R. C. Sproul on Chris Fabry Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerRay

Puritan Board Graduate
In my part of the world, we have Moody Radio, which can generally be described as mildly Calvinistic (sometimes) and Dispensational. Earlier this week, on Chris Fabry's talk show, R. C. Sproul was the guest. Mr. Fabry always seems want to make everybody feel comfortable, and tries to stay away from controversy. Dr. Sproul, on the other hand, tends to be rather blunt no matter who is listening. As such, their conversation is pretty funny. Check it out.

Moody Radio | Chris Fabry Live! | July 3, 2012 | The Work of Christ // Evangelicals and the Betrayal of American Conservatism

(Click on "Hour 1" under "Listen Now" at the right hand side of the page)

This is really funny. He spends the first 5-10 minutes apologizing for the possibility of the listener hearing something they may not like. He really makes RC sound like he's out to argue.

By the way: Dr. Sproul also gives somewhat of an analysis of the recent document against that was put together in SBC circles--the same one that was discussed at length here on the PB.

This is really funny. He spends the first 5-10 minutes apologizing for the possibility of the listener hearing something they may not like. He really makes RC sound like he's out to argue.

Haha no kidding.

Just finished. Sproul does an excellent job answering Chris' desperate questions. Chris does an excellent job of sounding stumped at each of Sproul's responses. I had fun stopping the recording after each question by Chris and thinking what I would say, and then listening to Sproul answer Chris' question.

Haha no kidding.

Just finished. Sproul does an excellent job answering Chris' desperate questions. Chris does an excellent job of sounding stumped at each of Sproul's responses. I had fun stopping the recording after each question by Chris and thinking what I would say, and then listening to Sproul answer Chris' question.

You know, I've listened to Chris Fabry countless times over the last several years, and what's kind of disappointing is that I'm pretty sure that Chris Fabry is at least something of a Calvinist. But he tries to be unbiased and uncontroversial. He doesn't mind bringing the truth of the Gospel to bear, even when it is controversial, but on the more difficult matters he does it through his guests more than getting into it himself. I think he understands a lot of the issues more than he lets on; he just wants to be care about what he says.

Nevertheless, I do think he had him stumped when it came to the supralapsarian question. :lol:

I am not familiar with the radio show host but am quite familiar with Dr. Sproul.

My impression after listening to only the radio show introduction was that the host was being overly "showy" and then spent too much time in a confusing commentary almost apologizing for the guest.

On that basis, I formed an opinion that the whole radio episode was disappointing. That's what happens when we don't get the whole story, we can form wrong conclusions.

And I did.

After listening to the whole interview, Dr. Sproul did an excellent job explaining "Calvinism," getting into deep truth with someone, who like many of us, was not getting it. Finding it offensive that God could actually do as He pleases (with His creatures) in salvation.

This is difficult truth, well worth the time contending for.

May this radio show host put aside his preconceptions, and earnestly search this out for himself.

It was indeed, an excellent radio exchange.

And God intended it to be so.

Last edited:
Great interview! Not to get too technical or academic, but the intro made Chris Fabry sound like a milquetoast.

Yeah, I sometimes just have to shake my head when it comes to Mr. Fabry. I love listening to his show, but he tries to be neutral a little too much for my taste. I think sometimes he tries to get guests that will say the things he kind of wants to say but feels like he can't.

I guess it should be noted that his audience is BROADLY evangelical. There are Calvinists, Arminians, Pentecostals, anything you can imagine. I think he just doesn't want to scare people away. I can understand where he's coming from with that perspective, but I still wish he would be more upfront.

I haven't listened to him before and disagree that he was overly apologetic. I think he was thinking of the fact that R.C. unabashedly calls Arminianism a serious error and that Christians are "barely" saved in spite of it. I obviously agree with R.C. but I'm not sure Mr. Fabry completely agrees. We've even seen our own board members get rankled at such a notion.

It was a good interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back