Reading the Puritans--Where Should I Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give feedback on "The Reformed Pastor" by Richard Baxter? Although not theological it came highly recommended as a great puritan work. I was told that although aimed a Pastors it is very well written and instructive for Pastors and laymen alike. One of those books I just never got around to reading although it's still on my Amazon wish list. So many books, such little time.

I agree Durham will never be as popular as Watson or other of the widely English Puritans. Level of Durham difficulty will probably vary based on the book. Lectures on Job* given the brevity of the chapters is fine for reading in family worship, which some have told me they have done. Ten Commandments has some tough sections;and it took me forever to figure out some of the outline in the Isaiah 53 which has outlines spanning several sermons at a time often. A lot depends on the source; whether Durham worked on the publication (Revelation; Scandal, as he was dying) or the text is from notes left by hearers (basically everything else but those two).
*Lectures on Job is actually a pretty good "first Puritan commentary" to take up given is brevity.
If you do not like long winded confusing writing, avoid Durham. Chris did a good job trying to outline Durham's writings to make it a little easier to follow, but even with that I have to reread sections quite frequently.

Hello Sharon

I can imagine that all the different opinions are not helping, and I'm not sure this post will help either... But here's what comes to my mind.

1. Robert Trail's Sermons on Hebrews 4:16, and his sermons on Galatians 2:21. I feel that Mr Trail had a wonderful understanding, and a wonderful way of explaining the freeness of the grace of God. I'm always refreshed reading him, because he does not excuse sin, or our backsliding, but rather directs us immediately to the grace and forgiveness of God. And I learn again and again that spiritual progress can't be made until we have the actual belief of the freeness of God's grace in our hearts. I trust I always have the belief of this doctrine in my head, but it's when I experience the power of it in my heart that I feel the desire to serve Christ the Lord, and to mortify the sin within. And I guess that's why I like Trail so much.

2. Although I haven't even read the whole of it, I would strongly recommend John Owen's work on Psalm 130. He takes a systematic look at what evidence we have that there is forgiveness with God. This might seem strange at first, but as you read it I think you'll realize what a profound effect it has on you. To see in order all the ways in which the Lord has declared forgiveness by way of atonement, I think it will leave one speechless.

3. I read most of Thomas Boston's Human Nature in its Fourfold State when I was 15 and 16, so it's been a while. But I would strongly recommend it. My wife tells me that it was by means of this book that she finally came to understand original sin.

4. Last but not least, we should never forget that little work The Christian's Great Interest by William Guthrie. John Owen himself said "That author I take to be one of the greatest divines that ever wrote. His book is my vade mecum. I carry it always with me. I have written several folios, but there is more divinity in this little book than in them all."

Baxter's Reformed Pastor was basically a rebuke and an encouragement to ministers of the Gospel. A rebuke to those who take their profession lightly, and an encouragement to take their calling seriously and the fate of all those outside of Christ.
He encourages not only for the saving of men's souls but for the building up of the church in the knowledge of Christ & His Word in conducting regular personal catechizing. I enjoyed the read. Baxter's heart was obviously heavy for the lost. I would say, though, this isn't one of my top Puritan reads. There are a lot more that I would encourage to read before this...

Anything by Owens is good. He is excellent in his treatment of the Holy Spirit and his commentary on Hebrews is outstanding.

Hello Sharon
I can imagine that all the different opinions are not helping, and I'm not sure this post will help either...

...I read most of Thomas Boston's Human Nature in its Fourfold State when I was 15 and 16, so it's been a while. But I would strongly recommend it. My wife tells me that it was by means of this book that she finally came to understand original sin.
Hi Mark! Thanks for your recommendations. This is actually helping quite a bit--a few are emerging as clear front-runners. :)
I remember your wife mentioning that book as a favorite of hers years ago, so I'll put down two votes for that one (yes, I actually have a little chart with a hash mark for each vote).

...I also really enjoyed,Thomas Boston's "The Crook in the Lot" it's an easy read and yet very deep
I've read this one--it was given to me by friends when I was experiencing a crook in my own lot. It was very good.

At the moment I'm reading the Letters of Samuel Rutherford. Next up will be Goodwin's "Heart of Christ Toward Sinners" which got a strong recommendation from both my dad and brother--their votes carry extra weight. :) Though I will have to talk my other brother into returning it first. Maybe while I'm waiting I'll read Goodwin's Return of Prayers which got a strong recommendation from my dad, plus was mentioned in the sermon last night.

Still deciding on what comes after that--the front runners so far are:
Watson's Body of Divinity
Owen's Mortification of Sin
Calvin's Institutes
Jeremiah Burroughs, Gospel Worship

This is what you need to do starting immediately:

1. Start reading Thomas Watson's Heaven Taken by Storm.

2. Do not read another comment past this one as it will just confuse you more and cloud your judgment.

3. Do not read any other book until you finish this one.

4. If necessary read it again and memorize all numbered lists.

Hurry!!! Run to your bookshelf! Lock yourself in your closet with a lantern. Put your hand on the plow and DO NOT look back!!!

Okay Sharon. Then I would say read "Mortification of Sin" by Owen. There, it's done. I chose one book.

One of the most blessed reads I have ever had, in a book that was not the Bible, was from this one by John Owen.

:agree: Then immediately follow it up with "Holiness" by J.C. Ryle, if you have it (quite the 1-2 punch).

Okay Sharon. Then I would say read "Mortification of Sin" by Owen. There, it's done. I chose one book.

One of the most blessed reads I have ever had, in a book that was not the Bible, was from this one by John Owen.

:agree: Then immediately follow it up with "Holiness" by J.C. Ryle, if you have it (quite the 1-2 punch).

:agree:

As good as the others are, especially Watson's Body of Divinity, start with Owen's Mortification of Sin. Very foundational. I'd go from there to Body of Divinity...

Can anyone give feedback on "The Reformed Pastor" by Richard Baxter? Although not theological it came highly recommended as a great puritan work. I was told that although aimed a Pastors it is very well written and instructive for Pastors and laymen alike. One of those books I just never got around to reading although it's still on my Amazon wish list. So many books, such little time.

Get an abridged copy that carves out all of the stuff about the English church at that time.

At the moment I'm reading the Letters of Samuel Rutherford. Next up will be Goodwin's "Heart of Christ Toward Sinners" which got a strong recommendation from both my dad and brother--their votes carry extra weight. :)

Sharon, I just finished reading this (I'm fairly new to Puritan literature as well) and it is quite wonderful -- I can't speak highly enough of it, for the comfort and the joy of how well he communicates the subject matter. You may just want to go on reading Goodwin when you've finished :) (I'm reading Encouragements to Faith now.)

I'm also reading the letters of Samuel Rutherford. So we have a lot in common at present -- 709 pages, at least :)

It's nice to 'meet' you, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back