Question About Geneva Bible Notes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
What are the Geneva Bible translators trying to teach us about Christ Jesus?
I know they do not believe that Christ was a created being from thier notes on John ch. 1. But what is this??

Dan 10:13 - But the (h) prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, (i) Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

(h) Meaning Cambyses, who reigned in his father's absence, and did not only for this time hinder the building of the temple, but would have further raged, if God had not sent me to resist him: and therefore I have stayed for the profit of the Church.

(i) Even though God could by one angel destroy all the world, yet to assure his children of his love he sends forth double power, even Michael, that is, Christ Jesus the head of angels.

Dan 10:21 - But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: (q) and [there is] none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

(q) For this angel was appointed for the defence of the Church under Christ, who is the head of it.

Dan 12:1 - And at that (a) time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

(a) The angel here notes two things: first that the Church will be in great affliction and trouble at Christ's coming, and next that God will send his angel to deliver it, whom he here calls Michael, meaning Christ, who is proclaimed by the preaching of the Gospel.

Jud 1:9 - (7) Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

(7) An argument of comparison: Michael one of the chiefest angels, was content to deliver Satan, although a most accursed enemy, to the judgment of God to be punished: and these perverse men are not ashamed to speak evil of the powers who are ordained of God.

Rev 12:7 - And there was war in heaven: (14) Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

(14) Christ is the Prince of angels and head of the Church, who bears that iron rod (Rev_12:5). Also See Dan_12:1. In this verse a description of the battle and of the victory in the two verses following (Rev_12:8-9). The psalmist noted this battle as did Paul; (Psa_68:9; Eph_4:8; Col_2:15).

Michael is the only "archangel" mentioned in the Bible. Angel does not always mean "spiritual being", for instance, men are described as angels in Matthew 24:31. I'm pretty sure that this interpretation of Michael as Christ has been the generally accepted interpretation among Protestants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back