Question about the Enlightenment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
I know this isn't directly church history related, but I have a question about the Englightenment. I have heard some Christian apologists/historians have the critical remark of the Enlightenment that its ideals (reason vs religion & superstition) led to the French Revolution. How is this the case? I know that the Enlightenment period caused people to rebel against authority and this would lead to revolution, but often apologists/historians criticize this period implying that "See what reason does when it is god?" and that the emphasis on reason is what caused the revolution. I mean, maybe this is a valid argument since I know that Romanticists like Rousseau criticized Rationalists saying that a society based on reason alone will not be loving, feeling, empathetic, etc.

So that said, what was it that led to the French Revolution? I know there are many factors involved, of course, but is the apologist/historian historical argument above valid?

Last edited:
You actually have TWO questions; one about the ESSENCE of the Enlightenment and another about the CAUSE of the French Revolution.

Regarding the first:

“Not a coherent system of philosophy put forth in one treatise, it was instead a way of thinking, a diverse group of assumptions and beliefs clustered around reliance on human reason. The modes of Enlightenment thought could seldom all be found in the writings of one person; yet they all saturated the culture as a whole. The possibility of social change, and change in a progressive manner, was assumed. The emphasis on reason, or man's ability to use his own mind to understand the universe without recourse to supernatural explanations, characterized nearly all mid-eighteenth-century thought.” -NOAH WEBSTER

The graduates of Yale in the middle of the eighteenth century expected mankind in general, and Americans in particular to solve the world’s problems, perfecting humanity along the way. Such was the climate of the American centers of education in the mid 1700’s. These provided the intellectual materials to those who would become the leaders of the thirteen colonies.

The revolutionaries in France added to the mix a toxic anarchy and bloodlust.

Reason and rational thinking are not bad. God is both reasonable and rational. The problem comes when we exalt reason and rationality to the point of deeming them infallible. When we divorce our intellectual ability from the fact that we are fallen beings (as Aquinas seemed to do), we will go with our "logical" conclusions every time.

The French Revolution does indeed owe a great part of its inception to the Enlightenment. Voltaire and Diederot (both of whom were atheists) were foundational to this. There's a good article about it here: Causes of the French Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should read the book I recommended you yesterday, A christian view of men and things :) It answers your question

It was the enlightenment philosopher Rousseau who wrote what is considered the "manifesto" for the french revolution. He began by asking the simple question "how is state coercion justified?" Given that we "ought" to obey the government something has to justify this. We ought not obey our neighbour in a similar way. It is this fact Rousseau sought to explain.

He rejects the notion that government is authorized by God and instead proposes that government is authorized by a social contract, ie. all members have once upon a time come together and given up their naturali rights in order to be ruled. They did so because the obstacles (for survival) were too great to overcome by the collective effort of the citizens and a greater power was needed. Moreover, all citizens have certain interests in common and government is thus authorized to promote the "common interest".

At this point we thus have two assumptions: what government does lies in your interest and the people by itself does not always seek what is best for them (othewise no contract would have been needed). Also, government is needed otherwise the species will perish. Government is also infallible since it always seeks the common interest. Government therefore provides you with morality and life, things you would not have had without it.

Now - government can be corrupted and not represent the common interest (which now has become God, and the politicians its high priests). Then it needs to be replaced (revolution)

After a revolution there is always a risk for another revolution (since someone else might have another opinion of what the common interest is). So dissenters have to be destroyed (since they threaten the well being of the whole state - what if their ideas spread?) so that order can be established.

Moreover the state has to bind the conscience of its subjects. Obey the government, the survival of the race depends on it.

Religion is dangerous, christianity especially since it directs the peoples conscience towards God and not the state. The secular state is jealous and will not tolerate another authority. It is not safe if people get exposed to ideas about God.

I cannot say that this is 100% how the French revolution happened, but at any rate it is the logic of enlightenment politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back