Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Every time I listen to their music, I am amazed at the beauty and brilliance of it. I don't really know of any music that compares to their creativity/talent/beauty of song writing. Probably my all-time favorite band.

Every time I listen to their music, I am amazed at the beauty and brilliance of it. I don't really know of any music that compares to their creativity/talent/beauty of song writing. Probably my all-time favorite band.

Brother, I hate to rain on your parade but you may want to read their lyrics as well as listen to some of the things Freddy Mercury said and did. He openly said he didn't want to go to heaven and wanted to go to hell. I can DM some videos that explore the anti-Christian nature of Queen.

Yes I definitely agree that their music must be filtered out for the Christian. There are only certain songs of theirs I will listen to. I didn't know of them being anti-christian though.

I was pretty disturbed at the information I came across about them, especially Mercury. I once enjoyed them as well. I won't be playing them in my home anymore. Here is one line from their hit song, Bohemian Rhapsody.
"Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me"

There is a lot more than that.

To each his own, I will not condemn unless its rap. But, In my humble opinion as an avid metalhead Queen is overrated. I do like Another One bites the dust though.
Sorry if my post seems like a bash against you...I just can't say this in public...

Queen... Freddie Mercury... brilliant? Huh. Well, they said the same about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain... I always thought it was gibberish.

Re: Queen... the culture has a vested interest in celebrating them and reviving them (such as with the recent movie) precisely because of Freddie’s homosexual behavior: in the eyes of the world, it must be celebrated, so every homosexual of fame or influence must be lionized.

I think compared to most rock bands of their particular genre they have a musical ability that is well above average. Brian May is a well regarded guitarist and Mercury has his vocal moments that are quite good. I have a couple of their songs on my playlist but I agree with what has been said - it is hard to get around their garbage. If you really don't want to be ruined, don't watch any of their videos - at least one was raving homosexual and now I can't even listen to the song anymore. Definitely a heavy filter required with that band.

Re: Queen... the culture has a vested interest in celebrating them and reviving them (such as with the recent movie) precisely because of Freddie’s homosexual behavior: in the eyes of the world, it must be celebrated, so every homosexual of fame or influence must be lionized.

That is true as far as it goes but in the rock world, Queen has been well-regarded musically for quite some time quite apart from Mercury's behavior by people who could care less what he did offstage.

I never did get Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did literally change rock overnight but as a song I consider it a kind of fluke that was the right sound at the right time with what was going on in the culture and the rock world. I can't stand it now but at the time, it was like nothing anyone had ever heard (at least in the mainstream).

Queen has always creeped me out, and I have never seen one of their videos (other than Wayne's World).

I like Nirvana and grunge, but I'm also from Seattle and grew up there in the 80s and 90s, so perhaps I'm brainwashed--maybe it's the chem trails :D.

Queen, on the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of. They were too over-the-top and self-indulgent for me.

Queen... Freddie Mercury... brilliant? Huh. Well, they said the same about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain... I always thought it was gibberish.

I hear you, but that man could sing a tune like few, if any, can.

Recently, for the first time, I watched the music video for Bohemian Rhapsody. I don't get it. But I've never been interested in pop music of any sort. I was impressed by the vocals, however.

I too enjoy the music of Queen although would not in any way agree with their morals or worldview. Just because a person may be irreligious does not mean we can't admire their creativity in music.

Apparently the rest of the band did not like "Don't Stop Me Now" because they thought it glorified Mercury's partying and druggie lifestyle, which they did not approve of.

When I was at primary school, where all the teachers were professing Christians (my headmaster once randomly attended a black church in America and was asked to preach), one of the music teachers permitted us to bring a tape of a song to class, but forbade us from bringing Bohemian Rhapsody. Other students told me that it was because she was a Baptist and did not like the references to the Devil in it. I think that she was on to something about that song.

Such haters! I like Queen's music. There's a reason not to get all noisy in celebrities' personal business....you'll end up not having any music to listen ;)

Growing up in the 70's, rocking out in the 80's, regenerated in the 90's, forsaking secular music in the 2000's to protect my immaturity in the faith, and returning to experience the music of my youth from the other side in the 2010's is fun. I understand the lyrics in a whole new light.

Growing up in the 70's, rocking out in the 80's, regenerated in the 90's, forsaking secular music in the 2000's to protect my immaturity in the faith, and returning to experience the music of my youth from the other side in the 2010's is fun. I understand the lyrics in a whole new light.

Welcome to the board!

Mozart actually wasn’t what we would call a model citizen. lol

But Beethoven was! o_O

Seriously, many of our greatest artists historically (and that's a rather wide swath) have been wretches and wrecks. There are clear, notable exceptions, but many of the greats in this respect lacked personally in some serious way(s).

Peace,
Alan

...you'll end up not having any music to listen

And this is a bad thing?

So many people who ride along with me in the car are shocked, and even appalled, that I very rarely listen to music while I drive. I've been on 12+ hour trips, all alone in the car, without ever having turned on the radio (or analogous devices). I am comfortable with my own thoughts and enjoy the opportunity to meditate on God's Word and other beneficial mental activities. To me, 99.9% of the time (with music as part of worship being the notable exception) music is nothing more than a distraction. :2cents:

I don’t know if this comment was sarcastic or not, but Mozart actually wasn’t what we would call a model citizen. lol

I know. That was my point but we enjoy his cultural products. Though he was straight he was closer to Mercury in personal life than most would care to admit. With Queen there are fun songs and then songs to ignore.

And this is a bad thing?

So many people who ride along with me in the car are shocked, and even appalled, that I very rarely listen to music while I drive. I've been on 12+ hour trips, all alone in the car, without ever having turned on the radio (or analogous devices). I am comfortable with my own thoughts and enjoy the opportunity to meditate on God's Word and other beneficial mental activities. To me, 99.9% of the time (with music as part of worship being the notable exception) music is nothing more than a distraction. :2cents:
Personally I think it's kind of nice to have some background noise to my thoughts (though I often listen to audiobooks and podcasts instead of music). To each their own, I guess! But listening to music isn't always a bad thing though it can be.

And this is a bad thing?

I'm in your camp, James. But there's also the fact that I have my own music going on in my head along with my thoughts. I don't want the distraction!

I know. That was my point but we enjoy his cultural products. Though he was straight he was closer to Mercury in personal life than most would care to admit. With Queen there are fun songs and then songs to ignore.

Being a Kansan you may be familiar with Kerry Livgren. If not he is the gifted songwriter for the original "Kansas" . His is a great story of Spiritual Rebirth after a lifetime of suppressing the truth in unrighteousness. If you can overlook his not so reformed theology, his book "Seeds of Change" is a fun read. There are so many like me who can relate to the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back