Question for Hymn Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever sung a hymn that was better than a psalm?

Better is a very subjective and often dangerous place to begin a discussion. Often better means what do I prefer, which should never be the standard for worship. A Reformed approach recognizes that our preferences are not only dangerous, they are irrelevant.

I think "danger" in the context of this discussion is a bit much. The intent of my question was to assume hypothetically that the EP position is false; I wonder in that situation why the non-EP would prefer uninspired songs to the Psalms. I am interested in what would make a man choose a hymn over a Psalm even if EP is false; the intent of my question was not to debate the truth of the EP position; I belive there are other places on this board where that is covered.

Why would you object to someone noting that we should be suspicious of our preferences? Just curious, no offense intended, brother. You asked which was better, many have noted that this is not the proper question to ask. Instead, you should ask what God prefers.

I am not offended, and I do not disagree that we should be "suspicious of our preferences", I just think calling it "dangerous" in this context is hyperbolic. Though I thought I was already clear on this, I will say again for the record: I do not think that the question I have asked is the "proper question", or the most important question, or the only question or perhaps even a very good question, it is just the question I had, which is obviously completely subordinate the actual EP debate.

Thanks Jeff, your line of thinking is sort of what I was getting at in my original question. Let's say that hypothetically the EP position is wrong, I still wonder in what situation one would one say to oneself "I think I should choose the uninspired over the inspired".[/QUOTE]

I suppose one could say that without being convicted of ep position there is the ability to choose between inspired and uninspired. As for me, the Psalms seem to speak to the theme of the worship.

What I would like to say is that while hymns (all hymns) are not inspired like the Psalms are I don't believe hymns cannot be used in worship. We are to worship God with our whole-beings. We are to offer ourselves up as living sacrifices and for me that means our talents (hymn-writing) and our voices (singing). Bach wrote every piece of music to the glory of the Lord and I am confident Luther didn't consider it a sin when he wrote 'Ein Feste Burg.'

I would ask the question whether EP is salvific. If it is not a matter of salvation then I would lean toward Christian liberty.

We are to offer ourselves up as living sacrifices and for me that means our talents (hymn-writing) and our voices (singing).

If God wants us to use our talents in worship, and it doesn't matter whether He specifically asks to see a particular talent or not, then who is to say there can't be juggling in worship? I am an electrical engineering graduate student. If the worship service is a place for us to offer our talents, then may I design circuits in worship? May I solve math problems in worship?

Bach wrote every piece of music to the glory of the Lord and I am confident Luther didn't consider it a sin when he wrote 'Ein Feste Burg.'

I love Bach's music. It has its place outside the worship service. Maybe even certain hymns do, especially those that can be "testimony songs" rather than praise songs, e.g., In Christ Alone or Before the Throne of God Above. Ein Feste Burg was an interesting example for you to choose. It is a paraphrase of Psalm 46. Yes, we EPists would have preferred a translation, but nevertheless it is an interesting example to choose for the height of hymnody.

I would ask the question whether EP is salvific. If it is not a matter of salvation then I would lean toward Christian liberty.

Brother, this is not a good way to approach what is warranted in worship. What is salvific is the finished work of Christ. A true believer could do a lot of ridiculous things in worship before I would question his salvation. I was a true believer, albeit an ignorant one, when I believed a rock band was acceptable in worship. Nevertheless, as believers we love the Lord that bought us, and so it is and ought to be our fervent desire always to be finding out what pleases our Heavenly Father. We cannot decide that how we worship doesn't really matter because, after all, it's not like we'd be damned for doing it wrong, right? That is not the attitude a child of God ought to express for the ordinances of the worship of the Most High.

Points all well taken. My post was not well thought out.

I was a true believer, albeit an ignorant one, when I believed a rock band was acceptable in worship.
I just can't form a mental picture of Austin rocking out in a worship service - so help us out brother, and post one...

For deterrent purposes only, of course. :D No, thoughts of blackmail never entered my mind...

I just can't form a mental picture of Austin rocking out in a worship service - so help us out brother, and post one...

For deterrent purposes only, of course. No, thoughts of blackmail never entered my mind...

As a matter of fact, I led worship for youth and even occasionally for a congregation as a teenager, with a guitar and Chris Tomlin songs and the whole nine yards. At one church where I played guitar, we did "Love Song" by The Cure and a few U2 songs. There was a man in the church who had made out to "Love Song" in high school. The LORD has graciously brought me out of a lot of nonsense. I am grateful that hymn-singing Reformed churches at least do not do those things because they -- unlike the Arminian churches in my background -- care for maintaining reverence in the worship of God.

Also, for the record, I do not think you bear any resemblance to a fungus.

What is the best way to select a melody for our psalm singing? Is there a benefit to using American folk tunes or western European compositions versus John Denver or the Carpenters?

Also, for the record, I do not think you bear any resemblance to a fungus.

You haven't smelled his feet. ;)

As a matter of fact, I led worship for youth and even occasionally for a congregation as a teenager, with a guitar and Chris Tomlin songs and the whole nine yards. At one church where I played guitar, we did "Love Song" by The Cure and a few U2 songs. There was a man in the church who had made out to "Love Song" in high school. The LORD has graciously brought me out of a lot of nonsense. I am grateful that hymn-singing Reformed churches at least do not do those things because they -- unlike the Arminian churches in my background -- care for maintaining reverence in the worship of God.

I don't think a picture is enough. We need video. Chris Tomlin doesn't bother me. I like my "Jesus is my boyfriend music". I listen to Chris Tomlin here at home and some other Christian groups. But you already know that. Even though I do listen to some CCM at home, I don't want to sing it during worship.

Hello folks, I have a simple (simplistic?) question for hymn-singers, first a little background since knowing where I am coming from may be relevant:

• Converted in high school
  • Was not aware that Christians sang the Psalter until after 10+ years as a Christian
  • Could be convinced of the EP position but trying to guard against the newish Reformed tendancy to immediately take the most conservative position possible on every issue
  • Prefer Psalms to hymns

My question to hymn-singers is: Have you ever sung a hymn that was better than a psalm?

No. But I've also never heard a sermon that was better than the text.

Fun to read responses to query. Certainly Psalms inspired by Holy Spirit. A blessing to read; but cannot help but believe Holy Spirit also inspired Mr. Spafford (It is well with my soul) and others. Love the Psalms, love our hymns too.

That is impossible (unless you mean something different by inspired in each case); else Mr Spafford would be writing Scripture.
Moderator hat on: welcome to the board; please fix your signature by following the link in mine.
A blessing to read; but cannot help but believe Holy Spirit also inspired Mr. Spafford (It is well with my soul) and others. Love the Psalms, love our hymns too.

The hymns should be relegated to the second rank of Christian songs in keeping with the teaching of Scripture on the Psalms.

This is achieved by Exclusive Psalmody at the stated services.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back