Questions About Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

Puritan Board Freshman
Is praying "In Jesus Name" only available for the apostles? Don't all NT saints automatically pray "through Jesus Christ" since Jesus is the mediator for all of his saints? Do our prayers have to directly be for God's glory or can we have other motives (non sinful of course)? All we have to do is pray according to His revealed word? Or do we also have to pray through Jesus Christ? How do you pray "through Jesus Christ"? Shouldn't it be automatic since, like I said, he is the mediator of us all?

My take on it would be Alex, that our Lord taught us how to pray saying,"Our Father." The prayer is directed to the Father. But then he also instructed, "if ye ask anything in my Name." A statement which I think has a threefold application. Firstly used in reference to His mediatorial office, as God cannot have dealings with us or we with Him apart from the prevailing ministry of Christ. Secondly, it is only on the grounds of His authority that we can approach the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity. Thirdly, as taught by a dearly beloved minister whose praise was in all the churches, (but now serves in glory), that to use the Name of Jesus is to pray what he would pray, that his Name stands for His person. Not using His name as an appendage or postscript. I believe the grand and broad principles of prayer are delineated in Scripture and our petitions and supplications are guided through them, rather than a general shopping list approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back