Rap about the RPW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I just saw this on youtube and really liked it. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;D_6kn28-UiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_6kn28-UiY&feature=player_embedded#at=470[/video]

Doesn't the regulative principal exclude the use of musical instruments? Rap music is the music of criminals and the beat is jungle and reminiscent of paganism, why have the church imitate such nonsense in worship? Let's get our guitars, leather and hair spray out while we're at it. I loved heavy metal when I was a lost, wayward teenager, but put it away when I became saved because I knew what it was, satanic.

Doesn't the regulative principal exclude the use of musical instruments? Rap music is the music of criminals and the beat is jungle and reminiscent of paganism, why have the church imitate such nonsense in worship? Let's get our guitars, leather and hair spray out while we're at it. I loved heavy metal when I was a lost, wayward teenager, but put it away when I became saved because I knew what it was, satanic.

Apart from the obvious logical leaps inherent in your argument. No one has suggested rap as music for worship here.

The use of musical instruments in worship depends upon whether said instruments are an element or circumstance of worship.

And the beats used in rap are indeed descended culturally from African folk music . . . by way of the Negro Spiritual, Jazz, R&B, Blues, and Soul. One can also link that genealogy with Bluegrass, which is derived from it and Irish folk music.

Rap music is the music of criminals and the beat is jungle and reminiscent of paganism

And this comment is the comment of racism and it's beat is ignorance and judgmentalism.
Seriously, don't bring this kind of garbage thinking on the board. And, For what it's worth, I'm not even a fan of rap and I didn't care for the video.

Apart from the obvious logical leaps inherent in your argument. No one has suggested rap as music for worship here.

The use of musical instruments in worship depends upon whether said instruments are an element or circumstance of worship.

And the beats used in rap are indeed descended culturally from African folk music . . . by way of the Negro Spiritual, Jazz, R&B, Blues, and Soul. One can also link that genealogy with Bluegrass, which is derived from it and Irish folk music.

What then was the purpose of the post? Was it not to show that this music is acceptable and in some way redeemable because the person is rapping something Biblical? Does that in some way, sanctifying the musical style? I'd rather keep my children from it and the culture it spons. Just like tattoos, just because you have a cross on your arm doesn't make it right.

Btw, rap is entering the reformed churches as I've seen John Piper have rappers perform in his church (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xyaUnkkZg). We are supposed to be a separated people, not like the RCC who think they can change the names (rap/praise) and now it's all right. If you wanna endorse and listen to this on your own time, that's your business, but it is coming into the churches and gatherings of our people and it should have no place.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Well your opinion shows that you did not listen to the video. Some of the lyrics stated rap was not to be used in worship. He was using rap as a form of artistry.

The purpose of the post was to post an interesting video. I am not a big fan of rap, but I found the video fun. It had nothing to do with promoting any form of music in worship. It was simply entertainment.

Also Piper is not reformed.

Also I agree with Andrew, your statements were racist garbage.

Rap music is the music of criminals and the beat is jungle and reminiscent of paganism

And this comment is the comment of racism and it's beat is ignorance and judgmentalism.
Seriously, don't bring this kind of garbage thinking on the board. And, For what it's worth, I'm not even a fan of rap and I didn't care for the video.

For one, I'm not a racist and I equally hate heavy metal and pop. Furthermore, my personal doctor is black, my dentist is black, my pediatrician is black and I like them all. And I have a choice in who to go to. It's not racist to point out the truth as to the origins of the beat. Truth is truth, it's not racist. Just like heavy metal was sponed from the culture of sex and drugs and is also pagan. So let's not go straight to racism. As far as judgemental, are we ALL to judge the good from the bad?

Also Piper is not reformed

Piper is not reformed? I know he is a little unorthodox, but I would still consider him reformed in a Baptist sense.

Just because you know some black people does not mean that you are not a racist. The fact that you equate rap to the jungle is proof that your comment was racist.

Rap did not originate with criminals. It originated from African storytellers. Hip Hop in general originated from block parties which were ways for poor families who could not afford their own record players to come together and enjoy music. In order to make the songs longer, DJs began to mix records thus doubling the length of the song.

If you think that if criminals listen to a certain style of music thus making it the music of criminals, then we must conclude that classical music is the music of criminals. Most white collar crimes are going to be committed by rich people who typically drink wine and listen to classical music. Is classical music sinful?

Seriously you are making serious logical leaps.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Piper is not reformed? I know he is a little unorthodox, but I would still consider him reformed in a Baptist sense.

He is not confessional and he is not covenantal. That is why I say he is not reformed. He is good, but not reformed.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

He is not confessional and he is not covenantal. That is why I say he is not reformed. He is good, but not reformed.[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but would you concede that it is possible to be reformed and Baptist? Because in a technical sense, you cannot fully hold to covenant theology unless you practice paedobaptism.

For one, I'm not a racist and I equally hate heavy metal and pop. Furthermore, my personal doctor is black, my dentist is black, my pediatrician is black and I like them all. And I have a choice in who to go to. It's not racist to point out the truth as to the origins of the beat. Truth is truth, it's not racist. Just like heavy metal was sponed from the culture of sex and drugs and is also pagan. So let's not go straight to racism. As far as judgemental, are we ALL to judge the good from the bad?

For one, I never called you a racist. I called you out on your racist comments. I don't know you at all, therefore I don't know if you're racist or not, but that's beside the point. You did, however, make what I deem a racist comment. Let's not beat around the bush here...it's common knowledge that rap/hip-hop originated in predominantly African-American cultures and it's still championed by predominantly African-American cultures. You, me, and anyone else who's not naive, will admit this. Therefore to say "Rap music is the music of criminals and the beat is jungle" is a direct dig at blacks. What if you go to your doctor/dentist/pediatrician's office and he/she has Christian rap playing in the waiting room? Will you tell them you are going to be finding another doctor because they are a criminal and you don't care for their jungle music? If you do, I actually would imagine they wouldn't mind seeing you leave because I certainly would have a hard time serving someone who is foolish enough to make comments like that.

[/COLOR]

He is not confessional and he is not covenantal. That is why I say he is not reformed. He is good, but not reformed.

I see your point, but would you concede that it is possible to be reformed and Baptist? Because in a technical sense, you cannot fully hold to covenant theology unless you practice paedobaptism.[/QUOTE]

There are numerous Baptists on this board who fully hold to covenant theology and are confessional. Thus they are Reformed Baptists and not merely calling themselves that because it is the cool thing to do.

He actually addresses that in the video if you watch more than half of it. He explains the song isn't for worship--he clearly takes the position of non-instrumental exclusive psalmody for worship. He says the song (and Third Day, etc.) are for outside of worship.

:MOD WARNING:

Let's try to get back on track discussing the video. The video singer addresses most of the issues brought up in this thread. Let's also steer clear of the issue of racism.

:judge:

Okay, now that I've heard all your excuses for the origins and nature of rap music, are you prepared to justify heavy metal music in a similar manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back