Quotes on Providence

Discussion in 'Quotes Forum' started by smhbbag, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smhbbag

smhbbag Puritan Board Senior

I often fall into the sin of discouragement when good, righteous action by those around me does not immediately produce tangible "results."

May I learn to think eternally, or at least in years, decades, or centuries, and trust God's hand is moving just as He intends.

-- Robert E. Lee

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Here are some of my favorites:

“Let God be God.”
    “Pray, and let God worry.”
    -Martin Luther

“You know however that our duties by no means depend on our hopes of success, but that it behooves us to accomplish what God requires of us, even when we are in the greatest despair respecting the results.”
    -John Calvin, letter to Phillip Melanchthon, March 5 1555.

“This truly must be generally agreed, that nothing is done without his will; because he both governs the counsels of men, and sways their wills and turns their efforts at his pleasure, and regulates all events: but if men undertake anything right and just, he so actuates and moves them inwardly by his Spirit, that whatever is good in them, may justly be said to be received from him: but if Satan and ungodly men rage, he acts by their hands in such an inexpressible manner, that the wickedness of the deed belongs to them, and the blame of it is imputed to them. For they are not induced to sin, as the faithful are to act aright, by the impulse of the Spirit, but they are the authors of their own evil, and follow Satan as their leader. Thus we see that the justice of God shines brightly in the midst of the darkness of our iniquity. For as God is never without a just cause for his actions, so men are held in the chains of guilt by their own perverse will. So that whatever poison Satan produces, God turns it into medicine for his elect.”
    -John Calvin, Commentary on Genesis 50:20

"I'm so glad that God chose me before the foundation of the world, because he never would have chosen me after I was born!"
    -Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"To understand God's sovereignty is to realize arguing about it is foolish.”
    -Arthur Pink

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Stonewall Jackson:

R.L. Dabney:

John Flavel:

William Plumer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.