Quotes on Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

smhbbag

Puritan Board Senior
I often fall into the sin of discouragement when good, righteous action by those around me does not immediately produce tangible "results."

May I learn to think eternally, or at least in years, decades, or centuries, and trust God's hand is moving just as He intends.

"The truth is this: The march of Providence is so slow and our desires so impatient; the work of progress is so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."

-- Robert E. Lee

Last edited:
Here are some of my favorites:

“Let God be God.”
“Pray, and let God worry.”
-Martin Luther

“You know however that our duties by no means depend on our hopes of success, but that it behooves us to accomplish what God requires of us, even when we are in the greatest despair respecting the results.”
-John Calvin, letter to Phillip Melanchthon, March 5 1555.

“This truly must be generally agreed, that nothing is done without his will; because he both governs the counsels of men, and sways their wills and turns their efforts at his pleasure, and regulates all events: but if men undertake anything right and just, he so actuates and moves them inwardly by his Spirit, that whatever is good in them, may justly be said to be received from him: but if Satan and ungodly men rage, he acts by their hands in such an inexpressible manner, that the wickedness of the deed belongs to them, and the blame of it is imputed to them. For they are not induced to sin, as the faithful are to act aright, by the impulse of the Spirit, but they are the authors of their own evil, and follow Satan as their leader. Thus we see that the justice of God shines brightly in the midst of the darkness of our iniquity. For as God is never without a just cause for his actions, so men are held in the chains of guilt by their own perverse will. So that whatever poison Satan produces, God turns it into medicine for his elect.”
-John Calvin, Commentary on Genesis 50:20

"I'm so glad that God chose me before the foundation of the world, because he never would have chosen me after I was born!"
-Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"To understand God's sovereignty is to realize arguing about it is foolish.”
-Arthur Pink

Stonewall Jackson:

"General" I remarked, "How is it that you can keep so cool and appear so utterly insensible to danger in such a storm of shell and bullets as rained about you when your hand was hit?" He instantly became grave and reverential in his manner, and answered, in a low tone of great earnestness: "Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me." He added, after a pause, looking me full in the face: "That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" -- Lt. General Thomas Jackson speaking to then Captain John D. Imboden, Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War, G.F.R Henderson, Vol. 1, p. 163."

R.L. Dabney:

“…prayer implies a providence.” -- R. L. Dabney, Class Notes

John Flavel:

"Some providences, like Hebrew letters, must be read backwards."

William Plumer:

I. What a theme for humble, devout and joyous meditation have we in this doctrine of providence! The pious Flavel says, "It will doubtless be a part of our entertainment in heaven to view with transporting delight, how the designs and methods were laid to bring us there—and what will be a part of our blessedness in heaven may be well allowed to have a prime ingrediency into our heaven upon earth. To search for pleasure among the due observations of Providence is to search for water in the ocean." In a like strain the amiable John Howe says, "When the records of eternity shall be exposed to view, all the counsels and results of the profound wisdom looked into—how will it transport, when it shall be discovered! Lo, thus were the designs laid; here were the apt junctures and admirable dependencies of things, which, when acted upon the stage of time, seemed so perplexed and intricate."

Let God's "loving-kindness" be continually before your eyes. Think on his judgments. "He who will observe the wonderful providences of God—shall have wonderful providences of God to observe." "Whoever is wise, and will observe these things, even they shall understand the loving-kindness of the Lord." Charnock says, "It is a part of atheism to think the acts of God in the world are not worth our serious thoughts. God is highly angry with those that mind him not. 'Because they regard not the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.'" Psalm 28:5. It is a divine art, to view the hand of God in everything. It is an ennobling employment to meditate on all the wonders he has wrought. "The works of the Lord are great, sought out by all those who have pleasure therein." Psalm 111:2. That was a good resolution of Asaph, "I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember your wonders of old—I will meditate also of all your work, and talk of your doings." Psalm 77:11, 12.
V. The right observance of providence is a great duty. The particulars of this duty are well stated by Thomas Boston—

1. We should watch for them until they come. Heb. 2:1-3; Psalm 130:1, 5, 6; Lam. 3:49, 50.

2. We should take heed to them, and mark them when they come. Isaiah 25:9; Ezek. 1:15; Zech. 6:Luke 19:44.

3. We should seriously review them, ponder and closely consider them. Psalm 111:2; Ezek. 10:13; Psalm 73:16; Job 10:2; Psalm 77:6.

4. We should lay them up, and keep them in record. Luke 1:66; 1 Sam. 17:37; Psalm 37:25.

5. We should observe them for practical purposes, that they may have a sanctifying power over our hearts and lives. Psalm 64:7, 9; Deut. 29:2, 3, 4; 2 Kings 6:33; Ecc. 7:14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back