Reading the Puritans--Where Should I Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexanRose

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello friends,

I live in a house full of books. I'm ashamed to say that I've read very few of them. :eek: I'd like to read through the great Puritan classics, but don't know where to start--too much to choose from! What would you suggest?

I'm not going to bother listing what we've got here because we pretty much have everything. For example, just in the bookcase to my left right now I can see the works of Thomas Goodwin, the works of John Owen, the works of Ralph Erskine (behind me in my avatar, actually), the works of Ebenezer Erskine, Calvin's commentaries, Matthew Henry's commentaries, Durham, Gillespie, Beeke, and much more, and that's just one of a half-dozen bookcases.

So, where should I start? Already reading: Matthew Henry's commentaries, whatever's in the latest Free Presbyterian Magazine, and of course, the Bible.

(In case you're wondering, the library is my Dad's, not mine.)

I'm going to ask my Dad and brothers for their suggestions too, but thought I would get additional input here. Thanks for your help! :book2:

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

*sigh* I just realized that there is a "Puritan Literature" subforum that I completely overlooked, which of course contains a thread similar to this one. Forgive me, I'm new!

(Though of course if you want to share your favorites all over again, I'd be happy to listen.)

Pick two good ones. Then read them twice. Then when people visit and inevitably say, "My what a lot of books; have you read them all?", you can say, "Some of them twice."

Thomas Watson is always a great place to start. His Body of Divinity specifically.

There's also a Matthew Henry Reading Challenge underway. Just started in fact. Still time to catch up!

Two books I would recommend first off are the Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher. It is one of the best. And any edited version of John Owen on Motification and sin.

If your Dad has anything by William Symington like Messiah the Prince or on the Atonement I recommend them also.

Oh yeah, I forgot one. Jeremiah Borroughs on Gospel Woship. It is significantly very important.

Oh boy, Sharon, there are so many good ones I'm not even sure where to begin! :)

Some of my favorites are:

"The Letters of Samuel Rutherford"
"Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices"- Brooks
"The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment"-Burroughs
"Mortification of Sin"-Owen
"The Godly Man's Picture"-Watson

Those should be good to start with... :)

I'm pulling the ones you've suggested out of the bookcase and stacking them beside me. They all look really good. I hope that a lot of people recommend the same book, so that my choice is obvious (I can be bad with decisions sometimes.)

I have read the Godly Man's Picture.

I don't see the Symington one, but the name sounds familiar, so it might be hiding around here somewhere.

Keep the recommendations coming! If you want to add *why* you're recommending a particular book, that would be helpful.

Anything by Burroughs. Anything by Watson (his Ten Commandments was awesome! Rocked my world) and Pilgrim's Progress.

There are so many great works by the Puritans, that it's difficult to just pick one. Maybe it would be good to find a topic you'd like to read about.
In regard to sin, I would agree that Owen's "Mortification of Sin" is a must read. This is one Puritan work that really had a huge effect on me.
Another book that has a special place in my heart is Jeremiah Burroughs' "Rare Jewel Of Christian Contentment" (which was listed above). There was a time when I would frequently find myself depressed and frustrated with my life. Burroughs convinced me otherwise. Also check out Robert Asty's "Rejoicing in the Lord Jesus in All Cases and Conditions" on the same subject. Also see William Bridge's "A Lifting Up for the Downcast".
A really good book on meditation is Thomas Watson's "Christian On The Mount".
On a right view of the law, Samuel Bolton's "True Bounds of Christian Freedom" is great.

Anyway, I guess I could go on forever. But you have quite a wonderful list of books there to choose from. Even Beeke, who you listed with your Puritans. I guess he's our modern day Puritan. A wonderful author. You can't go wrong there, in my opinion.

:)

The first book that I read when I became a Christian was "Heaven Taken By Storm" by Watson. I love Watson. He could illustrate a point using ANYTHING!

I would also recommend 'Come And Welcome to Jesus Christ' by Bunyan. What a wonderful book.

The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall

The encouragement in one paragraph will keep you for days, and if you were to read each day as a devotional,
you would be likened to a garrison ready for the battle contra mundum.
Cowards never won heaven. Do not claim that you are begotten
of God and have His royal blood running in your veins unless you
can prove your lineage by this heroic spirit: to dare to be holy in
spite of men and devils.

Trial and Triumph of Faith by Samuel Rutherford.

...Christ will be in thy heart and mind enabling you to walk gracefully!

The Victory of Faith;
The condition of those that are tempted;
The excellency of Jesus Christ and Free-Grace;

AND
Some speciall Grounds and Principles of Libertinisme
and Antinomian Errors, discovered

These are not quite "Puritan" but very influential on them:

The condensed version of Mr. Calvin's Institutes:
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion [Abridged softcover edition convenient for reading]

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=TH&idProduct=INS02BP

and the classic two volume set:
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion [classic, 2 volume edition for study and reference]

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=TH&idProduct=INS04BH

The former is a way of taking a "baby step" into the reformed theology and world view of the Puritans, especially for those new to it.

Sharon, I think it was Owen who said it was better to read just a couple of books and really understand them than to read lots just for the sake of reading lots. So, for my two cents, pick any of those mentioned (as you hoped for, mentioned multiple times) and take your time and read it with understanding. If you only get through a couple pages a day, that's not only fine but really good.

There are so many great works by the Puritans, that it's difficult to just pick one....I guess I could go on forever...:)
Oh boy, Sharon, there are so many good ones I'm not even sure where to begin! :)

Y'all are not helping here!!! Let me clarify that I am pretty indecisive...what I was kind of hoping was that everyone would say "Oh, clearly, you must start with X." I'd like to spend less time deciding and more time reading. :)

The condensed version of Mr. Calvin's Institutes...and the classic two volume set...

The former is a way of taking a "baby step" into the reformed theology and world view of the Puritans, especially for those new to it.

Well, I'm definitely not new to reformed theology, so I'm ready to dive right in--no baby steps needed. :) My brother also recommended the Institutes.

My Dad recommended something called "A Return to Prayers" by Thomas Goodwin. He took that one with him when he went abroad but he thinks I can find it online.

I second the motion of Burrough's Gospel Worship. If our chief end of man is to glorify God and a big part of that glorification is through worship, then I truly believe the understanding of proper worship is a must for every Christian.

Are there any Puritan authors who can get to the point? Although brilliant, the ones I have tried to read never seem to say in 5 pages what they can spend 50 pages on. They belabor each point to death such that it become a real chore slogging through the work. I tend to like the authors who can say the most in the least amount of words, I think it's the real hallmark of a fine writer.

If you do not like long winded confusing writing, avoid Durham. Chris did a good job trying to outline Durham's writings to make it a little easier to follow, but even with that I have to reread sections quite frequently.

Two books I would recommend first off are the Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher. It is one of the best. And any edited version of John Owen on Motification and sin.

If your Dad has anything by William Symington like Messiah the Prince or on the Atonement I recommend them also.

Oh yeah, I forgot one. Jeremiah Borroughs on Gospel Woship. It is significantly very important.

That sounds close to the conversation we had yesterday. :lol:

I guess when they're good they're good.

Are there any Puritan authors who can get to the point? Although brilliant, the ones I have tried to read never seem to say in 5 pages what they can spend 50 pages on. They belabor each point to death such that it become a real chore slogging through the work. I tend to like the authors who can say the most in the least amount of words, I think it's the real hallmark of a fine writer.

typical American.... standing in front of the microwave, yelling, 'hurry up!' :lol:

Okay Sharon. Then I would say read "Mortification of Sin" by Owen. There, it's done. I chose one book.

One of the most blessed reads I have ever had, in a book that was not the Bible, was from this one by John Owen.

typical American.... standing in front of the microwave, yelling, 'hurry up!' :lol:

Nahhh, we just prefer an author who isn't paid by the word. If Moses could cover the entire creation of everything in 31 verses, I don't think that's too much to ask. :D

That sounds close to the conversation we had yesterday. :lol:

I guess when they're good they're good.

Yes, I repeat myself quite a bit. BTW, it was truly a blessing getting to meet you Mike. I look forward to spending more time with you in the Future. I also have some sermons by Dr. Blackwood doing a talk on God's Kingdom at War along with Derek Thomas that are along the same lines of teaching. I will make you a copy.

I was at an ACE conference several years ago in Phoenix, and they had a panel Q&A session with Ferguson, Horton, Bridges and (I believe) Ryken. One of the questions was "If you could recommend one book for everyone in attendance to read this year, what would it be?"

Three out of four of them said Watson's Body of Divinity. I thought that was a pretty compelling endorsement.

Not all of the Puritans were great writers with regard to style, but I don't understand the idea that they didn't come to the point. Yes, they explore in detail, but most of the time each line adds something to what went before. That is getting to the point; saying the same thing nine different ways, like some writers do, is not.
And along those lines, I actually find Durham to be one of the least involved of writers - he moves straightforwardly and quickly from point to point, taking you along through easy steps the entire way.

Sharon, you can start a poll if you'd like. Backwoods Presbyterian often does a poll and asks the Puritan Board what he should read next. Maybe you can do that as well. :) Btw, Thomas Watson was the first Puritan that I read as well and it was through his work that my love for the Puritans grew! He is by far one of my favorites to read!

I would recommend Thomas Watson's Body of Divinity. He says in 5 or 6 (per section) what many others cannot say in 100 pages. :)

Here's where I'd start:

1) Memoir & Remains of Robert Murray M'Cheyne, Andrew Bonar
2) The Letters of Samuel Rutherford, Samuel Rutherford
3) An Exposition of the Shorter Catechism, James Fisher
4) The Christian's Reasonable Service, Wilhelmus à Brakel
5) A Body of Divinity, James Ussher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back