Race and Reformed: Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrese

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi Friends,

Sorry for starting a new thread on this but the original thread was either closed or restricted. Anyways, I wanted to respond to Rom's post which I'll share here:

"...my first commitment in finding a church is to find one that Glorifies our God, is Scriptural and aligns with my convictions.

Also, I have never felt uncomfortable being around God's People - even if I am the only minority. We share a bond far greater than the color of our skin, or even the language that we might speak. If joining a Reformed Church, the members of that church will be taking vows towards your children in covenant as you become members. This is a beautiful lesson to our children that though we might not look like each other, the people of God are bound to each other in covenant due to Christ's work for His Church. Even if our brothers and sisters in Christ are not of our same race. A beautiful testament to God's saving work, to both the Jew and Gentile. This is the same testimony that your family already shares, is it not?

Now, if there is a Reformed Church in NJ that is sinning against people of color, but claims to hold to our form of doctrine, then certainly there is something rotten in it and its leadership should come under discipline.

But usually, there is no such issue and yet a congregation may very well be mono-ethnic. For a variety of reasons - Reformed theology in America is now only making inroads into minority communities, so be patient. In a lot of ways, it is only now making its way into many white communities as well

And certainly, this issue will never change if every person of color decided that they needed to find a different church that was already diverse. I'm not sure how diversity is achieved if no one of color is willing to be joined to that church.

Sometimes we need to serve in this way so that others of color will feel comfortable joining. Your family being there will only make it that much easier for the next person of color who walks through the doors of that church."

First let me say that there's a lot of good stuff here; in fact it's excellent. But the problem is that it is only the right answer to a real problem; that's it. Basically Rom knows the right answer. Here's the thing, so do I. But sadly the 'right answer' is not what it's like for many people in majority white Churches. Obviously there's some exceptions, but aren't there always? Rom, you said, "Now, if there is a Reformed Church in NJ that is sinning against people of color, but claims to hold to our form of doctrine, then certainly there is something rotten in it and its leadership should come under discipline." That's interesting and I definitely agree with you here, but does it really have to go this far? I'm not sure what anyone else's experience has been but I've been to several white Churches and it's been the same in everyone of them. Simply put, people aren't interested. We spend all of our time trying to adjust to the culture, and let me tell ya, it's tiring. It's disheartening when you've been in a Church trying to make connections with people, only to see new people of the same color come in and blossom as if they've been apart of your Church for years.

Let's be honest here, culture means something. It's not just something we can turn off and turn on. Rom, you also wrote, "Your family being there will only make it that much easier for the next person of color who walks through the doors of that church." I so wish this was true. But again, it sounds good, and it's right teaching, but it just doesn't play out like this in real life. From my experience, here's what happens: The the white members hang out with the white ones, and the black ones kick it with the black ones. And eventually the black ones leave. I cant speak for every Church, but this has been my experience since I've been Reformed. I've been going at this for about ten years now. This is reality, especially when your married to a person of the same color and race as you are. Now I realize this is controversial, and some people may not like it, but it's important. I don't want this to be a debate, but only a honest back and forth with brother Rom.

Thanks

Last edited:
Below is what I intended to post in that forum

Hi sister

I am my wife became reformed about 6 years ago. At that time, we were attending a church that we believed to be reformed. However, after some years, we realised that the church was part of the new Calvinist movement. So we decided to look for another church. God brought us to this new fellowship that very reformed. We are the only black family in this church and we have been welcomed with open arms, to the extent that I am in the process of being made a deacon. I do not know the situation in America, but there is not much black people in reformed churches here in England, the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London is an exception.

Please find a church that is truly reformed in doctrine, because I can guarantee you that race will not be a problem. May The Lord be with you.

“Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” Rev. 5:9-10

It’s hard to imagine a time that in which you are not placed. From the American aspect of the 21st century, you can rightly say there are “race” issues. Our context, as Americans, is drawn from a background of people who held slaves of a different race. This wasn’t the same kind of slavery that we can find within scripture (Ex. 25; Lev. 21) (although there were invaders who took Jews and others into captivity for similar reasons). We also know that many justified American slavery within their blasphemous ideas of scripture.

With this in mind, our context is quite different then others in the world. We fought in the Civil War, we fought injustices with the Jim Crow laws, and we fought for equal rights in the Civil Rights movements. All of these issues are based upon skin color and not on the person himself. We have a background filled with horrible stories from America’s past, yet the church of Christ is not limited by these boundaries. The church of Christ holds no distinction between people of different ethnicities for “there is neither Jew nor Greek…for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Gal. 3:28). I think this is important to understand. I believe Rom is in the right (whether practical or theoretical) to say that there is something wrong with the leadership and the flock if they do not except the Christian because of their color. We are Christians first and Christians always.

I’m neither dumb nor blind, for I know that these things continue on today. There is a distinction made with people based on skin. Yet, as the covenant people of God, we have no boundaries of race, for we are the “chosen race” (1 Pet. 2:9).

Racism and prejudices are an evil perversion of the human heart.

The lack of acceptance is not based upon what Christianity is but rather on the sinful man. If this cannot be understood by all people within the church, then sin has in fact taken hold of their hearts. We are called to obey Christ and not the flesh for Paul tells us to not let “sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions” (Rom. 6). When we split the unity of the body, we split Christ. When we split the body, we let sin reign within ourselves.

Whether the practice of unity is done within a church or not, we must see that having a mind set on failed attempts of unity is not having the mind of Christ. Unity must be sought after, for these are our brothers and sisters.

If you go to a predominantly white church, and they look at you differently, I pray this doesn't discourage you from attending a church that preaches the Gospel. Not all churches are the same. Not all churches see a man as defined by his skin, but many see a man as defined in Christ.

Yes, there is a problem in some churches. Yes, we must address this problem. Yes, we must accept our brethren from every tribe, tongue, and nation. But no, we must not abandon these churches because they are sinners. If we did that, we wouldn't be in any church.

I hope this is coherent since I am quite tired. Thank you.

:up: to the above post. Some good and insightful points made. Looking forward to seeing some helpful responses, and hopefully the thread will not be restricted/closed as this is certainly an issue that should be discussed.

In Him,

Craig

In my OPC congregation there the majority is Caucasian, but there is a mix of ethnicities, and all are brothers and sisters in Christ.

Colossians 3:11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Hi Tyrese,
Thanks for interacting in an issue that is often the subject of much personal pain. It is clear that there has been sadness in your personal history. I will have to say that the experience you note is not entirely my own personal experience, nor as you mention in your post what it should be, Biblically speaking. Since it is not as it should be, then perhaps this is something that you can be a part of helping change.

My advice? First, make sure to petition the Lord. Pray that the Lord would have you form deep friendships with your brethren in the local body. Second, pray that the Lord would send more families and make the congregation more diverse. Do not give up on this prayer, pray it often, pray it daily, pray it more than daily. Remember our Lord's parables on persistent prayer.

Second, I would encourage you to discuss this issue with your elders, if you haven't already. Sometimes, they simply are not aware this is an issue. They are to care for you, and know you personally. If there is a feeling of lack of integration, please make sure that they are aware of it. Maybe they can join you in prayer, and maybe they can talk to other families in the church.

Usually, the problem is ignorance, and not malice. If a member of my congregation felt isolated, I can guarantee that my wife and I would be spending time with them, so that at the very least we would be their friends in the church. And I can speak for the other elders in my church in that as well.

Now, perhaps there's also a role you can have in breaking down these barriers. In the past, I've often had to exercise the ministry of hospitality in our home. Inviting the congregation over, helping create connections in our own home, sharing a meal, spending time with others. Sometimes we have to work a little harder, and if we do it in faith, in the hopes and prayer that the Lord would model His catholic body in the local body - the Lord will use us as an agent of change.

This is hard work, to be sure. But it is important work. It is God glorifying work. It is work that serves our neighbor, and future generations. It is work that helps preserve the local church, as we see the demographics in our country changing rapidly.

If others do not do the work, perhaps the Lord has called us to it.

My two cents, brother. You and your congregation will be in my prayers.

First let me say that there's a lot of good stuff here; in fact it's excellent. But the problem is that it is only the right answer to a real problem; that's it. Basically Rom knows the right answer. Here's the thing, so do I. But sadly the 'right answer' is not what it's like for many people in majority white Churches. Obviously there's some exceptions, but aren't there always? Rom, you said, "Now, if there is a Reformed Church in NJ that is sinning against people of color, but claims to hold to our form of doctrine, then certainly there is something rotten in it and its leadership should come under discipline." That's interesting and I definitely agree with you here, but does it really have to go this far? I'm not sure what anyone else's experience has been but I've been to several white Churches and it's been the same in everyone of them. Simply put, people aren't interested. We spend all of our time trying to adjust to the culture, and let me tell ya, it's tiring. It's disheartening when you've been in a Church trying to make connections with people, only to see new people of the same color come in and blossom as if they've been apart of your Church for years.

Let's be honest here, culture means something. It's not just something we can turn off and turn on. Rom, you also wrote, "Your family being there will only make it that much easier for the next person of color who walks through the doors of that church." I so wish this was true. But again, it sounds good, and it's right teaching, but it just doesn't play out like this in real life. From my experience, here's what happens: The the white members hang out with the white ones, and the black ones kick it with the black ones. And eventually the black ones leave. I cant speak for every Church, but this has been my experience since I've been Reformed. I've been going at this for about ten years now. This is reality, especially when your married to a person of the same color and race as you are. Now I realize this is controversial, and some people may not like it, but it's important. I don't want this to be a debate, but only a honest back and forth with brother Rom.
Thanks

Hi Tyrese,
Thanks for interacting in an issue that is often the subject of much personal pain. It is clear that there has been sadness in your personal history. I will have to say that the experience you note is not entirely my own personal experience, nor as you mention in your post what it should be, Biblically speaking. Since it is not as it should be, then perhaps this is something that you can be a part of helping change.

My advice? First, make sure to petition the Lord. Pray that the Lord would have you form deep friendships with your brethren in the local body. Second, pray that the Lord would send more families and make the congregation more diverse. Do not give up on this prayer, pray it often, pray it daily, pray it more than daily. Remember our Lord's parables on persistent prayer.

Second, I would encourage you to discuss this issue with your elders, if you haven't already. Sometimes, they simply are not aware this is an issue. They are to care for you, and know you personally. If there is a feeling of lack of integration, please make sure that they are aware of it. Maybe they can join you in prayer, and maybe they can talk to other families in the church.

Usually, the problem is ignorance, and not malice. If a member of my congregation felt isolated, I can guarantee that my wife and I would be spending time with them, so that at the very least we would be their friends in the church. And I can speak for the other elders in my church in that as well.

Now, perhaps there's also a role you can have in breaking down these barriers. In the past, I've often had to exercise the ministry of hospitality in our home. Inviting the congregation over, helping create connections in our own home, sharing a meal, spending time with others. Sometimes we have to work a little harder, and if we do it in faith, in the hopes and prayer that the Lord would model His catholic body in the local body - the Lord will use us as an agent of change.

This is hard work, to be sure. But it is important work. It is God glorifying work. It is work that serves our neighbor, and future generations. It is work that helps preserve the local church, as we see the demographics in our country changing rapidly.

If others do not do the work, perhaps the Lord has called us to it.

My two cents, brother. You and your congregation will be in my prayers.

Thanks
Hi Rom,

First, thanks for getting back to me. If you're like me, things can get really busy and you can't always get back to everyone. So thanks for the time you put into this.

I want to be clear here, I absolutely don't wanna be that guy who only comes out to talk about race. I agree with you, it's just not that big of a deal mainly because we are all brothers in Christ, no matter what your race or background is. My Church is majority white. If we cared that much we wouldn't be where we are. We love our Church and in many ways they love us.

As you suggested I've already spoken to my elders about this and I've been very open with the brethren in my Church. We've had some very good and edifying conversations that contribute to racial unity. We're very open and vocal about this. I don't want you to think I'm just boiling over and now I've just ticked.

However, what I've said above is very real. In fact, it's not just my own prospective. Whenever you have a few minorities in the Church you can bet on it that they discuss these sort of things among themselves. It's interesting to hear that there's agreement among blacks on this issue when spoken about. As I've said above, there's always that exception, but we should never build a case based on exceptions. Ask yourself this question: Should minorities (especially couples) feel that they need to work extra hard to feel excepted in their Church? My answer is no, but I'll let you answer that.

As I said before, your Biblical explanation is on point. I know that and you know that. Now, we should be trying to figure out why that's not being played out in many Churches. Have you noticed that blacks flock to the nearest 'Reformed Church' that's mostly black when one is finally planted in their neighborhood (especially in the cities). Why is that? I know there's a ton of answers to that question, but when I asked a few people the answer was always the same: 'I fit in culturally', or 'I feel accepted'.

I'm working hard at this and it sounds like you are; but in order to help people who feel this way we have to care about more than just the right answer.

Thanks Brother

Christians are Creationists therefore we should fundamentally change the way we view Black and White.
We are essentially all the same colour with different levels of melatonin which we inherit from our ancestors.
When the race card is pulled, we have an opportunity to use that argument as we are all from the same family.
"One Human Family" is a great book by Creation Ministries that deals directly with this issue.

Ask yourself this question: Should minorities (especially couples) feel that they need to work extra hard to feel excepted in their Church? My answer is no, but I'll let you answer that.

Brother, all I can tell you is that there are many things that should not be, and yet are. This is part of the consequence of the Fall of our race. And yet, we know that Christ is redeeming His Bride and His Spirit is active in her.

I had a discussion with one of the younger members of our congregation this previous Lord's Day - that Jesus works through means, and sometimes you and I are the means that He uses to build up His Bride.

If this race were easy, Paul would not have to give us exhortations to run it well, and to be diligent. We would not have to receive reminders to carry our cross, and to deny ourselves.

No, brother these things should not be, and yet these things are. Until we die, we will constantly run into issues in the Church. I am keenly aware that my presence in Christ's Church introduces my own particular faults into the body!

As I said before, your Biblical explanation is on point. I know that and you know that. Now, we should be trying to figure out why that's not being played out in many Churches. Have you noticed that blacks flock to the nearest 'Reformed Church' that's mostly black when one is finally planted in their neighborhood (especially in the cities). Why is that? I know there's a ton of answers to that question, but when I asked a few people the answer was always the same: 'I fit in culturally', or 'I feel accepted'.

We know that things are not as they are. Let's forget race for a moment. Why are there Presbyterians, Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Non-Denoms, etc.? Why are Confessional Presbyterian bodies an alphabet soup of various denominations? Because we are fallen human beings.

There are many ways in which our sin has done violence to Christ's Body, race is only one of them. I'd rather see everyone be part of a catholic (universal) Confessional Presbyterian Church. But for now, that is not yet to be. I remain optimistic however :)

I'm working hard at this and it sounds like you are; but in order to help people who feel this way we have to care about more than just the right answer.

I am so pleased that you are working hard at this. May God be glorified by your efforts! But as for the "right answer", I am not sure what we must do besides having the "right" answer, and then following it with "right action". Should we give in to despondency? By no means! We can only do what is before us, and acknowledge that such is God's Providence. And that it always is for the good of His Church, and for His glory.

We are a people of faith. If things are not as they ought to be, we lean upon God's Sovereignty, and ask the ways in which we might be used to accomplish His revealed will. See the Third petition of the Lord's Prayer.

Even if all of God's People abandon us, even as all of them abandoned Job - we know that our Redeemer Lives, and that He will never abandon us. This is where we put our hope, ultimately. Our hope is not in racial diversity, it is in Christ Jesus.

Let us also remember the exhortation in Hebrews 12. "14 - Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled"

We are given many exhortations such as this one. These exhortations are not easy, otherwise we would not need our Lord. They are hard, because with man these things are impossible, but with God all things are possible. It is impossible for what was split asunder in the Fall to be reconciled by any but our Lord.

I was reflecting upon this with a brother of mine a couple of years ago. We were talking about those saints who came before us that we admired. The great Missionaries of history, the Covenanters, the martyrs, etc. We admire them, and yet - when the Lord brings to us smaller challenges in our lives, we are the first to want to duck out, and complain at God's Providence.

We admire their steadfastness, and yet we are quickly brought down to despondency. It is an interesting phenomenon, for those of us who are exhorted by Paul to "imitate him, even as he imitates Christ".

Are these things easy? No. But they are great opportunities to grow in grace, and to grow nearer to our Lord - the source of our strength.

We must remind ourselves of what the Scriptures say to this end. Romans 5:
"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

We glory in tribulations, knowing that the outcome of this is perseverance, character and hope. How do we receive these challenges, brother? What is the growth of our character that these tribulations are to produce?

Your situation is different from mine. Mine is different from yours. Yet, one constant is that we both struggle, even in the church. With different issues, whatever the Lord has apportioned for our lives. I will not pretend to know your own personal struggles in this regard, and so my perspective has to be broad and based upon what the Word says is universal to all of our experiences. Just look at the precious Psalms of our Lord. Sing them, pray them and read them - and see how our experiences match.

Know that these things may not change in our own lifetimes, but perhaps for our children and our children's children we do the hard work anyway. Love of God and love of neighbor compels us. We often don't see the fruits of our labors in this life.

All of this (lengthy) message to say, "what is the alternative?" If you have an alternative course of action, I'm happy to hear it.

Finally, if you are ever have a reason to be in the DFW area, come visit on the Lord's Day, stay at our home - we'd love to have you with us. Speaking of which if you ever want to chat by phone and discuss these things, always feel free to PM me. I'm sure that we would be able to find ways to grow from each others' experiences, and what you have to share with me will be a blessing as well.

Peace.

I appreciate you posting this where it can get broader discussion. Although I would feel able to be more candid in the Coffee Shop than in General.

We spend all of our time trying to adjust to the culture, and let me tell ya, it's tiring.

Are you suggesting that the rest of the church should spend all of its time trying to adjust to your culture?

----

Our church has had two Black assistant pastors - one African-American, the current one not. But both have conformed to the dominant cultural style of the congregation when preaching.

And as far as visitors and new members fitting in, Presbyterians tend to have a disproportionate number of lawyers, doctors, accountants and executives. Lawyers, doctors, accountants and executives are probably going to assimilate more quickly, whatever their skin tone, than will those whose backgrounds differ. And it does take assimilation if you are going to fit in.

Rom, I would love to connect with you and talk. Let's connect brother.

Edward, I'm not sure why you misunderstood my post. It's rather simple, people should be trying to relate to everyone. It's simply wrong to demand that we abandon who we are completely to 'fit in'. A real friendship goes two ways, not just one. That's simply because it takes at least two people to form a friendship. If I'm associating with someone and they care nothing about my background (culture), likes, dislikes, spiritual condition, etc., than that person is clearly not interested in me. That's what I mean when I say it's tiring. I mean this applies to anyone.

These conversations should probably be had in person or over the phone. More often than not, what you say on the internet can be misunderstood and taken out of context.

I still remember my first days of knowing about reformed doctrine, that I used to be opposed to it because of what has occurred to people of African descent. I thank our Lord who brought me closed to a wonderful brother. (He has gone to be with the Lord) he explained the doctrine to me for almost 2 years. The understanding thoroughly came to me when I came to learn the doctrine of the sovereignty of God and the doctrine of the total depravity of man. The fact that what all humans deserve is hell and that any position we occupy in this world is far much better than we truly deserve. These two doctrines gave me the understanding that God is just and wonderful in His government of this universe, that He is all wise in how and where He places every human being.

Rom, I would love to connect with you and talk. Let's connect brother.
...These conversations should probably be had in person or over the phone. More often than not, what you say on the internet can be misunderstood and taken out of context.

Indeed. I'll PM you my contact info, brother.

There have been things done in the flesh that do not Glorify God. My own denomination had to repent from such and did even after it denounced slavery. It was actually the second denomination to renounce the slave trade in America. https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/negro-slavery-unjustifiable-rev-mcleod-1802/

I am fortunate. I wasn't raised in a manner that separated me from people according to skin color. In fact I was raised with an older guy named Jim Harris who was like a big brother to me. He was a top High School basketball player in the state of Indiana. My Dad was a sports fan. I grew up at the gyms where he played in mixed leagues. BTW, I wasn't raised in Church. I was led to Christ reading his word as I sought for answers after I was asked to join the KKK while I was in the Navy.

When I came home from the military I ended up working at a Christian bookstore for many years as I went to school. My experience there with other people of skin color shaded me a bit. Some of the people of the Social Gospel Black Church treated me with disdain and acted quite pompous as though I owed them because I was white. They were not shy about expressing their disdain as they accused me of being things that just weren't true. Most of them wouldn't even listen to my testimony about how I was raised and my rejection of groups that segregated based upon skin color. I even challenged one Pastor to quit his Social Justice rampage and to turn to the Gospel of Jesus Christ which he was supposedlly ordained to preach. I told him dealing with the sin issue would do more to heal the wounds than what he was doing. At the same time I also don't have much appreciation for certain cultures. And that does play into the equation also. Some people don't appreciate me as I am an old hippie flower power kind of guy. That scares some people that I have an appreciation for Rock and Roll guys like Pink Floyd or Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. And that is okay.

My Church has people of all color. Ram Roa is one of my Elders. He is from India. My Elder Donald Cassell is from Lyberia and is one of the most intelligent men I know. He is married to an Asian lady and their children are most beautiful. My Bible College President Charles Ware was one of my Elders at the Baptist Church I was a member of for 12 years. He is black as he can be and is married to one of the most godliest women. He does have a focus on Urban Ministry and has written on the topic. The RPCNA congregation I belong to is mixed in more than one way. It looks like heaven is going to look. All of the Nations will bow to the King of kings and Lord of lords. I wish that there weren't clickish groups in the Church (even when skin color isn't a issue) but we can't all be close to everyone. One of the determination factors happens to be what our inclinations and likes are. Things we have in common on lesser grounds tend to tie us together. But we should all remember that we are all one in Christ. Our Union is in Him.

If something I said here seems offensive please know that I didn't mean to be offensive in any way. Skin color doesn't make the man. A person's character does.

There have been things done in the flesh that do not Glorify God. My own denomination had to repent from such and did even after it denounced slavery. It was actually the second denomination to renounce the slave trade in America. https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/negro-slavery-unjustifiable-rev-mcleod-1802/

I am fortunate. I wasn't raised in a manner that separated me from people according to skin color. In fact I was raised with an older guy named Jim Harris who was like a big brother to me. He was a top High School basketball player in the state of Indiana. My Dad was a sports fan. I grew up at the gyms where he played in mixed leagues. BTW, I wasn't raised in Church. I was led to Christ reading his word as I sought for answers after I was asked to join the KKK while I was in the Navy.

When I came home from the military I ended up working at a Christian bookstore for many years as I went to school. My experience there with other people of skin color shaded me a bit. Some of the people of the Social Gospel Black Church treated me with disdain and acted quite pompous as though I owed them because I was white. They were not shy about expressing their disdain as they accused me of being things that just weren't true. Most of them wouldn't even listen to my testimony about how I was raised and my rejection of groups that segregated based upon skin color. I even challenged one Pastor to quit his Social Justice rampage and to turn to the Gospel of Jesus Christ which he was supposedlly ordained to preach. I told him dealing with the sin issue would do more to heal the wounds than what he was doing. At the same time I also don't have much appreciation for certain cultures. And that does play into the equation also. Some people don't appreciate me as I am an old hippie flower power kind of guy. That scares some people that I have an appreciation for Rock and Roll guys like Pink Floyd or Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. And that is okay.

My Church has people of all color. Ram Roa is one of my Elders. He is from India. My Elder Donald Cassell is from Lyberia and is one of the most intelligent men I know. He is married to an Asian lady and their children are most beautiful. My Bible College President Charles Ware was one of my Elders at the Baptist Church I was a member of for 12 years. He is black as he can be and is married to one of the most godliest women. He does have a focus on Urban Ministry and has written on the topic. The RPCNA congregation I belong to is mixed in more than one way. It looks like heaven is going to look. All of the Nations will bow to the King of kings and Lord of lords. I wish that there weren't clickish groups in the Church (even when skin color isn't a issue) but we can't all be close to everyone. One of the determination factors happens to be what our inclinations and likes are. Things we have in common on lesser grounds tend to tie us together. But we should all remember that we are all one in Christ. Our Union is in Him.

If something I said here seems offensive please know that I didn't mean to be offensive in any way. Skin color doesn't make the man. A person's character does.

Randy,

Thank you brother! I think you understand exactly where I'm coming from. I think most people don't understand because they've never been in a situation that's completely different then the one they're in. You're exactly right by pointing out that blacks are guilty of the same sins. If a white person where placed in a predominately black context, they would suddenly know what it feels like. They would suddenly notice that there's something completely (culturally) different when they compare themselves to the folks they're fellowshipping with. It also doesn't have to be racism; It's just people are different, and we gravitate toward people who are like us.

We all agree that we're one in Christ. That's a fact. But the problem is more often than not people rally around their hobbies and food preferences rather than their new identify in Christ. I'm a Reformed Baptist by conviction, so naturally I'm going to look for a Reformed Baptist Church. I absolutely refuse to put my convictions on the back burner so that I can feel more comfortable in a all black Church. My wife agrees with me here. So in saying all of this I want people to understand how things actually are. In order to understand where we need to go we have to know where we are. I pray that we will all see the day when we're no longer judged by ours skin, but our character. We're getting there, but we have ways to go.

Again, if Christ isn't at the center of our relationships, our relationships can run the risk of being meaningless. That thought reminds me of Psalm 127, 'Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it;...'. This is not to say we shouldn't have anything in common, it's just to say we should be sensitive to other cultures other than our own.

Tyrese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back