Question for Jerusalem Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fellow Pilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
I noticed in your signature that you're in Cyprus, planting and pastoring a Reformed church! I'm very interested in how that started - like, were you already familiar with the area and just knew a church needed to be planted there, or where you sent from a 'mother' church to plant this one or did you inherit it? I understand what 'reformed' means now, but have never heard the term 'Three Forms of Unity' so would be grateful if you could tell me what that means. And finally, since you started the church plant there, how are things going for you and what do you find the most difficult about the planting and Pastoring, and what has most helped or hindered your church growth?

I hope these are not intrusive questions as I am genuinely interested. And also, if I have posted in the wrong area, my sincere apologies and perhaps someone with the authority and means to do so can move it to its rightful place.

Thanks.

Three Forms of Unity refers to the Belgic Confession, Heidelberg Catechism, and Canons of Dort. These are typically used as the confessional documents in Continental Reformed churches (Dutch Reformed for example). They're very similar in doctrine to the Westminster Standards which you hold to but were written earlier in different contexts.

I'll have to get back you Graham - I'm retiring early tonight, as I have to rise early in the morning.

I did miss the post, as I've been busy this day!

Three Forms of Unity refers to the Belgic Confession, Heidelberg Catechism, and Canons of Dort. These are typically used as the confessional documents in Continental Reformed churches (Dutch Reformed for example). They're very similar in doctrine to the Westminster Standards which you hold to but were written earlier in different contexts.
Expanding on this a bit here are some resources:

Ligonier Content discussing the 3 Forms of Unity:

Free Mongerisim Ebook of the 3 Forms of Unity:

History of the Creeds and Confessions:

Belgic Confession:

Synod of Dort:

Heidelberg Catechism:

Thanks Jake and aaronsk. I had already found the articles on the Ligonier site yesterday and came back here to try and edit my post to say so but it wouldn't let me - perhaps because the same poster can't respond to their own post and editing wasn't possible as I had been logged out? Anyway, I really appreciate your links and had downloaded the files, have printed them off and added them to a folder I'm creating of basic foundational teachings. Really looking forward to digging in and am grateful that this kind of material is available - and free. I've found myself wondering why on earth I've never heard such basic but vital teachings in any of the churches we've been to although I assume its normal in reformed churches. It literally terrifies me to know how far from God I was as a Mormon, and even the word faith church my wife was attending and I joined with her when I left Mormonism. Another gospel entirely and a different Jesus to be sure. God's graciousness and mercy and His words in the Bible give me hope and these articles have lifted my weary spirit as has the warm fellowship and support already received here from true Christian brothers and, I believe, a dear sister in Christ too. Thank you.

I have enough material right now to last me weeks, I think, as I really want to take it all in properly so that I understand and not just skim the surface, so I won't ask for anything else.

Looking forward to hearing about @JerusalemBlade's experiences when time permits and thanks in advance for that.

Whether you celebrate The Lord's Day tomorrow (Saturday) or on Sunday, I shall be thinking of everyone here as new family in Christ and counting my blessings.

I noticed in your signature that you're in Cyprus, planting and pastoring a Reformed church! I'm very interested in how that started - like, were you already familiar with the area and just knew a church needed to be planted there, or where you sent from a 'mother' church to plant this one or did you inherit it? I understand what 'reformed' means now, but have never heard the term 'Three Forms of Unity' so would be grateful if you could tell me what that means. And finally, since you started the church plant there, how are things going for you and what do you find the most difficult about the planting and Pastoring, and what has most helped or hindered your church growth?

I hope these are not intrusive questions as I am genuinely interested. And also, if I have posted in the wrong area, my sincere apologies and perhaps someone with the authority and means to do so can move it to its rightful place.

Thanks.
Hello Graham,

No, not at all intrusive. But I'll try to keep this short.

In 2002 my wife, Pola (a Greek Cypriot / American), and I moved from NYC to Cyprus to care for her mom who was diagnosed with Alzheimers, so as to help her (Pola's) twin sister with caregiving. They wanted to keep her at home. We attended various evangelical churches – none of them Reformed (none in our city, and only one other in the nation), and eventually decided to plant one here, in Limassol. These other churches, although filled with precious saints, were nonetheless all performance-oriented as regards souls being accepted by God. We were used to being in grace-oriented churches. The pastor in the other city here was glad to help us, as he'd been wanting to plant a church here – he was affiliated with the OPC in the states. He is also the General Director of MERF (Middle East Reformed Fellowship), which helps plant and support indigenous churches in the ME.

We began English services in 2006. We returned to the U.S. in 2011, a year after my mother-in-law died (we believe she came to Christ while she was still communicative), as I had notified all concerned we would do. Our mother church found pulpit supply from various parts of the English-speaking world for many years, and in 2015 brought in a man from the U.K., and his wife, to permanently take over care of the church.

It went well until 2021 when the U.K. pastor decided to leave the Presbyterian faith and go independent, and when that became known was told he had to leave the premises to make way for a faithful shepherd, and he did, but took the entire congregation with him (can't really blame them, as the pastoral couple were the mother and father of the flock for over five years).

Pola and I were wanting to permanently relocate to Cyprus anyway – I wasn't pastoring in the U.S., nor were there any sound Reformed churches near to our home there (at 80, without a car, it was hard for me to travel to churches that were sound). When we learned the older pastor of the mother church was traveling to our former city to hold services, besides the morning and evening services in his church, we offered to return on a temporary basis while awaiting the sale of our NYC condo, if the Lord granted us a sale in the rapidly deteriorating financial and cultural situation in NY.

So we returned to Cyprus in Dec of 2021 to take over care of the empty church building, and re-plant the church:

New cross pic.JPG

Slowly souls began coming in (we have good identifying signs outside the building), especially Africans fleeing persecution and poverty in Nigeria and Cameroon. They were delighted to find whites who treated believers as family and genuinely cared for them (this is a xenophobic and somewhat racist nation, having been conquered by foreigners so many times).

It is very hard for asylum seekers to be officially given refugee status here. Some our folks have already given up and returned to their countries, possibly to try to gain access into the E.U. proper, where it is easier.

We help with rent (as we can), food, medicine, doctors and moral support. They love us as they know we care for them, and we love them. We understand the Lord has given them to be in our care and instruction for a possibly brief period, and so seek to ground them in the foundations of the Gospel, that they may be able to continue on with the Saviour whatever situations they may find themselves in.

Pola has been asked to teach in a women's Bible study near us comprised of women from different churches here. Back in the 2006-2011 period she also taught in such settings, one of the very few Reformed women in our city. Some Reformed women from these studies have expressed interest in our church, but because we are small, with few children, and no developed children's classes, they may be preferring the larger but non-Reformed congregations.

Wife and I both have dual U.S. and Cypriot nationality – holding passports of both countries, and thus E.U. citizens as well – which makes life easier here. No problem getting drivers licenses, buying homes, etc. We are in the process of buying an apartment near the church building, from the proceeds of our condo sale.

I'll be 81 in less than 2 weeks, and winding down in physical stamina. Actively looking for a qualified replacement for me. Currently we are living in a 2 bdrm apartment in the church building just above the worship area (on the ground floor is a lounge where we fellowship and have refreshments after the service, and where we have our Wednesday evening Bible studies). Along with the rent-free apt, is the church car. A very nice garden in the inner courtyard (orange and lemon trees, and a grape vine), and a roof space, where I love to have my quiet times when the weather is good, which is most of the year.

If anyone is interested in the position, feel free to contact me, and the senior pastor in the other city and myself will consider applications. A pic of the roof setting:

Roof Sept 23.22.JPG

This is kind of a summary of life here, and the history of our lives here.

Our congregation a week or so ago, see next post:

Steve,

I'd picked up some of your story in pieces on the PB over the years but really appreciated you sharing this as you did. Thank you for doing so and we will pray for you and your congregation.

Steve, thank you so much for sharing your journey. Sorry to hear though that the UK pastor when he left to 'go independent' took the entire congregation with him! That must have been a very difficult situation. Its clear the Lord made way for you and Pola to return to Cyprus to take over the care of the empty church building and re-plant the church there. I did not realise that Cyprus is a xenophobic and somewhat racist nation but praise God that He has positioned you and you lovely wife to parent these humble believers who believe and trust in Him. Your goal to 'ground them in the foundations of the Gospel so that they may be able to continue on with the Saviour whatever situations they may find themselves in' is a noble and mighty one. I join Jake (and I'm sure others who have read your post) in praying for your and your wife, for health and strength and stamina and continued refreshing of mind and spirit, and that you will soon find a nice place to live and call home near your church building. Also will pray that the Lord provides a faithful qualified shepherd to replace you.

That roof space looks so quiet and peaceful and your congregation looks beautiful. Do you have a direct donation option to help with rent, food, medicine, doctors and moral support as you outlined?

Scott, I'm not sure if your post is intended for me but if so I'm afraid I don't understand it. Have I said something wrong or over-posted with my questions?

Steve, et al
I believe I put this post in the wrong spot. Just disregard. My bad. Love you guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back