Question about Jay Adams' Christian Counselor NT Commentary Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

CovenantalBaptist

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anyone used this series extensively and can offer a summary review of it?

I'm thinking about buying a copy of one of the commentaries (Luke) for a preaching series I'm preparing to start in November. I just want to know how "unique" a series it really is. I'm trying to discern if its worth the purchase (an individual volume in Canada is over $30) as a supplement to some of the others I've bought (Bock, Ryken -who has done a good job in the new REC commentary - and a few others).

Chris, I haven't used/read the Luke volume, but I did use one of the volumes on the epistles (multiple epistles -- get your money's worth!) when I was preaching through Galatians. The one great value of the commentaries is the practical application. Obviously, he applies it to counseling, but a good pastor can communicate those truths to hurting souls from the pulpit as well.

Also, Adams is very knowledgeable of the Greek, and he does a good job of putting words and phrases in "everyday language" which congregations seem to like.

Not familiar with the series you mention.

In the main, Mr. Adams is a time-tested, reliable, faithful teacher of God's Word.

Chris, I haven't used/read the Luke volume, but I did use one of the volumes on the epistles (multiple epistles -- get your money's worth!) when I was preaching through Galatians. The one great value of the commentaries is the practical application. Obviously, he applies it to counseling, but a good pastor can communicate those truths to hurting souls from the pulpit as well.

Also, Adams is very knowledgeable of the Greek, and he does a good job of putting words and phrases in "everyday language" which congregations seem to like.

Thanks, Tim, this is helpful.

I have a few from this series as well. I agree with Tim, that it is purposefully directed towards one-to-another counseling, but the applications are very helpful and insightful. If you use it merely for the application- your congregation will thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back