Read the Confessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenson, I get the idea you're fishing for something here. Stop beating about the bush. Say what's on your mind. What is it you really want to know? :detective:

If one attends services for this reason in unrepentance, then I would say it is unusual for a Christian who believes in the confessions, yes.

Jenson, stop trying to get me kicked off the PB!

:D:lol::D:lol:

kidding...

Are you asking about whether a worldly lifestyle can be reconciled with subscription to a confession, or whether a worldly lifestyle can be reconciled with membership of this board (which in turn requires subscription to a confession) ??

JH

Thanks for chiming in Jonathan, I was wondering if he was describing you. I figured because you both live in England that you must know each other. :p (I'm kidding!)

Sanctification is progressive, so if I don't want to get kicked off, I'm obligated to say yes they can, or reveal that I'm really a lurking perfectionist!:bigsmile::banana::bigsmile:

Originally posted by jenson75

However, I noticed (as many others would) that the newer publications and churches seemed to "break" with the spirituality of the creeds and confessions of days gone by. Hence I gave examples of SOME of the (apparently legitimate) "activities" that are allowed in churches and on the PB.

Nothing else for me to add, just an observation and a query about the need to subscribe to the WCF or BCF in this board...

Could you be more specific? What activities are you refering to on the PB?

I agree with you assessment that some of Reformed spirituality today is waining into a dead orthodoxy, though I'm not sure they are completely dead yet. I think it is because we have lost our heritage, particularly the Puritan heritage of experimentally applying the truths of God to daily living (and which I think the PB is also trying to recapture). I think that the renewed interest in Puritan literature today among Reformed folk is providing some renewal in this area. I think we won't understand the full effects of it til later though.

[Edited on 5-24-2005 by puritansailor]

I agree with you assessment that some of Reformed spirituality today is waining into a dead orthodoxy, though I'm not sure they are completely dead yet. I think it is because we have lost our heritage, particularly the Puritan heritage of experimentally applying the truths of God to daily living (and which I think the PB is also trying to recapture). I think that the renewed interest in Puritan literature today among Reformed folk is providing some renewal in this area. I think we won't understand the full effects of it til later though.

I agree with you, Patrick. I think also that this decline in spirituality is due to a lack of meditation, contemplation, thinking on the truths of Scripture, so that they are made alive in the affections of the believer by the Spirit of God.

And communion with the God. I once heard a man say, "communion is what sweetens the doctrines to our souls". For many, Christ is merely a doctrine. Thus, it becomes easy to hide the desires of hell behind a pious form. I have found this to be the case in reformed and non-reformed churches alike, even in my own life. Anyone can regulate what they do, not so easy to regulate what you love.

Greetings to Jenson and Jonathan, my old Tabernacle buddies.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Peters]

Originally posted by Peters
I agree with you, Patrick. I think also that this decline in spirituality is due to a lack of meditation, contemplation, thinking on the truths of Scripture, so that they are made alive in the affections of the believer by the Spirit of God.
Very true. The Puritans wer emasters of this. I fail at this every day.... Oh for more grace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back