Questions About the RPCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got the impression that, outside of exclusive psalmnody and non-instrumentation, the RPCNA seems to be less conservative than the OPC, particularly with regards to feminism, as the emphasis seems to be empowerment and a reductionistic view of biblical roles between the sexes expressing itself most prominently, but not exclusively, in female deacons, as well as not using wine in communion. Is this impression correct? If so, what direction are things heading?

It is interesting to me that this is the perception. I've visited a good number of RPCNA, OPC, and PCA congregations as I travel and I wouldn't say that the RPCNA is less conservative.

As to female deacons, it was recently pointed out to me that this was not as a move toward feminism but specifically a desire to interpret Scripture correctly and has been a position in the RPCNA since the 1880s I believe. I personally don't know where to come down on the issue but it's a more nuanced discussion than I used to think.

For what it's worth, the point of interest is largely centered around 1 Tim 3:11, where most translations say "wives" but the Greek word typically means "women" (married or unmarried).
In the KJV, taking out the added italicized letters, it would become:
"Even so females: grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things."

So some interpreters see "Elders, Deacons, Deacons' Wives" as the sequence of the passage, and some see "Elders, Deacons, Deaconesses" as the sequence, and some even see it as "Elders, Deacons, and Wives of either" as the sequence, since otherwise there would be an address to Deacons' wives, but not to Elders'.

But regardless, it doesn't necessarily appear to have been fueled by feminism, historically.

Thanks for your thoughts Logan, I will have to think more about that. I have most definitely observed feminism in the RPCNA, but that may or may not be connected to the deacon issue.

Thanks for your thoughts Logan, I will have to think more about that. I have most definitely observed feminism in the RPCNA, but that may or may not be connected to the deacon issue.

That could certainly be true, but do you observe it in the denomination as a whole or in a specific congregation (or congregations)?

Good question, I have definitely observed it on a Presbytery level (women teaching at Presbytery conferences, and a local church level with women teaching adult Sunday school, as well as errors of omission in preaching). I suppose time will tell as I get to know the denomination more with this church plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back