Reading the Bible in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the NKJV in six months this year. This cemented this Bible as my favorite literal translation.

For 2021 I’m doing the One Year Bible plan, and trying again to do the KJV. I tried the KJV a couple years ago and did not get through the spring. I got a jump on it in case certain sections allow me down.

I did the NKJV in six months this year. This cemented this Bible as my favorite literal translation.

I used the NKJV extensively this year for the first time and it became a favorite of mine as well. I switched off it for my Bible plan about half way through the year in favor of the KJV, but I still read it regularly and use it as my go-to with my kids.

If you give the KJV a go again this year consider using the SwordSearcher software. It's reasonably priced and is a ton of fun!

I already read Genesis until Revelations and this year I used M'Cheyne, but not liked neither plan. I like read the both testament simultaneously with gospels intercalateds and like read psalms like a devotional. Then i created my own bible plan. One devotional read after wake up, one morning read with old testament and a evening read with new testament intercalating gospel and letters. In this plan i'll read one time the old testament, twice psalms and proverbs and twice new testament.

I used the NKJV extensively this year for the first time and it became a favorite of mine as well. I switched off it for my Bible plan about half way through the year in favor of the KJV, but I still read it regularly and use it as my go-to with my kids.

If you give the KJV a go again this year consider using the SwordSearcher software. It's reasonably priced and is a ton of fun!
I’m using the YouVersion app and a CBP Turquoise I bought a couple months ago. So far so good, maybe I’ll finish early.

CBP Turquoise I bought a couple months ago.

Kind of off-topic for the thread, but which cover did you choose for your CBP Turquoise? Those platinum series leathers are beautiful! I have a black licorice Thompson Chain that I love. My favorite KJV though is the one I recently received for my 15th wedding anniversary...a black highland goatskin speckled paged RL Allan Longprimer with the Oxford Concordance. Amazing Bible!

Kind of off-topic for the thread, but which cover did you choose for your CBP Turquoise? Those platinum series leathers are beautiful! I have a black licorice Thompson Chain that I love. My favorite KJV though is the one I recently received for my 15th wedding anniversary...a black highland goatskin speckled paged RL Allan Longprimer with the Oxford Concordance. Amazing Bible!
I got your basic blue ironed calfskin. it’s more a grayish blue than a navy which was a nice surprise. Yours both sound great!

I'll be adding in Carson's companion, For the Love of God, as suggested.

Looking forward to it!

You are consistent.. I see similar threads popping up below this of back to 2007 at least!

I will continue reading using a modified version of Professor Horner's plan, as I've done off and on for over a decade (though on daily for at least 3 years straight now). I read 5-10 chapters a day out of different books, and keep track in a spreadsheet instead of with bookmarks. I like keeping a diversity of parts of redemptive history in view at one time.

One disadvantage of Horner's plan is that it doesn't get you through the entire Bible in one year if you follow it exactly, though I usually do the way I use it. While the unmodified plan puts you at 10 chapters a day, you end up reading less of the Bible in a year than most Christians set out to. How do you figure that? :)

I do a modified Horner Plan as well.

My section breakdowns are:
  • Pentateuch (Gen. - Deut.)
  • History (Josh. - Esth.)
  • Poetry and Wisdom (Job - Song of Sol.)
  • Psalms
  • Prophetic (Is. - Mal.)
  • Gospels and Acts (Mt. - Acts)
  • Epistles (Ro. - Rev.)
On a good day I read at least a chapter from each section. But what I like about the Horner "plan" is that I'm not technically locked in to a specific schedule. Some days I might only get two or three chapters in. And that's fine. Even with that, I managed to read the entire Bible this year. I really enjoy the flexibility. My wife follows the M'Cheyne plan, and at times I'm able to track her readings as well. I have bookmarks in my Reformation Heritage bible in each section, but also track on my phone via the track.bible app which allows me to switch between bibles and still keep track of where I'm at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back