temptation. What! will you be so strict and rugged, and yield to them in nothing? say some: but if they prevail with you to begin to yield, they will encroach upon you. Hezekiah yielded to Sennacherib, even to take away the gold of the temple doors, yet a little while after he comes again with a great host, so that Hezekiah said, it was “a day of trouble and rebuke,” chap. 19:3. Nothing will quiet them but the ruin of the church, they must needs have that; “Down with it, down with it, even to the ground!” nothing else will satisfy them.​

• Like Like x 8
    • Edifying Edifying x 1
    • List
  2. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

I have a few posts from Jeremiah Burroughs here; I need to add more material from him to the blog, as his writings are always very edifying.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Pergamum

Pergamum Ordinary Guy (TM)

Appeasement never works.

4. scottmaciver

scottmaciver Puritan Board Sophomore

Thanks Josh. I need to read more Burroughs. Gospel Worship was a superb read! Do you have any favourites of Burroughs writings?

5. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

His biography "Life of gospel peace" is a must read
    "Rare jewel of Christian contentment" Baner of Truth Classic
    "Christ inviting sinners to come to him for rest" Must read. Puritan publications
    "Excellency of holy courage in evil times." Very relevant for the times in which we live. Puritan publications.
    "Moses- self denial" Soli Deo Gloria Publications

• Like Like x 4
    • Edifying Edifying x 1
    • List
  6. scottmaciver

scottmaciver Puritan Board Sophomore

Much appreciated Stephen!

7. Reformed Covenanter

Who wrote/published this book?

8. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

The Difference Between the Spots of the Godly and of the Wicked, but -really- I'd say all of his works, though I disagree with his understanding of church polity.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

A layman named Phillip Simpson. He had set up the Jeremiah Burroughs Homepage several years prior to that. The book is published by Reformation Heritage Books. Here's the information about the author from RHB:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Pilgrim

I actually just picked up a few Burroughs titles today:

Irenicum
    Gospel Fear
    Hope
    The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

11. Pilgrim

12. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

My pleasure
    I see Chris has answered your question. I thought I would give this quote from the preface of the biography as I think it wonderfully summarises why Burroughs writings have been loved and cherished through the centuries. The author of the biography writes:
    ".. Burroughs showed me a view of the Almighty that relieved, refreshed, and revitalised me. Burroughs showed me how Christ could satisfy my every need saying "A Christian should be satisfied with what God has made the object of his faith [ie, Christ]. The object of his faith is high enough to satisfy his soul .... since God is contented with Himself alone, if you have Him you may be contented with Him alone, and it may be, that is the reason why your natural comforts are taken away from you, that God may be all in all to you." "

The Jeremiah Burroughs homepage mentioned above also has some helpful sermons on Burroughs classic and loved book "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment". I found it helpful listening to them when reading the book. http://jeremiahburroughsonsite.blogspot.com/2007/08/audio-resources.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Reformed Covenanter

Thanks to Chris and Stephen for the information on the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.