Queston regarding computer and Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
Have question. My computer died last Saturday, so I took it to the shop for repairs. They had to wipe out my harddrive, full of virisus. So I started reloading my favorites, printer, and so on. But now I can't transfer books I get from other sites like Monergism. Before I just saved book to documents folder than moved to Kindle documents. Now I have no Kindle showing up to move to. Any suggestions? I'm running Windows XP and my computer found new hardware (Kindle), but I can not find.

Another question they put Microsoft Works on my computer. Is that the same as Microsoft Office that I used to have?

Sounds like there are drivers missing. Does the USB work for things like flash drives? The Kindle ought to interface just like a flashdrive.

As for the MS Works question, no, it is not all all like your MS Office program. Works is the basic productivity software that usually comes free with a computer having an MS operating system. MS Office is always something you pay extra for--it has more features. You either have to purchase it with installation disks or you can order it online from Microsoft.

Why the shop removed it is a mystery, unless the copy you had was a bootleg copy. They should have asked you to verify if you have the installation disks before wiping your hard drive, I would think. I hope you do have the installation disks somewhere.

Go back to the shop and tell them it's less functional now than it was before.

John, one thing you might want to check is if the drive letters have been reassigned. That might be why you can't find your Kindle when it is plugged in. (I'm assuming you've looked under "My Computers" for it).

Here is a link that talks about changing the drive letter assignment. I've had to do this occasionally when I have had USBs and hard drives plugged in at the same time.

Find Your Missing USB Drive in Windows XP - How-To Geek

Why the shop removed it is a mystery, unless the copy you had was a bootleg copy. They should have asked you to verify if you have the installation disks before wiping your hard drive, I would think. I hope you do have the installation disks somewhere.

I have my disks. I asked them if they wanted me to bring them in and they said no they would install Microsoft Works. The only program I really used was Word and sometimes Excell. I told them that my word was acting up. When my granddaughter was using it it would close down after two or three words. Then she would have to save and open and continue. Since I no longer work, I do not use the Microsoft Office. In fact it's been since 2006 or 2007 and I can not remember Access, Excell, Powerpoint. So I guess Works will be ok.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

John, one thing you might want to check is if the drive letters have been reassigned. That might be why you can't find your Kindle when it is plugged in. (I'm assuming you've looked under "My Computers" for it).

Yes I plugged my Kindle in again and was able to find it. Know I have to send the file to my Kindle then move it. Never had to do this before.

I purchased the ebooks of Spurgeon sermons for $5.00 I moved them to my Kindle but now volume one is not in my document folder, but 2,3,4 are still in my folder and on my Kindle. This has never happened before. I guess I will just keep fooling with till I figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back