Question for those with Hendriksen's Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
If you have William Hendriksen's Matthew commentary, would you please send me a message with footnote 290 on page 301 typed out? Thanks.

Not in a message, but here it is:

The original has the word κοδράντης, a loanword from the Latin quadrant. A quadrant is a “quarter” of an “as” or “assarius.” The latter is worth one sixteenth of a denarius. The denarius is a laborer’s average daily wage (Matt. 18:28; 20:2, 9, 13; 22:19). Due to constantly changing monetary values it is impossible to indicate with any degree of accuracy what such coins would be worth today in American or in English money. If the denarius be viewed as the equivalent of 16–18 American cents, then the assarius would be worth about a cent, and the quadrant, only about 1/4 cent. However, it is not necessary to estimate what would be the exact modern equivalent. The point is: the person who refuses to make an earnest attempt at reconciliation will never be able to pay his debt.

Hendriksen, W., & Kistemaker, S. J. (1953-2001). Vol. 9: New Testament commentary : Exposition of the Gospel According to Matthew. Accompanying biblical text is author's translation. New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.

Is it commenting on 5:25?

This is a great NT commentary set. Some commentaries are pretty dry, but the H&K has some devotional qualities to it while remaining scholarly at the same time. Not an easy balance to strike in commentary. Grace and Peace:2cents:

Thanks.

I do not know what he is commenting on. I saw the reference to that footnote in Hendriksen's Luke commentary. That is one weakness of Hendriksen's commentaries: he will refer the reader to another of his commentaries for a further argument or a corroborating fact (or, in this case, merely a neat bit of information). This is no big deal if you own the whole set, but for those of us who are borrowing commentaries, it is kind of a drag. Other than that, I have grown to love his commentary on Luke.

This is a great NT commentary set. Some commentaries are pretty dry, but the H&K has some devotional qualities to it while remaining scholarly at the same time. Not an easy balance to strike in commentary. Grace and Peace:2cents:

Much like Calvin's commentaries in that way. I love the Hendricksen commentary set. I have it on CD.

I bought it when I was teaching through Galatians.

Much like Calvin's commentaries in that way. I love the Hendricksen commentary set. I have it on CD.

I bought it when I was teaching through Galatians.

I think Hendricksen set in the best modern commentary. Do tell, Rich, where did you get it on CD?

I think it was about ten bucks cheaper at ChristianBook. The only commentary set that might be better is Calvin. I dare say that with these two sets you'd have something to chew on.
New Testament Commentary on CD-ROM
By: Simon J. Kistemaker, William Hendriksen
More in Baker NT Commentary Series
Baker / 2004 / Other

Retail Price: $250.00
CBD Price: $85.99
You Save $164.01 (66%)

From CBD...stick with rejoicesoftware...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back