Re-reading John Owen volume 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I thought that I was forever done reading John Owen (a foolish notion, if ever there was one), but I am having to re-read volume 10, and especially A Display of Arminianism and The Death of Death, as background reading for a review. Has anyone else read or dipped into volume 10 recently?

I first read volume 10 back in 2002. From what I recall, A Display of Arminianism and A Dissertation on Divine Justice were reasonably easy to follow, while The Death of Death was way over my head at the time. Hopefully, I can read it with a bit more understanding nowadays.

I finished A display of Arminianism earlier today. John Owen really goes hard after the Arminians for the impact of their notions on theology proper and original sin. This book has all the passion of a first-time author. While it is probably best to read Owen at his most mature, his early work should not be entirely neglected.

I finished rereading The death of death earlier today. Stylistically, it is not as hard to read as I remembered. That being said, it does seem pretty clear to me now that unless you have several years of reading Reformed theology under your belt, much of it will be over your head. So, it is not a book for beginners. I thought that the treatment of limited atonement in relation to the covenant of grace was outstanding.

I finished rereading The death of death earlier today. Stylistically, it is not as hard to read as I remembered. That being said, it does seem pretty clear to me now that unless you have several years of reading Reformed theology under your belt, much of it will be over your head. So, it is not a book for beginners. I thought that the treatment of limited atonement in relation to the covenant of grace was outstanding.
I remember trying to read that a few years ago, and you are right, back then it went way over my head. I should make it a priority to give it another shot.

Thank you for the encouragement that this can be done. 5 hardcovers and a few complete downloads off the web sit there waiting for another round of failure to perform a close reading. :(

Years ago a friend told me that the Ladies Bible Study at his Reformed Baptist church was reading “The Death of Death.....”. I was impressed and not a little envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back