Reading the Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan N

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi there, wondering your thoughts on the reading different passages other than Exod 20, Deut 5 for the reading of the of the law on Sun mornings? I was recently in a PCA church that read 1 Cor 13 and was told many other passages are often read. By his grace, dan

I’m not in the tradition, but I see the liturgies of the Dutch churches as a weakness.

I love liturgies, and believe in their use. But to have the constraints that the Dutch have—and have had for centuries—I don’t think it’s the best method.

The 10C summarize in the moral law quite effectively. According to Christ it may be summarized even more concisely, and St.Paul reduces the sum to the single word: love.

There are other summary-expressions of the moral law; 1Tim.1:9-10 comes to mind. There are also many texts that single out one area of the law, or more generally condemn sin for what it is, and any sinner who might think to stand on his own merit.

I should think a pastor preparing a worship service might have reason to employ the complete summary, or some more concise reference to the law in that use for which it is eminently given, even the conviction of sin. Sometimes regularity or consistency is a boon; other times it can be too monotonous. It seems wise to consult with the rest of the church governors (elders) if some shift is made from a standard practice.

The strength of sin is the law (1Cor.15:56), any part of it, and to break it at one point is to be guilty of all, Jas.2:10. The fullness of Scripture contains the will of God to remind men of their duty, so any such portion is suited in some measure to the task. Likewise, there is good news of grace found throughout the Bible so we might have always nearby access to hope.

Dan,
Do you have an element in your service that is a more general Scripture reading? That is what we do - we read consecutively through books of the Biible (now in Matthew) and do not have a specific "reading of the Law."

Hi there, wondering your thoughts on the reading different passages other than Exod 20, Deut 5 for the reading of the of the law on Sun mornings? I was recently in a PCA church that read 1 Cor 13 and was told many other passages are often read. By his grace, dan
Dan,
A more fundamental question is, Do the scriptures require a specific 'reading of the Law,' distinct from ordinary Scripture reading? I understand that men have made that practice a norm in certain church circles, but we shouldn't equate the tradition of the elders with the prescription of God.

The 10C summarize in the moral law quite effectively. According to Christ it may be summarized even more concisely, and St.Paul reduces the sum to the single word: love.

There are other summary-expressions of the moral law; 1Tim.1:9-10 comes to mind. There are also many texts that single out one area of the law, or more generally condemn sin for what it is, and any sinner who might think to stand on his own merit.

I should think a pastor preparing a worship service might have reason to employ the complete summary, or some more concise reference to the law in that use for which it is eminently given, even the conviction of sin. Sometimes regularity or consistency is a boon; other times it can be too monotonous. It seems wise to consult with the rest of the church governors (elders) if some shift is made from a standard practice.

The strength of sin is the law (1Cor.15:56), any part of it, and to break it at one point is to be guilty of all, Jas.2:10. The fullness of Scripture contains the will of God to remind men of their duty, so any such portion is suited in some measure to the task. Likewise, there is good news of grace found throughout the Bible so we might have always nearby access to hope.
The strength of sin is the law (1Cor.15:56), any part of it, and to break it at one point is to be guilty of all,

I never noticed that verse before. Something to really think about.

At my church - and we explain this in the service - we acknowledge the biblical categories of Law and Gospel. Simply put, Law is anything God commands, and Gospel is what God has done for us.

So in light of this understanding, we declare God’s Law by reading a passage of Law (any passage from either the Old or New Testaments) in which we are commanded to do/be or not do/be something. Then our prayer of confession is tailored to that particular piece of Law. Then as we proclaim the Good News of the Gospel, we read any passage - from Old or New Testaments - that speaks to God’s forgiveness to us.

That’s what we do. And I like what we do.

The gospel is given first just about every week for us: God has redeemed you with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, therefore you have been made to have no other God ....

For us it's,

1. Call to worship (usually a passage from the Psalms)

2. Call to confession (OT or NT passage containing a command or prohibition)

3. Confession of sin (reading of a historic confession corporately, then a few moments of silent confession)

4. Announcement of forgiveness (passage proclaiming God's grace toward sinners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back