Question concerning excerpt from "Genesis" by Waltke

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanhamre

Puritan Board Freshman
I was reading Waltke's "Genesis" commentary and read something I'm not too sure of concerning humanity being made in the image of God; I thought I would share the quote and see what you guys think-

Furthermore, we are theomorphic. At the very least this entails that human beings, like God, are persons. As such, we are not only creatures dependent upon God but also persons with volition free to make decisions. Hoekema says, "To be creatures means that God is the potter and we are the clay (Rom. 9:21 [Isa. 45:9]); to be persons means that we are the ones who fashion our lives by our own decisions (Gal. 6:7-8 [cf. Josh. 24:15])." Accordingly, humanity has the potential to sin and to accept God's grace.​

Above emphasis is the author's, and this was taken from page 70.

What are your thoughts?

"to be persons means that we are the ones who fashion our lives by our own decisions (Gal. 6:7-8 [cf. Josh. 24:15])." Accordingly, humanity has the potential to sin and to accept God's grace."

As persons we have intellect, sensibility, and will (volition). It does not follow that this volition is autonomous. Indeed, even unfallen man was neither an independent knower nor an independent chooser. Certainly fallen man possessed not independence or sovereignty in regards to volition.

Man, as Imago Dei, since the fall is marred in every facet of his image bearing. He is utterly incapable of desiring and choosing the good.

I was reading Waltke's "Genesis" commentary and read something I'm not too sure of concerning humanity being made in the image of God; I thought I would share the quote and see what you guys think-

Furthermore, we are theomorphic. At the very least this entails that human beings, like God, are persons. As such, we are not only creatures dependent upon God but also persons with volition free to make decisions. Hoekema says, "To be creatures means that God is the potter and we are the clay (Rom. 9:21 [Isa. 45:9]); to be persons means that we are the ones who fashion our lives by our own decisions (Gal. 6:7-8 [cf. Josh. 24:15])." Accordingly, humanity has the potential to sin and to accept God's grace.​

Above emphasis is the author's, and this was taken from page 70.

What are your thoughts?

Is your concern that it sounds Arminian. If so, I think you can relax. That doesn't necessarily follow. We can be volitional creatures, and indeed we are, yet affirm that God is sovereign. We can be volitional and yet have that volition so corrupted that only evil choices are possible without God's intervention. And we can be persons with the potential to volitionally accept God's grace, yet know that this is impossilbe unless the Spirit regenerates us. Calvinists believe in volitional people who make choices that are, to an extent, free and willful.

This fits Reformed theology. I'm thinking particulary of Berkhof, whose book I happen to be teaching through at the moment, but I'm pretty certain other reformed guys say the same.

How can Waltke say that "humanity has the potential to sin and to accept God's grace." His application of "humanity" is universal since it is in the context of Imago Dei.

Can we rightly say that all persons within "humanity" have the potential to accept God's grace?

I suppose it depends on what exactly Waltke means, but I don't think this is a problem as (unsaved) people "accept" God's common grace everyday simply by enjoying another day not in eternal punishment, whereas God's saving grace is given only to the elect. But as we know, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (Rom 8:1)

So I think all humans equally are able to accept God's grace as it is given, because our salvation doesn't depend on us, but on God who has mercy (Rom 9:16).

Can we rightly say that all persons within "humanity" have the potential to accept God's grace?

Why couldn't we?

Going back to creation... If they were in a sinless state they could.

Looking at things today... If they are in a regenerate state they can. And anyone could, potentially, become regenerate. That depends wholly on God, so even those who're unregenerate now are potentially people who will become regenerate and accept grace. That's basic to humanity. A dog, on the other hand, if different. The dog is not one who potentially might be made regenerate and accept grace.

"Potential" here doesn't mean "able under their own power even though dead in sin." It means "the sort of creature made with the capacity to act this way (acknowledging, of course, that God must make him regenerate first)."

Given the rest of Waltke's theology, I suspect this is what he means by his statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back