Question for EPers: what to make of Habakkuk 3:19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

Puritan Board Graduate
Habakkuk 3:19

The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

Here's the question: in this verse we have clear indications

a) that at least the final section of Habakkuk was used for sung worship

b) that at least this final section was intended to be sung

c) that this section ought to be sung in worship

As EPers how do you deal with this (leaving aside the instrument question for now)?

This is a great question and one that we ought to ask of the EP position. This is a good response from John McNaugher's book The Psalms in Worship

THE PSALMS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT CHURCH
By Professor D. A. McClenahan, D. D., Allegheny, Pa.

“Then the fact that from all the songs prepared by inspired men in Old Testament times one hundred and fifty were selected to form a manual of praise is indicative of the fact that divine wisdom has been exercised in the selection. This is significant. The Psalms were gathered into a book for the express purpose of making a manual of praise for use in the public and private worship of God. Everyone, so far as I have ever heard, who believes in an inspired Psalmody is perfectly satisfied with the selection that has been made by divine wisdom. Moses, Hannah, Habakkuk, Jonah, Hezekiah, and others wrote songs, which for historical reasons were retained in their historical place in the Canon, but which were omitted from the permanent praise book of the Church for reasons which seemed good to the divine mind. Doubtless other inspired songs were written and, possibly, for a time sung by the Old Testament Church. For reasons which seemed good to divine wisdom these songs, if there were any, were omitted from both the Psalter and the Canon. Paul wrote epistles to the churches. All of these were inspired. Many of them have been included in the New Testament for permanent use. Others were not included, and are lost, this for reasons which seemed good to a superintending Providence. There are twenty-seven lost books quoted in one or other of the thirty-nine Old Testament books. Doubtless some of these were inspired, but none of these twenty-seven books were included in the Bible, for reasons which seemed good to the Holy Ghost. Habakkuk, doubtless, uttered other prophecies than those contained in his three chapters, and Obadiah others than those contained in the twenty-one verses in his one-chaptered book; but they are not bound up in the Bible. The fact that other Old Testament books and other of Paul's inspired epistles were once used by the Church, but are not now in the Bible, gives the Church no sanction for making new books of Scripture. The fact that other inspired songs were once made, and possibly sung, gives the Church no authority to make other songs as substitutes for the Psalms of the Psalter.”

There are many articles dealing with this question at www.exclusivepsalmody.com if you are willing to do a little research.

Habakkuk 3:19

The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

Here's the question: in this verse we have clear indications

As EPers how do you deal with this (leaving aside the instrument question for now)?

a) In what context?
b) No problem
c) Where does this say that this is in the context of temple worship?

Every time that the word "sing" or "sung" is used doesn't mean that it is in the context of formal temple worship.

Sincerely,

(Psa 18:32) It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

(Psa 18:33) He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

(Psa 18:34) He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

(Psa 18:35) Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

Just to be honest it sounds like he is quoting and singing what God has commanded.

A prophet used prayer-song to deliver his prophecy. We have the same in 1 Corinthians 14. The EP position relates to the ordinary worship of God. Were the extraordinary gifts to be revived then inspired songs would likely be the result, not to be sung by the congregation in corporate worship, but to be heard, examined, and received as they were sung by the individuals who were inspired.

Is the New Covenant Israel of God to relegate God's Hymnody (the Book of Psalms), to a secondary place, or even supplant it altogether, by the use/misuse of extra-Psalmodic inspired songs, paraphrases or uninspired human compositions?

But this is the anomally which happens when hymns, paraphrases and extra-Psalmodic inspired songs are allowed in the gathered worship of the evangelicals and the Reformed everywhere.

The Psalms should have first place in every evangelical church being God's Heaven-sent Praise Book, which has been transfigured by the First Advent of Christ. One day this will be the case.

Last edited:
Paul wrote epistles to the churches. All of these were inspired. Many of them have been included in the New Testament for permanent use. Others were not included, and are lost, this for reasons which seemed good to a superintending Providence.

On what basis could it be assumed that every epistle written by Paul was inspired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back