Reading suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay

Puritan Board Freshman
Can somebody suggest some good books
Topics are " God's Love"
Another topic is "How to be well grounded in faith".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God's Love:
The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson is very good. I also read a chapter of God Is Love: A Biblical and Systematic Theology by Gerald Bray for a class. What I read was excellent, so I'd have high expectations for the whole volume. A warning though: Dr. Bray's book in the version I found on Amazon from a quick search had an image of Christ on the cover. I hadn't seen this in the format I read some of his book before. Dr. Bray is Anglican but quite Reformed in his perspective, so I'd doubt this would affect the quality of his book. He currently teaches at Knox Theological Seminary.

If you're looking specifically from a Reformed perspective on the passage of God's love for the world in light of limited atonement, A.W. Pink has an appendix on this in his the Sovereignty of God.

Regarding being well grounded in the faith, I'm not sure quite what you're asking here, but this Puritan work comes to mind:
The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes

For "Being Well Grounded in Faith:"
I love to read and grow through reading Thomas Watson. He seems to pack a sermon into every sentence. Sometimes you have to go slow to comprehend what he is trying to say, but it is worth it. Not to mention, you don't have any deadline on when to get a book finished by, right?

For being well-grounded, I would recommend Watson's "Godly Man's Picture." It is a devotional type of book that goes through the characteristics of what a Godly man should have. I also like "All Things for Good" by Watson. It is a discourse on Romans 8:28, and can help you to trust in God no matter what is going on.

I like Watson because he quotes a LOT of Scripture. This can point you to where to dig into the Bible on what he writes about and check it out for yourself. Plus it gives what he is saying some weight... why should we believe it if he can't back it up with Scripture?

Happy Reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back