Re-introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Hi all -

IT's been a long time since I've posted anything here, so many of you may have lost memories of me (and others perhaps haven't seen me since the old crta-l days!) but here i am.

I am a professor of Physics at Luther College in Decorah, IA, having come here in the fall of 2003 after doing post-doctoral work at Cornell University in New York, and graduate work for my PhD at Northwestern University.

I am an avid reader of Puritan and Reformed literature, and have a wife who continually worries about me dropping my career and heading off to Greenville... :)

My recent (post-college and upbringing, in which times I was Lutheran) background is in the PCA - 11 years, split into two: 7 years in the Chicago area, and 4 in Ithaca, NY, where I served as a Ruling Elder the last two years. My heart is still in the conservative Presbyterian fold, though we are in a wasteland of such churches in Northeast Iowa.

We have just joined a Congregational church in a neighboring town - the denomination they are part of is the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference, in which we are blessed with a solid, Reformed pastor, and elders who lead the flock in integrity. I'd rather we were part of a confessionally Reformed church - we could be, if we'd drive 2 hours, but with three small children (Abigail, 4.5; Sarah, 2.5; and Rebekah, 7 weeks, baptized this past Lord's Day) it's far from feasible. That being said, our church and denomination function very much as the New England congregational churches did... still would rather it were truly presbyterian.

Anyway that's really far more than enough. See you on board.

Todd

[Edited on 7-13-2005 by toddpedlar]

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Welcome to the board, sir. Does your church use the Savoy Declaration?
Oh how wonderful it would be if we did! I should explain that our church came out of the UCC in the late 90's, and is en route to reform... the Savoy is not officially confessed by our session. That being said, I hope to help us in that direction. The denomination uses it in many of its congregations, just not this one (yet, DV). I hope to teach a course on it sometime within a year or so. The pastor is fully "there", though, doctrinally speaking with the Savoy/Westminster.

Peccant

Puritan Board Freshman
Wow Prof. of Physics...:scholar:

Welcome and greetings Prof.

Stay as "babes.." do! - Don't be,.. "wise and prudent.";);)

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Originally posted by Peccant
Wow Prof. of Physics...:scholar:

Welcome and greetings Prof.

Stay as "babes.." do! - Don't be,.. "wise and prudent.";);)
Yes, a prof. of physics, but don't let that throw you (I'm sure you won't) - I'm simply a sinner saved by grace like the rest :) As I've joked with my Christian physics friends, take care that your knowledge of the Law (of partial pressures) doesn't puff you up!

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.