Quotes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
This thread is not intended for discussion but posting only.

SPB

[Edited on 3-15-2004 by Scott Bushey]

Horace Bushnell

In regards to Christian nurture:

"this is the Lords chosen way to peretuate and extend His church. It is the growth from within, like the mustard seed.....The regular normal mode of increase is through the multiplication of Christian families, the blessings descending from generation to generation in an ever growing ratio."

"Compromise is the language of cowards." Oliver Cromwell

Pastors and church Doctors be warned...

[Edited on 3-15-2004 by webmaster]

I hope to one day be connected to a torso, so I can sold as a bobble head doll.

Bouncy:bouncy:

Christ is the very essence of all delights and pleasures, the very soul and substance of them. As all the rivers are gathered into the ocean, which is the meeting-place of all the waters in the world, so Christ is that ocean in which all true delights and pleasures meet.
JOHN FLAVEL

[b:0f72d46111]Scott wrote[/b:0f72d46111]
This thread is not intended for discussion but posting only

If you hadn't written this, I probably would have responded to Ex-Baptist's quote with a hearty :lol::lol:. But, since you did write that, I'll just add another quote instead:

He that knows nothing will believe anything.
Thomas Fuller

I hope to keep building useful things that make people happy up until the money runs out or until I die whichever comes first :smile:

Gregg McKenna
South Windsor Connecticut

[Edited on 3-16-2004 by Gregg]

On this day, March 15, 1984, the Senate voted down voluntary silent prayer
in public schools. President Ronald Reagan responded: "I am deeply
disappointed that, although a majority of the Senate voted for it, the
school prayer amendment fell short." President Reagan later remarked: "In
1962, the Supreme Court...banned the...saying of prayers. In 1963, the Court
banned the reading of the Bible in our public schools,...a series of
assaults were made in one court after another.... Without God there is no
virtue because there is no prompting of the conscience...without God
democracy will not and cannot long endure."

Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity.
Nikola Tesla

The intellectual establishment itself is trying to keep hidden "the dark secret that European high culture in its most advanced phase not only was powerless to prevent the construction and implementation of the death camps, but actually provided the ideological base on which the death camps were built."

Veith quoting Hirsch

Pacifism can be practical when those it seeks to impress prefer peace to war. But evil men who yearn for blood are satisfied with nothing less. They see reluctance to fight as cowardice. Gandhi's nonviolence worked against the British. It would not have worked against Hitler.

- Marvin Olasky

"Meditation is to make knowledge clear and distinct. Divers Christians have thier heads full of raw, confused things, a company of broken ends, notions of small use to themselves or others, for want of due digestion in mediation."
(Nathanael Ranew, Solutide Improved by Divine Meditation, 1602-1678, Page 67)

A tough one:

"Intelligence without courage, is as static,
as courage without intelligence is rash."
Earl Nightingale

"You can't please everybody. One came through perfect 2,000 years ago and He couldn't do it. And if you can be PERFECT and not please 'em, IMPERFECTION sure won't!"
Bob Harrington, The Chaplain of Bourbon St.

"We beg your pardon, when you say we limit Christ's death; we say, 'No, my dear sir, it is you that do it. We say Christ so died that he infallibly secured the salvation of a multitude that no man can number, who through Christ's death not only may be saved, but are saved, must be saved, and cannot by any possibility run the hazard of being anything but saved. You are welcome to your atonement; you may keep it. We will never renounce ours for the sake of it.'" Charles Haddon Spurgeon, from a sermon preached 2/28/1858

"We fear men so much, because we fear God so little. One fear cures another. When man's terror scares you, turn your thoughts to the wrath of God." William Gurnall

"Pray that thy last day, and last works may be the best; and that when thou comest to die, thou mayest have nothing else to do but die." Vavasor Powell

Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God.
--John Calvin

I hold that belief in God is not merely as reasonable as other belief, or even a little or infinitely more probably true than other belief; I hold that unless you believe in God you can logically believe in nothing else.
--Cornelius Van Til

There has been a wonderful alteration in my mind, in respect to the doctrine of God's sovereignty... The doctrine has very often appeared exceedingly pleasant, bright, and sweet. Absolute sovereignty is what I love to ascribe to God.
--Jonathan Edwards

A man may take the measure of his growth and decay in grace according to his thoughts and meditations upon the person of Christ.
--John Owen

The climax of God's happiness is the delight he takes in the echoes of his excellence in the praises of his people.
--John Piper

To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect.
--John Owen

"When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles - they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle." - Mr. Fox, [i:0580d4d230]Fox in Socks[/i:0580d4d230]

"So if your money paid to make it then you have assisted Mel Gibson in the making of an image of God presented to inspire worship.

You threw your gold into the fire that was used to fashion the calf. (Ex 32:4) "

(pastorway)

[i:129b4030c9]From one of the most quotable of men, Edmund Burke:[/i:129b4030c9]

It is a general popular error to imagine the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.

Freedom and not servitude is the cure for anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy for superstition.

Oh! what a revolution! and what a heart I must have, to contemplate without emotion that elevation and that fall! Little did I dream that I should have lived to see disasters fallen upon her in a nation of gallent men, in a nation of men of honour, and of cavaliers. I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators, has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.
Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference, which is, at least, half infidelity.

To neglect things revealed argues ingratitude, but to search into things concealed argues pride.

Francis Turretin

"Complacency breeds stagnation"
-RLG

"Antitheism presupposes theism"
-Van Til

My Presbyterian friends enjoy this one.

[i:b6a7a7ebe3]We have no itch to clog religion with new words[/i:b6a7a7ebe3]
~The London Assembly

It's good to be a 1689er.

[Edited on 3-29-2004 by puriteen18]

"Fight with a happy heart and keep faith in your comrades and your unit. We must be under no illusions about the nature of the enemy and the dangers that lie ahead. Stay alert, take it all in stride, remain sturdy, and share your courage with each other and the world."
MG Mattis, 1st Marine Division

This seemed to speak to spiritual as well as temporal warfare.

'Those rebels couldn't hit an elephant at this distan. . . .'

General John Sedgewick - Spotsylvania, VA.

I think about this anytime I hear anyone, myself included, making bragadocious assertions about the incapabilities of their 'opponent'.

[Edited on 3-31-2004 by LawrenceU]

"Then said Interpreter, 'Come in; I will show thee that which will be profitable to thee.' So he commanded his man to light the candle, and bid Christian follow him; so he had him into a private room, and bid his man open a door; the which when he had done, Christian saw the picture a very grave person hang up against the wall; and this was the fashion of it: It had eyes lifted up to heaven, the best of books in his hand, the law of truth was written upon its lips, the world was behind its back; it stood as if it pleaded with men, and a crown of gold did hang over its head.

Then said Christian, 'What means this?'

'the man whose picture this is, is one of a thousand: he can beget children, travail in birth with children, and nurse them himself when they are born. And whereas thou seest him with his eyes lift up to heaven, the best of books in his hand, and the law of truth writ on his lips: it is to show thee, that his work is to know, and unfold dark things to sinners; even as also thou seest him stand as if he pleaded with men. And whereas thou seest the world as cast behind him, and that a crown hangs over his head; that is to show thee, that slighting and despising the things that are present, for the love that he hath to his Master's service, he is sure in the world that comes next, to have glory for his reward. Now, said the Interpreter, I have showed thee this picture first, because the man whose picture this is, is the only man whom the Lord of the place whither thou art going hath authorized to be thy guide in all difficult places thou mayest meet with in the way: wherefore take good heed to what I have showed thee, and bear well in thy mind what thou hast seen, lest in thy journey thou meet with some that pretend to lead thee right, but their way goes down to death.'"
-- Bunyan, [i:1e30822b8b]The Pilgrim's Progress[/i:1e30822b8b]

"There is a seed of heaven in hope."
Samuel Rutherford, Unpublished MSS, THE TRIAL AND TRIUMPH OF FAITH: SERMON 15, currently being transcribed by A Puritan Mind... :book: :D

"Not to be tempted of the devil, is the greatest temptation; and if there be any choice of devils, a raging and a roaring devil, is better than the calm and sleeping devil."
Samuel Rutherford, Unpublished MSS, THE TRIAL AND TRIUMPH OF FAITH: SERMON 25, currently being transcribed by A Puritan Mind... :book: :D

"Adam had a free will, of sorts, before the fall. It was free in the sense that he didn't have the same propensity to choose sin, the way we do, since he didn't yet have the sinful nature."
Robert Howes, presently living puritanhead
:book:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back