Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a Kansan you may be familiar with Kerry Livgren. If not he is the gifted songwriter for the original "Kansas" . His is a great story of Spiritual Rebirth after a lifetime of suppressing the truth in unrighteousness. If you can overlook his not so reformed theology, his book "Seeds of Change" is a fun read. There are so many like me who can relate to the journey.

I'm aware of who your talking about. Kansas is legendary in Kansas. In fact they performed at my High School's prom in 1972 though that was 20 years before I graduated. I'll have to check that book out sometime. Glad he became a Christian and stayed one unlike say, Cat Stevens, who seemed to go through a religion a year.

Last edited:
Right.....Mozart is another example.

I don't recall Mozart ever writing an aria to Beelzebub, although he was, of course, a Romanist. So were Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Beethoven. They all produced sacred music for use in Roman churches.

Bach and Mendelssohn were Lutherans, so presumably they're in the clear.

If you judge only by the personal life of the artist, you'll have almost no music to enjoy, almost no books to read. Maybe that's fine with some, but I'd say it's unnecessary.

Fun fact: One English composer of the Elizabethan period, Thomas Tallis, was a devout Roman Catholic. Some of his tunes are still popularly used for the Scottish Psalter.

When I was growing up my mom belonged to a cult church who had rules about no music. Of course, I broke those rules all the time because I love music. I left that cult and after college joined a non-denominational church. It was always a struggle for me to leave music out of my life during my time in that church. I thought I was being righteous by listening only to Christian music on the radio. Couldn't stand the junk even then, but it was better than nothing. Then I joined the OPC and saw the light! I rebought all my favorite groups and also picked up some new groups from people here on PB. We have a lot of people here who have great taste in music! :D

I'm aware of who your talking about. Kansas is legendary in Kansas. In fact they performed at my High School's prom in 1972 though that was 20 years before I graduated. I'll have to check that book out sometime. Glad he became a Christian and stayed one unlike say, Cat Stevens, who seemed to go through a religion a year.

Yes, last I heard from him, a year or two ago, he was still teaching Sunday school in his church in Topeka.

I've heard the song Bohemian Rhapsody brought up multiple times as a reason not to listen to Queen. As far as I know, there is no direct meaning to the song, and it was meant to be silly yet serious, and left to the person's own interpretation. Why would a song that mentions Satan be all together not worth listening to? Even if it's about a fictional guy who killed someone and was haunted by a demon, how would this make it wrong to listen to? There are Christian works along the same theme.

About the song: "The actual meaning of the song as a whole remains opaque, on purpose. Freddie has claimed to have researched it quite thoroughly, saying, “‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ didn’t just come out of thin air. I did a bit of research, although it was tongue-in-cheek and it was a mock opera. Why not?” while also saying, “I think people should just listen to it, think about it, and then make up their own minds as to what it says to them.”

Suggested meanings include a veiled account of his sexuality and the affect this had on his relationship with his close friend Mary Austen, or a return to the trauma of being forced out of his native Zanzibar when he was 18. It could also be a song about a man who killed a man and endured feverish guilt dreams while fearing for his eternal soul."

Last edited:
The PB is a truly unique place. Only here can one see a theological hair dissected down to the atomic level because, you know, precision is everything. And on the very same day see a thread singing (pun intended) the merits of listening to whatever appeals to us because... well, just because, apparently. :2cents:

With this, I end my participation in this thread and will return to my quiet cave in the boarder lands. :tumbleweed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back